WFAN radio reporting that when Torry Holt gets realeased the Jets will sign him

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Vilmalover51, Mar 10, 2009.

1. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

What are you basing this on?

2. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

Lito Shephard is to Ronnie Lott as Torry Holt will be to Art Monk.
    A trade for Braylon Edwards would get me excited. This doesn't.

3. StreetFighterJet

Guys, think about Isaac Bruce as well. The guy moved to the 49ers and is still very productive. Route running, discipline and great hands will always keep you productive longer than just pure speed.

Torry Holt still has it, there is no doubt about that, and I really hope we can add him to the roster, he would be a great asset on many many levels.

4. Christian

Christian Active Member

For the right price it wouldn't be a bad move at all. Not only would he take double teams away from Cotchery, but he could also be a mentor for the younger receivers on the roster and it would solidify the #1 reciever spot for a season or 2. Hopefully we draft someone that can be ready to take over starting duties by the time Holt retires.

5. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I can see it now. We will all be wondering if Chansi Stucky has what it takes to be a receiver this time next year because he will not play yet again because of Tory the latest band aid Holt! We have been delaying our Future for 40 years for the refusal to let out young guys play. We are not winning the Sb in 2010 Let the kids play!

6. Kamen

Kamen New Member

Holt would be a great pick up. He can step in now and bring stability to WR corps, and can help teach the young guys (stuckey, clowney) as well as whoever we bring in through the draft. His recent decline was definitely aided by an awful o-line that gave the QB no time to get him the ball. So if you sign holt and draft Nicks your set for precent and future.

7. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

8. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Awww man, now I'm having S.A.T. flashbacks.

9. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Kind of how we never found out if Leon Washington can be productive with Jones around of if Cotchery would be able to become a good receiver with Coles and Chrebet around. Too much talent on a football team is not a bad thing and the cream of the crop will rise.

10. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

That's why it makes sense to do this. The draft is fairly substantial in WRs, so it gives us the luxury of taking one with the physical tools but who isn't necessarily going to be an instant starter.

This isn't about being obsessed with "has-been, washed-up, over-the-hill veterans," it's about being smart and fitting someone in for as long as it takes to groom our own TO/Randy Moss.

11. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

this is a good move

12. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

Amen my brother preach on

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You mean Braylon '2007 and 2008 Drop King' Edwards?

14. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Cotchery & Holt will start, Stuckey will be in the slot (where I think he'll be the most productive), rookie will start at 4th WR and split time with the above 3 and Clowney can be a wild card, as a deep threat and/or a decoy

15. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Its a solid signing if it does happen.

I know the Rams last season were an awful team with a horrible O-Line and a lot of that had to do with Holt's production going down. But Holt is 32 and isnt a great WR anymore IMO.

But I still think he could be a good WR for us if we do sign him.

16. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

if he comes cheaper than coles would have i think he is easily equal to what coles would have given us. so it would be nice to save some money in the wr spot and keep about the same production coles would have had.

also this would pretty much allow the jets unlimited freedom in the draft. they could then go bpa and see what falls to them at 17.

17. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

And you still have Marcus Henry and Wallace Wright for depth. If we draft somebody, one of these two will probably have to go, but my point is, you're pretty much set at this position for now by taking Holt.

18. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

Just got this from rotoworld.
    The Sports Xchange's Howard Balzer reports that the Rams have uninvited Torry Holt and Orlando Pace from their offseason program.
    The Rams are trying to move on from the pricey duo, but this hurts their leverage in trade talks. Clearly, St. Louis isn't open to bringing back either in 2009. Holt reportedly hasn't heard from anyone in the organization since Steve Spagnuolo was hired as coach. It looks like Holt and Pace might both end up being released. Neither has been linked anywhere in a trade.
    He is about to get cut it would be stupid for the Jets not to at least look into it

19. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Agreed signing Torry Holt is a carbon copy of the Art Monk signing years back.

20. StreetFighterJet

Well true, there's no shocker that the Rams will release Holt... the question is do we give them a 7th rounder right now and get him or do we let him hit FA and then go to war with a couple of teams?