What do you guys think of the AFC East now?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by xeticus, Apr 26, 2009.

1. fr0zensm0ke

fr0zensm0ke Member

I second that notion, ya'll have mangini-itis. I'm so happy we rid ourselves of that guy. You guys need to do the same with DJ, he's a nice guy, but when it comes to coaching he just doesn't have what it takes.

My prediction this year is

Pats
    Jets
    Fins
    Bills

Pats- Brady is back (though he could always pull a Carson Palmer and never be the same), restocked their defensive depth in the draft, their system is great as much as I hate them.
    Jets- Redefined play style, will have a monster defense, run-first, and Sanchez will be put into the same type of situation that Flacco was placed into. I think he's got what it takes, only time will tell.
    Fins- The likelihood of Chad staying healthy through another entire season is very low. If Chad stays healthy, they will probably beat the Jets in the division this year.
    Bills- More talented team this year, but quarterback is still questionable, head coach isn't fit for NFL coaching, and you guys have TO... Subtraction by addition...

2. Gunther

Gunther Member

The wildcat might have turned into a fad, but they didn't have the right personnel to run it. With the addition of White there will be more options. So who knows what can really be done with it. Maybe this year we'll get to see some.

3. xeticus

xeticus Member

I think it's better than that. We have 2 young talented QB's backing him up. Two 2nd round picks. We're pretty excited about them. Even if Pennington goes down the Dolphins might still do good.

4. fr0zensm0ke

fr0zensm0ke Member

I know Chad Henne pretty well, I watched him play all his college ball, I'm a huge Michigan football fan... he has potential, and a pretty strong arm... but Miami isn't a great system for a young guy to just step in.... Don't get me wrong, they could still potentially do well with Henne Starting, in fact they plan to start him next year.

Pat White will never be a great NFL QB... he was drafted by you guys more for the wildcat than anything else... he's got great athleticism but he won't be a starter in this league.

5. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Not sure if Xeticus meant Beck or White, but Beck is still there, sort of. He looked pretty bad when he was inserted on that 07 team, but then again who wouldn't. I still think he's gone as soon as Ireland gets any decent offer for him though

6. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Beck was cut this past week.

7. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Cut? Wow, Ireland must have got nothing but bag of chips type of offers then. Damn

8. xeticus

xeticus Member

Actually I meant Henne and White. I completely discounted Beck from the get go. Supposedly he was shopped around for a 7th round pick before and after the draft and nada. No one was interested in him. If you ever read the Dolphins forums Beck had some devoted fanboys but most fans had long soured on him.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

11-5
    10-6
    7-9
    4-12

No good idea at this point of who is going where in that array.

10. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Look out, the Bills are gonna make the playoffs this year...:rofl:

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You mean the Bills and the Jets would have shared last place? Man, that's a very high-striving 'what-if' scenario you just came up with there. You're right, we're all discounting the Bills way too much. When Herm Edwards *cough* Dick Jauron bores away any hope of winning games yet again next season, make sure you drop by to say hi. Jauron is a loser. I'm glad he is your coach.

#51 abyzmul, May 5, 2009
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
  12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

hah - i'm still waiting for the clown from finheaven to send me the $300 check for betting me the bills would make the playoffs last season.
    :rolleyes:

13. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Do some research on Wood. His biggest negivites are his lack of mobility and push in drive blocking of the running game. I a division where you have to face some of the best NT's in football that could be scary.

Yes, Peter's gave up a lot of sacks last year, but what is the plan to replace him? Whom ever it is will be facing some serious pressure on passing downs from both 3-4 Linemen like Seymour and the edge rushers like Porter and Pace.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the '09 season.

14. xeticus

xeticus Member

I think the problem with the Bills is that they are in the AFC east. If they were in the AFC West for example they'd be in the playoffs each year.

15. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Regarding Beck from the Baltimore Sun:

16. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

i remember the bills were going to the superbowl after week 5 last year. 5-0 to what? 8-8? thats awful dude. i know the jets collapsed as well, but the two main culprits for that are long gone. as long as they keep whatever his name is at coach the bills will always be a .500 team give or take a game.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Two points on Beck:

1. He's an older guy because he went on a Mormon mission and got drafted at 25 as a result.

2. Bill Parcells rarely is wrong when he cuts a QB.

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Pats are going to be the team to beat for the foreseeable future, much as it pains me. They just draft too damn well. And often.

19. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

Unfortunately I have to agree....after watching them STILL go 11-5 last season...it left a pit in my stomach...the sad part is I think most Pats fans "settled" for 11-5 while we would kill for that kind of record nowadays

20. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

It felt like a good season for me. I don't know any Pats fan that expected 11-5 when Brady went out. Too bad they didn't make the playoffs, but it'd be hard to complain...

On the other hand, if this were pre 2001, I'd have been pissed off that something else threw a monkey wrench into my Super Bowl dreams.

I tell friends this all the time, the only difference between Jets fans and Pats fans, is Pats fans have been sated by success.

Unfortunately, with it brings the bandwagoners who act like they've been around forever and dump on others. When the Jets win a SB, and if Sanchez pans out, it could be in a few years, you'll see the same thing here.

As a Red Sox fan, I can tell you that I felt the same way about the Yankees as you guys do about the Pats. Big mouth bragging trolls, etc...

Once the Sox, and the fans stopped worrying about the Yankees and started just taking care of their own business, winning took care of itself.