Welcome to the Jets, Mike Williams!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 19, 2024.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I still want Sapp....

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's actually not hard at all. As long as you recognize that there is a difference in a positional value of a TE and OT. I do get your point that OT may not play a lot this season. I am pretty sure that someone will get hurt again and he will, but even if it is true, then a TE also does not make much sense, because we have Conk, who is a very good player. Ruckert is also a good back-up. So how much will a rookie TE really play, and even if he does how much of an upgrade would it be in 2024 over already good TE in Conk? Ruckert brings something different to the table, which is great blocking.

Bowers is not a good blocker, and in general TEs take some time to develop. So, there is not much upside there unless Bowers is instantly elite in his rookie year, in which case we waste Conk but get an upgrade over him. You are basically banking on Bowers being elite right away, which is not the bet I am willing to make. And even in this case, we waste a good player we have, who can have a breakout with Rodgers.

Following your logic though it makes sense to get a WR more than Bowers. With Mike not being ready for camp, and no one behind him and GW, a WR would play plenty of snaps, replacing what otherwise be pretty bad players that would get playing time. And I agree if say Nabers is there at 10, he could be a consideration. But Bowers? It just makes no sense on so many levels. He is not a perfect prospect, and not a can't miss generational one. If you follow your own logic, even then Bowers should not be the pick.

3. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

So yeah, this desired narrative reach is basically just an extension of the same sad Jets fan logic that ruled the roost last winter. And really to this day for that matter imo

I mean never mind the fact Mike Williams is an often injured 29 WR coming off a concerning for his age ACL tear. Never mind the fact he's projected to be questionable for training camp, and even under the most rosy of scenarios won't be a 100% guy to start next season. Never mind the fact that outside the "BIG NAME" appeal everybody likes to run with in the process of hyping us as Offseason Heros, it's not like there actually appeared to be much of a robust reality market on the guy in his post-release from teams out there that certainly look like they could use an impact WR.

Take that into account and here is what the actual backstory there more likely amounted to:

1. The clearly more attractive location Pittsburgh checked in, but not being the eternally desperate to be relevant team we are didn't end being as committed to the "BIG NAME!" chase on the guy given those question marks above he would have been coming in with.
    2. It made the most sense for MW to take the highest money offer on the current table with those same question marks at hand, and as such he ended up taking an equal'ish financial opportunity offer that was between us and what likely amounts to the worst team in football in Carolina.
    3. <Insert standard feel good "i'm excited to be here" post-signing window dressing claims here>

4. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

I mean in a way this is basically just the smaller scale version of the Rodgers acquisition last winter.

Where people who are SUPER thirsty for that name value just end up putting their blinders on and completely blocking out all the bad and/or concerning reality aspects that is coming with it.