Welcome to the Jets Will McDonald IV

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KWJetsFan, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There are lots of Edges in this draft of all types, smaller, bigger, faster, quicker. It was not the position to reach at.

2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Maybe the Jets were unaware of your rankings.

Have you been able to get ahold of the FO and let them know?

dmw, Ptflea2 and chandler like this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

To be fair, being an older prospect is a pretty huge knock. Age relative to college success is one of the best barometers of likelihood of success in the pros. Having the same amount of success in college at 19 years old vs. 22-23 tends to make a massive difference on your likelihood of being good at the next level.

All Gas No Shake and James Hasty like this.
  4. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

We have Lazard, Wilson, Davis and Hardman ahead of any receiver they would have taken, and Uzomah, Conklin and Ruckert ahead of any TE. Neither position was an area of immediate need

NCJetsfan and soh_vet like this.
  5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

This will pay off big time in the 4th quarter when the Jets send fresh pass rushers after opposing QBs.

6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Uh, the offense is also very strong. They upgraded the QB position just a bit...LOL. Also, when healthy, there is a lot of talent on the O.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

If there is 1 position in the NFL where you want to invest a ton of premium picks in, it's edge rusher. In todays NFL it's probably the 2nd most important position behind QB, they are hard to find and cost the 3rd most in the NFL currently (behind QB and WR) having elite edge rushers on cheap rookie contracts is a key to winning the SB. The eagles d-line was stacked and they are a SB contender and even they took a D-lineman.

Jets79 and chandler like this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We have 1 receiver who could be considered elite, and 0 TEs. Some type of receiving threat was absolutely an area of need. At the very least, it was as much of a need as a situational pass rusher. JSN is also a better WR prospect than McDonald is an edge prospect.

KY Jets Fan, Lon Chaney and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Just read an independent article on the first round picks with grades
    Said the Jets “were caught off guard “by Pitt moving ahead of them at 14 grabbing last OL
    But in scrambling for a decision the OLB pick got them grade C
    Better selections were available lol

tomdeb likes this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

And if there’s one thing we know for sure it’s that grading draft picks before they even step foot on the field rarely ever comes back to bite anyone in the ass and is usually a fantastic way of evaluating a player.

dmw likes this.
  11. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I am hoping JD, Saleh, and WM IVth are taking receipts!! :)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

Luckily for the jets he has success at younger ages, as well

13. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

If he was so elite, he would be off the board well before 15 and wouldn’t be mocked in late 1 / 2nd rounds. You sound like a total homer that just glosses over every pick.

Borat likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Brian Burns, 19th overall
    Matthew Judon, 5th rounder
    Hassan Reddick, 15th overall
    Chris Jones, 2nd rounder
    Alex Highsmith, 3rd rounder
    Maxx Crosby, 4th rounder

All of these players finished top 10 in sacks this year. “He would have been gone by 15 if he was so good” is an insanely lazy take. And then to tell someone else THEY are glossing over things? Bold.

dmw likes this.
  15. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

If "JSN" was so elite, he would be off the board well before "20" . You sound like a total homer that just glosses over every pick.

16. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

So now that we’re at page 13 can we just welcome the kid to the team and root for him? JD’s fate will be written soon enough.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

it was an assumption and false.
    jets were actually expecting RB gibbs who was likely going in the 15-20 range. Lions traded up for him. at that point mcdonald was our top player and JD knew he could slide down and still get him so tried to trade back for more picks but no takers. it was a weird unpredictable draft. levis was the favorite to go 2nd overall and possible even 1st and he didn't even get drafted in the 1st round at all. The draft class overall was weak and teams weren't really in agreement on much and the media was way off from what teams actually thought of the players. most teams said only 12-15 players had 1st round grades. Even the trade ups were done at shit value compared to previous years.

JD was playing his board mcdonald was the top one, saleh loves an abundance of edge rushers and based on what i've seen from this dude, he's impressive. His draft stock is hurt by age (he's 24) and that he isn't great in the run game, but as a pure rusher he's probably the top in the class. He has all the traits JD and saleh like. High production (broke von millers big 12 sack record, multiple 10+ sack seasons) , Elite athletic traits/RAS, business like work ethic. dude will be a stud rusher for us

18. GasedAndConfused

JSN would have been the 5th or 6th best WR in last years draft.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yes but McDonald was successful as a 20 & 21 year old. He had 17 sacks in those 2 seasons combined (2019-2020). So talk like this is essentially just punishing him for staying in school.

I think it would be a different story if he was a part time player until his super-senior season...

which by the way, was kinda the case with Tyree Wilson, edge rusher the Raiders took at no. 7, who will also be 23 next month. In 2019 & 2020 when Mcdonald was having all league season in the Big 12, Wilson was a part time player at 2 different schools finishing with 3 sacks total

abyzmul likes this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I don’t see it that way at all…I see it as 3 premium picks into THE most premium position on D…rushing the passer

In fact, the LACK of premium picks at this position by Mac was one of my biggest issues with him…he chose a damn safety high…and 2 DTs (QW has earned and delivered on that high draft pick more than LW did)

Yes we rotate a lot, but I don’t see that as a “part time” player, I see that as what we do, and it was working pretty well last year. By what I’ve seen, this player is perfect for the wide 9 style we run…put him outside the tackle and let him use his speed to blow by him. And if we rotate him with the other guys so be it…we will always have a fresh guy out there

I don’t mind the position pick at all…granted I did want OT and it’s still a HUGE need for us, but once that was gone, I wanted either WR or DE…we got the edge guy. I can live with it…

NCJetsfan likes this.