Welcome to the Jets Olumuyiwa Anthony Fashanu (OT)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Newly signed receiver gets open. Rodger’s pulls back.

*CRUNCH*

he ded (as the kiddies would say)

——————

I see more value in giving Rodger’s better protection than adding someone who can get open more easily than the stiffs we have now. Rodger’s can throw and scheme people open as well as make good calls based on the defenses he sees. Unless his game has fallen off a cliff he’s the most valuable offensive player we have. They need to do everything they can to keep him on the field.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don’t know why we keep pretending that this is going to help Rodgers. If Olu sees the field he’s still going to be a rookie that needs developing. Hes not going to step in and give us high level play year 1. It’s part of his scouting report. This move is for the 2026 Jets which won’t have Rodgers, the GM that drafted Olu or the coach that coached him.

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Exactly how I feel. I want Joe D and Saleh gone even if we make the playoffs. They are not the long term answer. But too bad they will both stay if we make the playoffs. I hope Woody doesn't give them a long extension.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I'm not bragging, but this time the Jets pick matched with my desired pick in terms of position. I didn't know enough about the different OTs to determine which one was better. They really need another WR, but they were desperate for another OT. That's how I judged what I thought they should pick. I thought the pick would be Bowers based on the opinions of many of the best experts. In the end, it was all a smokescreen and some of those "experts" may have been in on the deception.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  5. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Hello BroadwayAaron, may I introduce the New York Jets. Have you met? Apparently not, because if you had, you’d know that the chances of Olu not seeing substantial playing time is just about ZERO percent. It’s more likely he gets more playing time than anyone expected and we’ll still have OL depth issues.

And if by some grace of the football gods he doesn’t, it means our starting veteran OL has somehow stayed healthy all year, which would be amazing.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

On the bright side, if you look at the serial drafting/discarding of WRs from Mims to Moore to Wilson, the future looks bright.

7. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

No it's not, he's not some extremely raw rookie that needs extensive development before he can start. There are a couple of scouting reports that say he is developing in the run game but you really need to back off the narrative that he can't be an effective player day 1 if need be. There are twice as many "scouting reports" that say he is the most polished pass protector in the draft and can play right away then the ones you cherry pick to fit your narrative.
    I typically really enjoy your posts but when you get dug in on something you tend to wish it into reality when in fact Olu is the 2nd best T in a draft absolutely loaded with OL talent and would start on almost any other team that drafted him without hesitation. If a team that needed a LT drafted him do you think the fans on their message board would be clamoring for a vet LT to allow Olu to sit and develop? No, they would be thrilled to have Olu start from day 1.
    I know you wanted Bowers but you were in the minority (albeit the vocal minority) and the fact that not only did we sure up a glaring need at OL but received a 4th and 5th as well is a good draft. C'mon man, look on the bright side lol.

8. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering about all the folks who wanted an elite WR or TE at this pick -- have you learned nothing from watching this team play without a QB? This is a reminder that Aaron Rogers played 4 snaps last season, and our backup, Tyrod Taylor has missed games for injury the last 4 straight seasons.

Protecting the QB had to be the priority because Brock Bowers or whomever you were imagining wasn't going to do squat with whatever QB we can pull off the couch with available names like Trevor Siemian and Feleipe Franks....

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

At no point did I say he’s a deer in headlights. Never once called him extremely raw. My point, which I’ve been talking about for weeks if not months, is that we’re asking a rookie who needs work in facets of his game to step in and play the hardest position on the offensive line at a level higher than any of our current backups. From a pass protection perspective I’m sure he can but first year LT have a whole lot more to worry about than pass protection. It’s mental as much as it is physical.

10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

In what way would drafting Bowers have changed any of that? And yes, whoever takes over would be delighted to have a left tackle in place (assuming Fashanu is as good as we hope he is) because it is one of the cornerstones of a franchise.

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

We drafted a rookie to play OT recently and he had a significant, positive impact on the offense until injuries happened and his weakness (speed rush) was discovered.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I disagree. I expect him to see significant time this season. Working with Rodger’s will certainly do more for him than our “OC” will.

13. NOVAJET

I actually meant that for Abyz but your posts and his are similar in this aspect. Apologies lol, guess both of you guys were kinda on the same page.

14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

It was the correct move as far as position anyway. Bowers looked tempting but for the Jets it would of been a luxury. The Jets are not quite in that “take the bpa” position yet.

I do expect WR to be the next pick whether it’s via trade up or if they stay put.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and sozopol like this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't care about scouting reports, most of them are off the mark compared to what I am seeing when I look at games. Olu has all the physical tools (except maybe for his smurf hands) but when I watch him at the LT spot he still makes me nervous. His footwork doesn't seem as confident as I would like and he seems really mindful of his technique when that kind of thing should be an afterthought for a guy taken at 11. His handfighting isn't something I'd brag about either. He is not a guy I want starting at LT as a rookie. I consider that problematic when we could have had an instant contributor in a Win Now year.

REVISion likes this.
  16. NOVAJET

I wanted Odunze pretty bad, I was hoping to trade up but it didn't happen. Bowers would have contributed but what, optimistically 600 yards and 6 TDs? I think Conk has more than that this year and is my sleeper TE in fantasy football so maybe Brock pushes 700 yards but that would be quite an accomplishment for a rookie TE. I would have much rather had a WR, that said deep down I think I always knew OL was the right move. I still think we get a WR via trade up or look into who's available to trade for. There are some intriguing names out there still, we will get another weapon one way or another. Wish Pearsall fell and we could have traded up but the dream is over now..

NCJetsfan and Jets81 like this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think lots of people are truly missing the boat on Brock Bowers but we'll only find out now with time. Pick 10 (which is basically the pick since Douglas controlled both picks) is valuable real estate to be using to patch your old and unresolved mistakes. Another way to look at this, and it would be entirely correct, is that Joe Douglas used this Win Now pick as his Mekhi Becton do-over. Those optics suck.

I'm not going to be down on the Olu pick itself because it could benefit the team in the long run, but the situation it was made in kind of stinks to me. It stinks of incompetence and lack of accountability.

Sundayjack, REVISion and Acad23 like this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Love the pick by Joe Douglas. I agree that he wanted a WR probably, but the top 3 were gone. Getting a franchise LT at #11 and a free 4th and 5th round pick was great. Olu was one of my top choices but I thought the Jets were going with pass catcher in recent weeks so I stopped even thinking about OL.

Bowers at #10 or #11 seemed really non-Joe Douglas to me. I thought if he is the pick, then Rodgers really is running the team. Choosing Fashanu proved Douglas is still in charge.

Olu will play in 2024 by the way. No doubt about it.

19. twown

twown Well-Known Member

You put into words what I couldn't. Let's hope it's a matter of devotion rather than fear or overthinking.

abyzmul likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

new GMs always want their own QB anyway. So the guy will take over with (hopefully) a decent young left tackle and a no. 1 wideout.

That's plug & play for whichever QB he wants to grab after this whole thing burns down in flames with Rodgers

NCJetsfan likes this.