Welcome to the Jets Olumuyiwa Anthony Fashanu (OT)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 25, 2024.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Quick aside -

Fashanu is a very bizarre athlete. Both of his parents are 5'8. He's 6'6. Despite his height, he has the smallest hands ever measured at the combine. I would imagine the hands play a role in defenders being able to disengage from him so easily.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on!

3. NCJetsfan

Utter nonsense.

JetFanInNE and westiedog1 like this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It's nonsense that a rookie LT with a noted need to develop as a run blocker isn't going to step in and give us high level play?

5. NCJetsfan

Pearsall is definitely a great prospect, but he was always going early in the 2nd round if not bottom of the 1st. I was wrong about him initially. Corley is another slot WR whom I hope the Jets have targeted. Supposedly, they were going to draft Jahmyr Gibbs in last year's draft until some other team (Pittsburgh?) took him. Corley is a playmaking, YAC beast in the same vein. Adding him in the 2nd round would make this draft a HR regardless of whomever else the Jets add.

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Did Brick give us high level play as a rookie? He never improved much as a run blocker and he was a damn good LT. Fashanu is bigger and stronger, and is just inconsistent in his run blocking. He will improve, but even if not, I'd settle for the second coming of Brick. Every rookie has things that they need to work on to get better and improve. That would have included your boy Bowers or whatever WR you wanted.

7. BroadwayAaron

So because one of the best LTs in franchise history did it, that means a guy who was compared to him will? I dont think you read what I said. Never did I say Olu is going to struggle to do anything. I said AS A ROOKIE stepping in and giving us high-level play.

REVISion likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I have no doubts that Bowers will have a good NFL career. Just how good depends upon his situation with the Raiders, and how creative/competent their OC and CS is. It's a fact however, that 1st round TEs often bust, and even those who don't bust, usually don't put up great numbers their rookie season. With Hackett as the Jets' OC, there is no way that Bowers would have been used effectively or as he should be. Fashanu OTOH could definitely save the season for the Jets when Smith goes down with his inevitable injury, because with Warren, Mitchell, Leno, D. Smith backing up T. Smith, Rodgers would have been running for his life on almost every drop back, and could have definitely gotten injured again trying to escape the pressure.

It sucks that JD screwed up with Becton and that the Jets were in a position where they had to get another potential long-term starter at LT, but that was the reality. It would have been even worse, had JD ignored that reality and taken Bowers or traded up for Odunze when Smith went down with injury. The fact that JD tried to trade up for Odunze shows that he hasn't learned a damn thing, so imo he should still be fired at the end of this season regardless of how the season plays out. He's just too inconsistent. He's made some good and even great moves and picks in the draft, but there are more questionable and bad ones than good ones. I think that everyone will wind up being happy that JD wasn't able to trade up for Odunze and we got Fashanu instead. We lucked out on that one. As the saying goes, sometimes the best moves are the ones one didn't make. I think that's definitely the case with JD most of the time.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

No, it doesn't mean that he definitely will, but he has a chance to, and he certainly has a greater chance to do so than some schlub taken in the 3rd round. I believe that Olu will give us higher level play than any veteran the Jets could have added even if they had plenty of cap space. D. Smith sucks. Charles Leno is not much better and maybe worse. Bakhtiari can't stay healthy. Odds are that he would have already been on IR when Smith goes down with injury. Having to have a rookie step in and play isn't ideal, but due to JD's earlier screwups with the OT position and the OL, it was the best possible solution in this situation. The Jets have to keep Rodgers healthy. That has to be their #1 priority.

10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Corley is my choice too.
    Most of the mock drafts that I have read have Rice as a third rounder. So if the jets want him, I hope they don't move up.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Potentially, yes, but he would have been the 3rd option behind G. Wilson and M. Williams. Breece and Conklin are going to get their opportunties as well. Did all of those other teams have 2 WRs ahead of the rookie, and have a RB and TE who were going to get their share of opportunities as well? Even if so, it would make no difference if Rodgers goes down with another serious injury. That WR or Bowers would have been as useless as tits on a bull in that situation. In addition, the Jets aren't in the place where they can afford to go all in on one season and totally forget about the future. Supposedly, Rodgers is going to be the starting QB next year as well. There's no way the Jets should have gone into the next offseason with Warren and Mitchell as the potential starting OTs, and unless the 2025 draft is as loaded at OT as this one is, there's no way the Jets could have taken two starting caliber OTs, and then they'd have been starting two rookie OTs, which is far from ideal. In this way, Fashanu has a year to learn from Smith and Moses, work to improve his run blocking, refine/clean up his pass blocking technique, and get some experience, so he should be able to start day one next year and play at a higher level.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  12. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I like the pick and I also think Douglas and Saleh should stay around long term. All the scribes and posters who are sure they are going to get fired have no idea. This is a long term pick and GM’s and Coaches on the hot seat don’t usually do that.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I love the pick, but the problem is that if it's true that JD was trying to trade up to take Odunze, that would have been more of a short-term, all-in pick, and it would have left Rodgers and the season extremely vulnerable. I have my doubts as to how good Odunze will be in the NFL, but at best, he would have been the #3 option after G. Wilson and M. Williams, and both Breece and Conklin would have gotten their opportunities as well, so I think Odunze's impact would have been minimal, and certainly less than Fashanu's, who could very well save the season for the Jets when Smith goes down.

14. BroadwayAaron

Odunze would have been WR2, at the very least WR2B next to Williams. Not even worth talking about now, unfortunately.

And if a rookie LT saves the season I don't even know what the fuck the story of our season was leading up to the day Super Olu blessed us.

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We haven't had a group of pass catchers better than bottom 5 in the league for 2 decades and we're worried about having too much talent to get them all touches. Idk what else to say lol.

chandler likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I wasn't worried about getting them all touches. I'm just pointing out reality, which is something obviously you choose to ignore. I would love to load up on receiving talent/weapons at both WR and TE, but if you can't protect your QB and give him time to find the receivers, they're useless. It would be one thing if Rodgers was still in his 20s and very mobile. He isn't. He's 41 and coming off of an achilles tear.

#136 NCJetsfan, Apr 26, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  17. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Man, 100% true, and I hate you for pointing it out.

I feel bad for Olu. Seems like a nice kid and, like you, I don’t hate the pick. But I’m sure he’s oblivious to the bigger picture wrapped around his draft slot. He has no idea how much he can’t fail.

18. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Like i told the other guy, and just like then this isn't meant to come across as a dick.

Nobody on either side was arguing that the idea concept of having another offensive player talent was a bad one in itself. But at end of the day there is the opportunity math that has to goes into any evaluation equation there. Just because you refuse to do or acknowledge any of that math doesn't make it less of a surrounding consideration factor.

The main problem on offense isn't actually the lack of another rookie weapon. That's more the 2 decades of shortsighted thinking and results talking then anything else imo. The main current problem is not being able to get enough efficient production out of the 2 league best type player weapons we already have. If Rodgers can even half live up to the hype and deliver on a solution to that many here clamoring for "moar" want to believe he can a first year rookie isn't making or breaking that success equation.

#138 Kronoking, Apr 26, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Watching Olu's introductory presser...

Seems like a good kid... says he's comfortable at any OL position... just wants to help the team win.
    Stoked to be playing with Tyron Smith.

Wants to hit up Peter Lugers & Carbones...

p.s. The new helmets are tits... :p

20. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I know it's catty but this is hysterical

REVISion likes this.