We're going to regret not taking a WR

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by southparkfanciz, May 10, 2014.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Ah I then I misremembered. I thought Holmes was expected to miss time at the beginning of the season, but I could have easily misremembered.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

you are arguing that quantity is better than quality.
    that is a slippery slope of an argument, which is probably not true as many times as it is true. All comes down to the quality of your quantity, if that makes sense.

legler82 likes this.
  3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

To be clear at THIS point last season, which was the metric here, my recollection was it was up in the air whether Holmes would be available on opening day. It was still way too far off. Just want to be clear here.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I get what Brad is trying to say, but you are right, if you carry it too far, you end up saying quantity is better than quality. I mentioned this yesterday in talking about depth. Depth is great for dealing with injuries and also over time for developing future starters. But in the games themselves, it is your starters and major bench players like nickel back and third wideout, second Rb, who win games for you. Not your bench.

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

No yeah I got that. This point last year it was questionable.

As we got closer to the beginning of the season is when my memory becomes cloudy with Holmes and his availability.

6. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

after day two, i was pretty bummed that we didnt take a flier on moncrief ... but i think i see what idzik tried to do in targeting those day three receivers

saunders, evans, and enunwa have good measurables, were productive, and (by all accounts) hard workers ... they werent on the upper tiers of the WR class because they didnt have great production. but if you look at their collegiate teams, they played in run first systems that didnt provide an abundance of opportunities for them to make plays in the passing game

ucla, oklahoma, and nebraska were each top 30 in the nation in rush attempts and in the bottom 50 in pass attempts ... oklahoma and nebraska had especially hairy QB situations

i think idzik is calculating that these guys' production would be higher if not for extenuating circumstances and that they are actually day 2 type talents

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post and points. I hope you're right!!!

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's no way of knowing who is the better NFL player between Jordan Matthews, Jace Amaro and Shaq Evans. We can't know that at this point. Then you have the quantity over quality aspect, which comes into play only if Matthews is better than both Amaro and Evans, which we just can't know right now.

I get that if you liked Jordan Matthews you're pissed that the Jets did the right thing by not trading up for him. You wanted Jordan Matthews. You're not happy with Jace Amaro instead of him and you also don't value Shaq Evans very much because he wasn't one of the hyped receivers in the draft the way Matthews was.

All I'm saying is that none of us knows who the better player will be among the three of them and it's close enough that trying to make that call is next to impossible at this point.

If you give me virtually any three players who are in the realm of mid 2nd round to mid 4th round picks, with two of them being mid 2nd and one a mid 4th, and tell me I can either have my choice of the 2nds or I can have the other two guys I am going to take the two guys just about every time. It's the percentage play and it's the way you build a roster that is both talented and deep. Taking the one guy instead is the way you open yourself up to the vagaries of fate.

That's what Eric DeCosta was talking about when he said make more picks and get lucky. It's the way reality works.

If you really want to fantasize that you are better at picking players than most guys then go ahead and take the one guy but then prepare for your next career as a sports agent. That's also the percentage play at that point.

Jetaho likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would rather have the trio of Amaro, Sanders, and Evans over just 1 particular receiver. It creates depth and we can mix and match to create match-up problems. I am in favor of having multiple weapons instead of just 1.

I think Sanders and Evans will both have an impact with the Jets. This is coming from a guy that really wanted Lee or Matthews in the draft. Trading up wasn't worth it and we couldn't trade up anyway.

10. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

so the argument is quantity is better than perceived quality and that the perceived quality choice might not even be so when it comes to 2nd to 4th rounders this time around.

hrm... depends on the circumstance. I'll say that for the jets right now I'll agree but thats not universal. sometimes going after your man for whatever reason is a worthwhile venture, if the price is right that is.

now say we're talking Marqise lee for a second and fourth. you'll have a projected higher quality WR on roster, but Amaro goes elsewhere and our TE's are basically same as they ever were. is that better than what we have? well that depends on how well Lee turns out.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Which we can't know for any certainty at this point so we're better off with a quality prospect and a decent prospect than a high quality prospect.

Marqise Lee isn't even in the argument if he didn't get hurt last year, but he did, and so he accentuated the proposition instead of closing it.

Nobody wanted Lee more than me and to tell you the truth I didn't really like Amaro that much in the high pick category. I'd still rather have Amaro and Evans than Lee. I just hope the Jets get the most out of Amaro.

12. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

So by your quality over quantity argument, you would take Stephen Hill (#43) over and Alshon Jeffrey (#45) and Ladarius Green (#110) in 2012? I like it!

Br4dw4y5ux hit it on the head - We have no clue about these guys and how they will turn out. Could it be that our staff - you know, the guys whose livelihoods depend on this shit - wasn't that high on Matthews in spite of his Jerry Rice Tiger Blood? I heard we wanted to trade up for Lee - did you like him and at what cost? What if Matthews busts and we hit on BOTH Amaro AND Evans? We just don't know.

Br4d likes this.
  13. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

An easy way for me to view it is like this:

Let's say we use dice to represent a player selection in the Draft. If you roll a 6, then that's a starter (with a bunch of potential, along with what he already is).

You get one die to roll a 6, and I get three dice to roll a 6. We're both trying to roll a 6.

I know it's much more complex than that, but I view it as something along those lines.

Br4d likes this.
  14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

1 die to roll a 6 vs 3 dice to roll a 10.

Better odds that you hit on the 1 die on an individual roll, but the person rolling 3 times wins more often.

Br4d and The Uniform Bomber like this.
  15. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I was just rethinking my post, and I was going to edit it so that it said something more similar to what you just posted.

So, yeah, that's what I meant. =)

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah. This is what we are stuck with until TC starts. Arguing what if until we find out anything about any of the players drafted this year.

BTW, I know you were joking, but Jerry Rice Tiger Blood is overrated, Junior barely did anything at UCLA and went undrafted.

If my head wasn't so clouded with pain meds I'd start a thread about defensive schemes with the new personnel, but I'd just get distracted a few sentences in and give up.

#256 abyzmul, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  17. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

I watched him as well, and I saw him cut and change direction on a dime and also smoothly switch from a right shoulder to left shoulder catch, not always easy for a TE. I see a lot of the recently retired Tony Gonzalez's athleticism in Amaro. I'm not saying he'll be as good as Gonzalez but after watching his fluidity while running a route I don't believe he's a plodding stiff at all.