Welcome to the Jets Olumuyiwa Anthony Fashanu (OT)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Outside of a couple of guys here who always go all in on whoever is picked first (and hold out through years of failure) the consensus among the "experts," as well as the majority of us mooks, appears to be that Fashanu has the makings of a long term player but will need a lot of work to be ready for prime time.

Just who is it that the Jets have earmarked to provide that lift he needs to excel? Keith Carter? The guy who had problems in both Atlanta and Tennessee and certainly did nothing here last year worth noting but was endorsed by Saleh after a miserable season for his unit? Don't the Jets want better to support their new golden child?

abyzmul likes this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I think it’s a great pick…we need to fix this damn OL. I do think he’ll play this year as likely Smith won’t make every game…but there’s also the possibility that he may play OG for a bit too if needed…not sure it they’ll want to do that with him, but he wouldn’t be the first guy to start at OG and move to OT later. So he may play more than we think this year…not sure I’d characterize this as “drafting a backup”…if our two starting tackles weren’t both on the wrong side of 30 and bringing some injury history, sure, then I’d be singing a different tune. But they are.

On top of that, this is the right move for next year as well.

I think it’ll be easier to find a good WR on day 2 than a good OT on day 2, so I like this way of going. Had our line been better, I’d have loved to be in a position to get someone like Bowers, but fixing OL is more important than TE. I would have liked a WR badly as well, but for some reason that I can’t really put my finger on, I’m a bit wary of Odunze…maybe the lack of elite speed or suddenness or whatever, but I’d have liked him at 10 as well…I would not have liked a trade up for him.

I think JD did well…we traded down a spot to pick up additional picks and still got the OT we wanted.

3. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

the OL has been a disaster for 3 years, actually longer than that. JD has tried and for the most part failed to build an OL... Having said that, this was a sound pick irrespective of what some posters comment about the window of opportunity.

They need to restock the OL talent... if they draft two more OL people I be ok with that but my guess is WR next and maybe a developmental QB later...

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

smallest hands of any lineman? Or any, any player?

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yes but top 10? :(

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I thought it was any player, but looks like it's actually among OL.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think McCarthy is going to wind up being the best QB in this class.

9. ColoradoContrails

Maybe he doesn't become what we hope - so many draftees don't - but somehow Olu only gave up 1 sack his entire college career. I don't think he'd be able to do that if his technique was poor. Sure, he'll struggle a bit like all rookies do as he has to adjust to the speed and strength of NFL players, but he should be able to learn and grow, as he showed he was able to do at PSU.

10. ColoradoContrails

We haven't had any QBs that could help pass catchers become anything better during most of that time. And not coincidently we haven't had a good OL for most of that time.

We have a good QB now if he stays healthy, but a big part of him staying healthy is having a good, dependable OL. Without these two key pieces, this team goes nowhere, even if they have the greatest TE or WR in college on their team.

Jets79 likes this.
  11. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Anybody want to do the Venn Diagram showing all the posters who bitched about the Steelers jumping over the Jets to draft an OT last year and all the posters bitching about the Jets drafting an OT this year?
    Kinda feels like Jets fans just want to be mad about the draft no matter what.

Kronoking, Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's almost as if positional needs change from year to year. Wild concept.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Right, because our roster suddenly became filled with some quality, durable OT depth...

14. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

And 3 months ago before the combine and pundits continuously juggling their mock drafts to stay relevant, Fashanu was a concensus 2nd best OT ready to come in and be a beast at pass blocking with some work needed at his run blocking. The same kind of shit that suddenly skyrocketed a shithead like Zack Wilson is the same kind of shit that suddenly devalues a great player. Fashanu is a stud. He’ll be ready to step in the moment Smith gets hurt and he’ll be the guy on the left side for the next 10 years.

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Your response is totally unresponsive to my question about the OL coach. Certainly you're not of the opinion that Fashanu has had all the coaching he needs?

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Most of the time, the bold is true or should be. IMO one should judge each situation on its own merits. Blindly following some tenet or principle is not the wisest thing to do. In this situation the Jets needed to draft one of their future starting OTs. They couldn't depend upon getting two next offseason, and they needed someone capable of backing up Smith this season. Also, due to Hackett's incompetence, Bowers basically would have been a wasted pick for as long as Rodgers is here, because Hackett will be here that long as well, and he would have been clueless on what to do with Bowers.

Jets79 likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't remember who it was, but someone was complaining about JD using so many high draft picks on the OL claiming that the best teams find them in the mid rounds. Well, the Steelers took an OT in the 1st round last year, they took another OT in the 1st round this year, and then took an IOL in the 2nd round, and the last time I looked the Steelers are a good team that is well run, managed, and coached.

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

They sure do

But this particular need has not really been addressed…two old and one injury prone OTs don’t seriously address the need to me

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well we traded up! Got that receiver! Corley

Super happy with our first two picks

you’d have to compare this duo to say, Bowers and whatever OT is still available.

And agree with the posts above…Fashanu was the 2nd or 3rd tackle in everything I read until recently when all the post combine monkey business and clickbait happens. I am always wary of guys who climb the charts after the combine if they weren’t already up there after the season ended.

This talk about calling Fashanu a “developmental pick” to me is lazy and bullshit. He was always considered among the top tackles. This wasn’t a reach.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

What drives me crazy about JD is he is suppose to be a oline guru . So you expect a unit of 3rd rd sleepers dominating . We have spent so much draft capitial and free agent money on the o-line for his tenure and we could have a decent one finally or it could all explode. Bowers was the pick , all the great teams have a stud tight end and this kid is a stud