Welcome to the Jets, Mike Williams!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 19, 2024.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He would start in 11 personnel. OBJ definitely got better as the year went on as well. 1yr/5m or 1 yr/vet min is absolutely worth the dart throw IMO

Stevied and NYJalltheway like this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I wouldn't hate it but I still think the offense deserves most of the attention in the draft.

We plugged a lot of holes on O for this year but the year after that, we're probably right back in the same spot we were coming into this offseason.

For that reason, I'd love to trade back and then go OT/WR or WR/OT with our first 2 picks. Doing this allows those guys to come along at their own pace in Year 1 and then have a direct line to a starting spot in 2025.

3. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I think if we get the chance we will trade back. But I completely agree with this!

kevda5n9ne, NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  4. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Remember that Mitchell had a good first year (better than most of the 1st round draft picks according to PFF, for whatever that's worth, until his injury). I agree that he was bad last year, but I don't think they're ready to give up on him yet (and most of the Oline was a dumpster fire last year). They've also started experimenting late in the season with him at guard, so they might move him to guard and open up a tackle spot. Nevertheless, most of the expected 1st round tackles that will be around when jets draft are, from what I read, right tackles and not really suited for LT and Smith is the greater injury concern. If they draft 2 OTs, then they're either carrying more than 10 oline or they're cutting both Carter and Mitchell (or cutting Carter and at least shifting Mitchell to guard). I don't see JD and Saleh cutting Carter and I don't think they'll cut Mitchell. Also, remember that the Jets will like be shifting from zone blocking to more power blocking and their current players might perform differently in a power blocking scheme.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Mike Williams is nice.... but all this breakfast sandwich talk and I haven't had anything to eat this morning yet....

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

ya. I wish we had three 1st round picks again.....

Lon Chaney likes this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

No, he didn't have a good first year according to PFF. He was significantly worse than every top pick except Evan Neal. And Neal sucks too, that does not make Max look any better. They were both some of the worst OTs in NFL. The Giants may be the only team that has had OL as bad as ours. Neal may get a benefit of the doubt because of 1st round pedigree, good frame and athleticism, but Max is none of these things. He then got worse the second year.

With moving more towards gap blocking system, where he does not have the core strength and long arms, he will be even worse than before. I mean he can compete in training camp, sure, but by merit I think he should end up on our PS. I doubt there will be a huge line to pick him up when he is released.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks there are a couple of good power back prospects. I didn't include one because I thought that JD would sign a vet, but it's now looking like he will continue his streak of drafting a RB. I hope that it will be a power back.

9. NCJetsfan

My recollection is that Mitchell played decently at first when forced into action his rookie season, but then his play deteriorated, then he got injured, so I'm not certain that he did look good his rookie season. One of the weaknesses of Mitchell when he came into the NFL was that he needed to get stronger. He has the agility and lateral movement, but still isn't strong enough or his technique good enough. I think he will be even worse on gap plays, since that depends upon players winning in a phone booth, and OGs on gap plays particularly have to be strong. I think he will look even worse this season (if that's possible). Warren could do better in a gap scheme, and that's a good point. I agree that the Jets won't cut Carter this soon, nor should they, but I hope they'll jettison Mitchell. This is such a good, deep draft for OTs, that I'm certain they could upgrade their talent at OT by replacing him.

Going back to the prospect of the Jets drafting a DT, I think they could look to take a run-stuffing DT in the 4th or 6th round or maybe 7th round, but I think they signed Kinlaw with the idea of keeping him if he plays well this season, and with their needing better OL depth and WR depth, it would be criminal malfeasance to draft a DT in the 1st or 3rd rounds (if they don't trade down). One can find run-stuffing DTs later in the draft. They may draft a S or even CB in the 4th round or later, but neither position should be addressed in the 1st 3 rounds. I expected that JD would sign a veteran RB, and he still could, even after the draft from among camp cuts, but he's just as likely to keep his streak alive of drafting a RB in every draft. I just hope that he adds a power back, to give our rushing attack another dimension.

Borat likes this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Actually this is the best Post of all them..think about guys. Woody and Giants should jump at this penny smart vs pound foolish idea to keep art turf ..yikes

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

With two older, and recently injured, Tackles in the starting lineup, this situation is far different that the DL was last year or this. It's almost a certainty that a stud T taken with our first pick will get a decent amount of snaps, plus we have no younger Tackles that are potential starters, whereas we did/do have young pass rushers. Apples and oranges.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

If you're worried about salt intake while eating a TEC, I think you might need to reconsider your breakfast choice. A nice cup of yogurt and fruit perhaps? :D

13. NCJetsfan

Spot on. The two situations are not even in the same universe.

14. ColoradoContrails

This is a great signing. Not only does it give us a great, complimentary WR along with GW, it opens up the draft completely. Now that Douglas doesn't have to take any particular position at #10, (unless Alt or Fashanu somehow fall to him, in which case he ought to run to the podium), he can entertain offers to trade back from a position of strength, hopefully being able to recoup a 2nd rounder in any trade back, and still get a stud T if he doesn't have to trade too far back.

All this said, aside from the tactical advantages I mentioned above, I don't really care about "winning the off season", nor will I let JD off the hook until this team is a sustainable winner starting this year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m with you. JD has put himself in a position to trade down to a QB needy team and move down 2-4 spots easy. There he will select BPA in areas of need, like an OL, or WR, and contrary to many, if the TE is still there he might well jump on him. The kid is a stud receiver, and blocker, that turns into a RB after the catch, and is good to go now. Speaking of OL, I heard the kid from Alabama, while an absolute monster of a guy, has a tendency to hold way to much and injury prone, so hope we don’t go that rout if true.

NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.
  16. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Oh I’m with ya, just curious as to if he would be..

I keep circling back debating between a lineman and bowers. I know we need a lineman for the future, however I still feel like we need another weapon. I know Rodgers supposedly elevates everyone-but if gw mw or bh goes down, we’re right back tk where we were last year…

speaking of BH, since we’re planning on having these leads now and killing the clock, does backup RB now get elevated on the priority list?

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well at this point you can say that about every single team since no one has played a lick of football, starting with the Steelers. Time will tell. But if JD had not made these moves most fans would be bitching bloody murder. In fact, some started bitching day one that JD was not acting fast enough and sleeping at the switch. Same BS, different day for this fan base.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

not me i said I was cool with him not blowing through money since he’s likely fired after the season anyway

19. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Drafting is about the future. They gotta go offensive BPA there, whether it is tackle, WR or TE. Drafting an OT locks down one of the most important positions for years. Smith and Moses are 1 year rentals and in all likelihood one will miss time due to injury. We don't know that Bowers would come in and light things up immediately, he could struggle for a while and play behind Conk & Ruckert while learning the offense. First round TEs often bust.

20. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Yep, it was from Morristown.

thedonger likes this.