WFAN radio reporting that when Torry Holt gets realeased the Jets will sign him

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Vilmalover51, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Kenny

Kenny New Member

You guys are underrating Holt 1,000 yards 8 years in a row, last year he was not getting as many balls going his way and even in a down year for him it's still better then Coles... The Rams with all there problems were looking to try to get tere younger recievers established..

The guy had 1200 yards in 07 his usuall numbers, he's a HOF WR..

You guys knocking this move if it's made are nuts

2. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

Stop talking out of your ass. Here are his last 3 years:

93 1188 10 TDs
    93 1189 7 TDs
    64 796 3 TDs

The guy still managed 64 catches on a garbage team... he'll be fine.

He is an upgrade over Coles and would serve as a great mentor for whoever we draft at WR. Brining in a guy like this who ooozes class and knowledge is a great move.

3. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

Henry Ellard the former NFL WR has been the Rams WR coach for the last 8 years. He is now the Jet WR coach & him & Holt are good friends.

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I like the move short term as long as it's a friendly cap number. I am wishy washy on his ability to still play at a high level but even if we don't get Torry Holt from 5 years ago I still think it's an upgrade over Coles especially the team 1st attitude and the good influence on the young guys. He obviously had a good influence on Cotch who turned out to be a pretty good WR at NC State following in Holt's footsteps. This would lead me to believe we will be drafting a WR early maybe not 1st round but possibly in the 2nd round. Are there any guys that compare to Torry Holt in this year's draft?

5. StreetFighterJet

Hah, I was just about to post that!

Henry Ellard is the Jets' new receivers coach, the same Ellard who served as Holt's position coach for seven consecutive 1,000-yard seasons.

You beat me to it :( But I posted it anyway! How you like that sh1t?! :)

6. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

Mike just said Tory Holt wants to come, and since he likes Henry Ellard it looks good.

Sounds like something is in the works.

7. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

unless they got a vet QB in mind to sign. This is what I don't get if this is true? Why go out now and get a vet WR when we should had done that last season with Favre

8. Sanpetejets

Sanpetejets Member

THANK YOU... end of discussion... did anyone happen to see who his QB's were last year? (and yes, I know the jets will most likely have a young, unproven QB... I would still take our offense as a whole over last year's pathetic Rams squad)
    He also would have the NC State connection to Cotch, would be a good mentor to the younger wideouts, and means you wouldn't have to reach at the 17 for a WR.

9. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

1. It prevents us from going after a WR early in the draft, one who will develop and be here for years to come. What are we gonna do, carry 7 or 8 WRs?
    2. He will cost money, if everyone keeps saying he's as good as he is. It won't be the vet minimum because, clearly, he's better than that as this thread has shown.
    3. It prevents us from seeing what we have in the younger WRs in a year where we should experiment with them and try them out because this probably won't be a SB year.

That's why this signing doesn't make much sense to me.

10. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

Just to add to this the other 3 games are at Miami, Tampa & Oakland these 3 places are not my idea of cold weather slow track frozen grass fields. If anything these should be the 3 best weather games we have.

11. Salz

Salz New Member

1. It shouldn't prevent us from going after a WR early in the draft. It might be a blessing in disguise, though, if we don't take one in the first round now, as recent drafts have shown you could find very good WR's in the 2nd and 3rd round. Our two effective starters last year, Coles and Cotchery, were third and fourth rounders respectively. WR's in the first are risky unless it's a sure thing like Andre Johnson. You should look at it from the other perspective- if we get Holt, we could address another hole (DE maybe?) in the first round.

2. Yeah, he'll cost money, but if it's not for many years, it may not be a cap-killer.

3. Eh, he could help tutor the young kids, and with Brad Smith potentially leaving, Stuckey and Clowney are looking at being the 3 and 4 receivers, which should get them a decent amount of on the field action.

This probably won't be a SB year, but with the defense shaping up to be dominant, why not go for an obvious improvement at WR and see what happens? I support the move if the contract isn't a cap killer.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think it prevents us from going WR in round 2. In fact, at pick 17, I don't think it precludes us from going WR in round 1, either. It's apparently a good WR draft. I just don't see it with this CS. They will most definitely go defense in round 1. IMO.

#52 abyzmul, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  13. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

I see your points but Faneca, Woody, Jones, Jenkins, Pace, Coleman, Scott, Leonhard & Sheppard did not come hear to rebuild. They came hear to win now we had 7 pro bowlers this is a veteran team.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I would love to have Holt as a stop gap and would be a huge upgrade but I hope this wouldn't stop us from taking a WR in the 1st or 2nd round.

15. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

This would be a great pickup. Get it done!

16. Drew

Drew Active Member

I don't think it will be. This would give us a solid number 1 receiver which we have lacked for years.

He would be an immediate upgrade at the position and would help us for 2 years or so until the WR we draft either this year or next is ready to step in and be a number 1. I'm in love with those move.

Get it done, Tanny.

17. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Ravens fans are telling me that the Ravens are going to get him. Supposedly rumors involve many teams picking him up.

I'd like to see a signature on a contract....

18. StreetFighterJet

People that are worried about the financial aspect of signing Holt shouldn't. If anything has taught us anything thus far is that Tanny can work the cap like no other.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We are a garbage team on offense, why do you think he will be fine? We don't even have a QB.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Imagine how much a young QB could progress with a veteran WR on the squad like Torry Holt, we saw Joe Flacco and Derrick Mason create great chemistry together it and was a wideout that Flacco could depend on, Clemens/Ratliff could very well benefit from a veteran WR like Holt, especially add the fact that Holt isn't nearly of a locker room cancer like TO