Welcome to the Jets, Jachai Polite

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by macbk, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I want to be positive, however, the first thing that came to mind when I heard this selection was Lorenzo Mauldin, another supposed "beast" with off field issues drafted by the Jets in the 3rd round in '15. After QB, pass rusher is the next hardest position to predict success at in the NFL. That a guy at such an important position dropped that far says a lot about what the other 31 teams think of him and It's not like the Jets have a history of finding talent in the later rounds (especially the 3rd.) I don't blame the Jets for taking a flyer on the guy, but I'll curb my enthusiasm until I see performance on the field.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

We needed to go OLB for a pass rusher, and that we did.

I'm an FSU fan and love this pick. I just love SEC defensive talent; there's nothing like it.

This kid and Josh Allen were the only two pass rushers within the entire country who recorded 10+ sacks along with 5+ forced fumbles. Florida Gators have produced some great pass rushers historically I'm very excited about this one.

Taking Polite makes our Q. Williams pick 10x better @ 3rd overall. Q. Williams was a top 5 dead bolt lock. We just potentially drafted a Sapp/Donald type of dominant NT/DT. C.J Mosley is going to feast now. Some consider him the #1 player of this year's draft class. We now have Leonard Williams and Quinnen Williams on the D-Line with C.J Mosley Linebacking behind them and that is sick it's disgusting.

And now we have an SEC kid like Polite as a pure pass rushing 3-4 OLB who can pin his ears behind his head and rush the Quarterback all while Leo/Q make his job easier for him within the trenches while Jamal Adams lines up all over the front 7 as a LB more times than not? He's going to have so many one on one pass rushing opportunities to flourish I can't wait.

#102 DefenseWinsChampionships, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I actually like this pick. It's not like he fell because there was a tape of him beating his girlfriend or doing a pound of blow. He ate himself out of the first round.

Acad23 and Quinnenthebeast like this.
  4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

These guys are football players not rocket scientist. Give me the kids that plays like a terror on the field and bombs the interviews rather than vice versa.

MoWilkBeast, stinkyB, FJF and 3 others like this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

He'll have to start first to be a 3 downer. Who does he bump to the bench out of Leonard, McClendon and Anderson (17 million)? Remember 3-4 defense. That means 3 lineman and 4 linebackers. Understand now?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Can't be upset about this. The guy had 1st round grades, just had a poor combine and interview process. He's got talent. Hopefully he can mature.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He doesn't play the same position as any of the players you just mentioned.

edit: disregard, thought you were talking about Polite

#107 abyzmul, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  8. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. boozer32

3-4 there is ONE NT/DT and 2 ends so which position did we just draft him to play?

Reference

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3–4_defense

10. boozer32

Well knowing the Jets history we will just see. But the original post was we did not need him. There were other positions to address and the homers like you just think every pick is the best. That's fine just make sure you come back and acknowledge it later. I will.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think the biggest concern would be th
    mcclendon will sit.

starting d line right now
    Williams Williams and Anderson.

BudJet and boozer32 like this.
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'm probably older than he is, I just may not be as much of a curmudgeon. I've watched the Jets since they were the Titans and I don't let my personal biases interfere with my analysis here or anywhere else. We get it, he doesn't like MacCagnan, so he should probably just type that out each time he is so motivated rather than creating his own fantasy based scenarios here.

jonnyd likes this.
  13. Ralebird

When you start calling me a homer it appears you have lost not just your credibility, but also your mind. I'm never far away and I never block anyone. Bring it.

14. Ralebird

Why are you so locked into jamming everything into a 3-4 when it has been repeatedly stated that the Jets will use all kinds of sets?

15. boozer32

The mind is fine you are defending like no other. That's fine just own up to it. I'm going off the current way the Jets have their defense and not seeing how this guy fits in with the other very similar player. You already have him in Canton and with Jets picks we'll just let this play out. History says much different. New regime and new thinking on both offense and defense so let's get to training camp.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He will bump McClendon out easily, but they also won’t be playing with 3 linemen most of the time

boozer32 likes this.
  17. boozer32

I think we ill lose something removing McClendon. Neither Williams are NT but more 4-3 defensive tackles. We'll see how Greg Williams cooks things up.

18. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

But he said the Packers "bashed him" and that rubbed scouts the wrong way. Oh nooo!

19. boozer32

Lots of people don't like Maccagnan and reading the New York newspapers he is a world of hurt. That is another issue with the Jets if they do get rid of him after their draft. They should not have let him run this draft. Oh and I liked Maccagnan initially but his record is dismal but the homers like you love him. Well maybe you and his wife. Oh and the bums he's drafted like him.

20. Ralebird

I have him in Canton? Based on what? Quote anything I've posted here that gives you that idea. We're talking about Polite here, right? Who is the "other very similar player" the Jets have from the edge?

You say you're basing your comments on the way the Jets have their defense but the only thing that can refer to is the way the Jets had their defense. As you said there's a whole new plan coming but that doesn't stop you from bashing for the sake of bashing. Let it play out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.