Welcome to the Jets Olumuyiwa Anthony Fashanu (OT)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 25, 2024.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I am delighted with this pick, and the neat little trade JD pulled off as well. I think this was the 'grown-up' selection, and reassured me that JD has a clue. He at least accepts that the line is a major weak spot and has been a disaster for years - so keep working until it isn't.

My favourite draft guide, Ourlads, had Fashanu as the second-best offensive tackle, just a couple of percentage points behind Alt (9.67 to 9.69). Philosophically I think this was the smart pick, and I like the player too. Suddenly one of our ageing starters going down to injury does not automatically wreck our season and we have the makings of a good offensive line going forward assuming our young guys can get/stay healthy.

A few things Ourlads had to say:

'Can start at left tackle right away'
    '21-year-old should be able to enhance his strength soon enough to be considered an ideal blind-side protector for today's NFL'
    'Climbs to the second level and gets out in space like a tight end'
    'Full force on the move and able to adjust weight and direction without notable loss of speed or power'

Looking forward to the rest of the draft now. I'd like a receiver, an IOL, a developmental QB, a running back and maybe a space-eating defensive tackle, in no particular order. Should all be possible!

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Awfully quiet from the Rodgers runs the show and he’s the GM camp so we’re taking a pass catcher :rolleyes:

hornblower likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yep. Same thing every coach tells every guy they draft.

NY Jets68, Jets69, Pepsiguy5 and 4 others like this.
  4. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the Jets nab Brenden RIce now, even if it takes packaging a few lower round picks to get into round 2 to do it.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Ok. Morning after. I still don’t understand. I don’t hate it but I just don’t understand. Douglas won’t even be here to see the guy start if he doesn’t address WR which is now the #1 need. I don’t think we’ll be able to come up far enough but give me Polk, Corley, Roman Wilson. If we can’t land those guys we’re staring down the barrel of the Odell Beckham experiment and praying it works.

I like the player. I like the longterm fit. I don’t understand it when you have a two year window and very little talent at WR/pass catcher.

REVISion, dawinner127 and ukjetsfan like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's a makeup pick.

To me, this draft is Joe admitting that he got his ass handed to him by Bill Belichick in the 2023 draft. And maybe it works. It's not even all that strong a pick. That's why people who like it keep calling it "safe" and "smart".

REVISion and BrowningNagle like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

Lance Zierlein said that he doesn't think Fashanu is ready just yet and will be a depth piece year 1 learning from Tyron Smith

9. BroadwayAaron

This was always going to be the case. Like I’ve been saying, great pick for two years from now when JD and Saleh won’t have jobs because we didn’t win and put a focus on developing tackles on the bench.

10. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I can't take anyone seriously who's name is Lance. Sorry, screams 80s skiing or surfing movie complete with a montage. Olu could start day 1 if need be but he won't have to, it was a smart pick and not for any reason Abyzmul suggests, Smith is on a 1 year deal and injury prone, Olu will play this year and probably a lot in one capacity or another. Top WRs were gone, Bowers wasn't happening (thank God) and we were able to pick up some additional draft capital in the minny trade. A+ draft imo, only thing I may have done differently was sticking and picking McCarthy but then this board would have really been hopping lol.

11. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

O LINE. PERIOD.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and JetFanInNE like this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Joe Douglas took the layup at 11 when there was an elite prospect staring him in the face. This was Fat Joe trying to save his job.

Trainer likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

Maybe that's fine then. I dont think Douglas & Saleh are the answer here, I think they should both probably be fired anyway. They suck.

The next guy gets an O-lineman to work with, I'm cool with that

14. impure

impure Well-Known Member

We have an old and injury prone OL. This pick was the smart move. It doesn't matter who you have at WR if you cannot give your QB enough time to make his reads. There WILL be injuries on the OL and Fashanu will be starting at some point.

I have a feeling we are going to trade up for a WR in round 2.

15. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Rodgers drafted Will McDonald last year too, duh!

dawinner127 likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

That’s all well and fine but I would much rather we at least go down fighting the next two years and I’m not sure how much a back up tackle is going to give us. And I’m sure whoever takes over for them is going to be thrilled that they have a left tackle to go along with no quarterback, a star wide receiver who will need to get paid, a star cornerback who will need to get paid and a hole at running back because no running back gets a second contract with the team that drafted them.

17. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Neither did Kiper on the telecast called him a developmental pick.

That's scary. It's not like the Jets have been known throughout their history as great developers of talent.

I hope he's not another Vlad the benchwarmer just to name one.

I hope this one works out for them.

*crosses fingers*

18. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

It was reported right after the pick that the Jets were trying to trade up for Odunze but couldn't make a deal happen. They reached out to both the Giants and the Bears.
    Fashanu was their fallback pick.

REVISion likes this.
  19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

“Work in progress” typically doesn’t work out well for the Jets unless I’m just forgetting a lot of players.

IDFjet likes this.
  20. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Even after the combine Fashanu was the all out concensus #2 OT behind Alt. He was at the end of the season, he was through the combine and pro days. Over this past month I noticed suddenly he’s being moved up and down from ahead of Alt in one mock (ludicrous), to late 1st round. These draft “experts” have 4-5 mocks each, they’re just fellating themselves to stay relevant and act like they know something. Fashanu is easily the 2nd best OT in this draft in my opinion. He’s a hard worker with a great attitude, great size, and great strength. He’s going to be our starting LT for the next 10 years. He’s ready to start right now if need be, and is immediately the best backup OT in the league and solidifies the Jets as having one of the best OL units in the league. Now hopefully our moron coaching staff doesn’t find a way to fuck this up.