Welcome to the Jets Olumuyiwa Anthony Fashanu (OT)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 25, 2024.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I’d like to take a swing at QB this draft too.
    The draft is not about the current season, it’s about stability and the future.

Very impressed they went OT, and it was the right choice for future of this team.
    In terms of this season though, Olu is going to see more playing time than any of us would like, and might just save the season.

#101 BacktoQueens, Apr 26, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The move is for the Jets teams through 2034, hopefully.

You don’t know exactly how the kid will play this season. Maybe he thrives by being thrown into a challenging situation. Scouting reports are not the last word…not even close a lot of the time.

3. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

As I posted yesterday pre-draft and will again state here. If anything this is a lot more suggestive of a reality where Aaron Rodgers doesn't get anywhere near to as enamored as the outside GFIN paper theorists do with the prospects of a first year rookie WR/TE contribution. And where Rodgers himself likely values the projectable health and sustainability aspects going in to his O-line construction a lot more then some of you guys apparently do. Because yes, I do still indeed believe he had a major consideration say in this decision.

Find the $4-5m to sign his boy OBJ, who is perfectly capable of giving us the same general production level as a 3/4 option guy that anybody should of been expecting out of a rookie this year, and LFG next year. I know it wasn't trendy to make any real effort to acknowledge the following, as it directly conflicted with a lot of draft need narratives, but i'm also actually pretty optimistic to see what type of upgraded contribution we get out of Conklin when it's not Zach Wilson throwing him the ball. Which given I'm probably the least optimistic on this board on Rodgers atm is also kinda ironic when you really think about it.

Joe did great here day 1. If a good WR prospect option happens to be there for us in the 3rd all the better (I'm not sold we'd have the capital to trade up in the top half of the 2nd where i'd more support a trade up effort)

SOJAZ, hornblower and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Hectorfor3

Hectorfor3 Active Member

This is a good pick Not the sexy one or the media pleasing one but the kind of pick you make when you're going back to doing things the right way. The Jets badly need the depth at T and this kid, from everything I'm reading, seems to be a great pass protector and good run blocker who should get better and start for over a decade. Nobody wants a repeat of last year on the O line or we are dead in the water again.

Rodgers needs to be protected so this move helps us now and well into our next QB. Maybe the Jets can trade up into the second round for a WR which would be ideal. I'd also like to see a developmental QB later.

Regardless, taking Bowers was way too risky for this team. I'm old enough to remember Johnny Mitchell and Kyle Brady. Dustin Keller was ok for a few years but didn't justify the first round pick either. Conklin is productive and I don't think we've yet seen what Ruckert can do so I'm comfortable with them as our TE 1 and 2.

As always, we will see....

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If Rodgers is healthy, it will be tough to beat the Jets this year. The defense is too good and honestly the offense is too with him behind center. Think positive!

6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I especially like your last sentence. You hit the nail on the head of the remaining draft needs.

7. Kronoking

I don't think you would of found anybody projecting more then that on the high end from year 1 Odunze either. At least not in this offense and behind Garrett Wilson likely maintaining a strong hold on the target share with the uptick in QB play.

I want the WR as the next pick too but people really need to temper down the rookie contribution expectations imo.

SOJAZ and sozopol like this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If Odunze has a Lamb-esque year 1 I would not be shocked at all. He won't because he's playing with a rookie QB but I would have 0 issues penciling him in for close to 1k yards on 60-70 catches if he had Rodgers throwing to him.

dawinner127 likes this.
  9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

10 rookie pass catchers last year went over 600 yards. The only WR in the first round who fell short was QJ and Rome would have been WR1 in that class last year by a mile. Romes floor would have been 600 yards on this offense IMO.

[​IMG]

10. Kronoking

So where does that leave you on Garrett Wilson's projection? Where does Mike Williams fall in? Does Conklin's production go up or down with the uptick in QB play? Breece Hall saw a ton of opportunity looks in the Hackett offense last year, and there really is no reason to believe that wouldn't carry over or even increase within this year's Hackett offense. Where does that fall in?

The "breakout rookie making a big impact!" concept you've fallen in love with, while isolating it out from any surrounding context, doesn't take place in a vacuum man. To better understand the decision logic in drafting Fash yesterday you need to start from there. Which with all due respect you've seemingly refused to up to this point as it doesn't really do your narrative case any favors when you do.

That goes for the above post as well.

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Man who loves taking their opinion, making it fact, then talking down to whoever doesn't agree more than you? It's possible to ask the questions in the first paragraph without being a dick in the second. It's a shame because it's a good discussion point but it's hard to want to spend time on a thoughtful response when you know you're going to be talked to like a sixth grader writing a book report.

Garrett Wilson should be an absolute stud with Rodgers. 1500 yards without question. I think Mike Williams will miss a few games and I don't think he's going to get the same target share he got in LA and that's fine. He just needs to be a deep threat that also converts on the deep shots we DO take. If he plays 13 games, 700 yards, 6 TDs, that's probably a win. If you put Odunze on this team I think Williams would have taken even more of a backseat. Why is it crazy to assume a team with a high-powered offense (god willing) would have three guys over 6-700 yards?

12. Kronoking

You are reading more into text then is actually there. There is nothing in what I said where i was trying to be a dick. Just clarifying the flaws I find in your stance. Which again with all due respect seem a lot more concerned with the "facts" here then a lot of this vacuum speculation imo.

Appreciate the detailed and counter reply. You didn't include Conklin btw as we keep adding to the projected passes Rodgers throws as a 41yo in a pretty good bet to be a run heavy offense.

13. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I get the frustration, and there were two clear ways to go with this pick, but if you have failed at something, why shouldn't you have another go at it? I don't think that just because Becton washed out, JD should have shied away from bringing in a new left tackle. I think we desperately need a better offensive line and that includes depth. In the short-term we now have depth. The year after this we hopefully have a long-term starter ready to slide in.

What is worse? Admitting a mistake and trying to make amends (the reasoning behind the Rodgers trade as well) or ignoring that you made a mistake and merrily bringing in players elsewhere? I'm old-fashioned, I know. I firmly believe that an offense starts with the line - you have to have five of them on the field, at least, on every play. It's in the rules. You don't even need to have a tight end on the roster.

Having said that, I totally accept that if JD hadn't butchered the Becton pick, we would have been able to get a talent like Bowers in this draft, because we wouldn't have needed a left tackle. That is a damn shame, but if you keep falling over when you try to stand up, I don't think the answer is to start trying to flap your arms and fly.

14. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Just seems a little sideways when a 7-10 team that missed the playoffs targets its biggest draft need as OL depth. Yeah yeah, I get it. QB blows out his achilles and we took full advantage of free agency, so it shouldn't really be called a 7-10 team. Feels very mid-2000s-ish. I have this haunting feeling that I'm going to open my eyes around Week 9 and see Brooks Bollinger running for his life in the backfield.

15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I remember actually liking Bollinger. I'd like to see some of his games again to see if I was on crack or something at the time...

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If that's the case, then they're dumber than I thought, and JD should still get fired.

tomdeb likes this.
  17. Kronoking

I would actually view it the other way.

I mean the team legit loving a specific guy and his future prospects as a player is different then just drafting whoever is the best WR left on the board because 'I want to add a 2024 weapon". Which they clearly didn't do.

I wouldn't of liked it, but I'd of at least understood it more then the logic typically going in to that above latter.

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I've somewhat come to terms with the pick. I still would've preferred Bowers but I've seen some very sharp people say that taking an OT was the right move.

I'm not sure I'm totally convinced on Fashanu himself yet though. His tape is mediocre. Slow feet, lets guys disengage easily. I'm hoping his feet just appear slow because he has crazy long legs and is taking huge strides. I might be coping though.

On the other hand, he's been the consensus #2 OT behind Alt for the vast majority of the offseason and that has to count for something. He's also strong in pass pro which I think is ideal if you can't be strong at run+pass blocking. He's very young and has very long limbs, so his ceiling should be very high from a technique+gaining strength perspective.

ukjetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I hear what you're saying, and agree just in terms of getting the WR they wanted, but imo, one, they couldn't afford to trade up, and two, by a wide margin, OT was a much bigger need than WR. If Rodgers goes down with an injury for any length of time, the season is over. If that happened to G. Wilson (perish the thought), it would certainly be devastating, but not as devastating as losing Rodgers. The Jets could still survive losing Wilson. They couldn't losing Rodgers.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I haven't seen Rice projected to go anywhere near the 2nd round. They don't really mean all that much, because NFL teams frequently see things very differently than the media, but in the mock drafts I've seen and in the WR rankings lists, Rice is usually taken in the 3rd or 4th round, and he's far enough down the ranking lists where that makes sense. Of course, it only takes one team, but I'll be surprised if he goes before the 3rd round.

I'd like to add him as a 2nd WR pick in this draft, but I really want Malachi Corley. If it's true that the Jets were going to take Jahmyr Gibbs in the draft last year, then they should be very high on Corley as well, as he is a YAC, playmaking beast.

SOJAZ and tomdeb like this.