Welcome to the Jets, Jace "The Hound" Amaro

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, May 9, 2014.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I know, it's one of those little things that doesn't mean a whole lot in the scheme of things but it's always nice to know you probably pissed off your rival like that.

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Oh absolutely. Although, I don't think Miami is in as bad of a situation at TE as people make it out to be. Clay was big for them last year. He had 750 yards and 6 TDs last season.

Granted, they would have most likely taken Amaro either way, but they definitely didn't have a "need" at TE.

3. MaximusD163

Clay isn't a bad player but he is a tweener. He's not big enough to be a traditional TE but not explosive enough to be a receiving TE. He's closer to an H-Back than a legit starting TE. He only had 11 yards per reception and his longest reception was 13 yards. His versatility is nice but he's got nothing on Amaro.

4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Agreed, which is why I thought they would take him anyways. Their problems at TE aren't as bad as some make it to be though. Clay is a tweener and is clearly not a pass catching every down TE, but he is definitely not pulling them down at the position.

5. MaximusD163

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but technically he is holding you back when he is your starter. It's like having a good 6th O-Lineman but a weak starting O-Line. It's still a pretty big problem in my opinion.

irishwhip03 likes this.
  6. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Or you can say his leg was a pussy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No way do you compare him to Gonzalez or Gronk. Jace's ability block is very questionable - but he's certainly got the receiving skills. He's Aaron Hernandez without the headache. I hope Jace becomes an excellent 2 way TE.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What is a 2 way TE?

9. MaximusD163

Solid receiver and blocker.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

One that is proficient at blocking and receiving. I worry we don't have a TE that can block, but I think Jace has some nastiness ready to be unleashed. Maybe one day he will become good at blocking.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Never heard that term. It used to be that was the definition of TE. Funny how things change.

12. MaximusD163

The more common phrase is dual threat TE really, but it's the same thing. TE's in the past were receiving threats but not like you see now, they didn't make 20 yard receptions or look anything like WR's. They usually caught a 5-10 yard pass, and maybe ran over a guy or two. Most TE's were ok at that, but the better ones like Mickey Shuler had a little bit more dynamic ability. Tony Gonzalez was really the first of the new age TE's who look like WR's when they run routes. As the league realized the advantage of having athletic big guys in the middle who could run those routes, they began searching them out more and more. The best TE's can do both, like Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates in their prime. So yeah, back in the day TE's did some receiving but they weren't dynamic downfield threats. Gronk is not quite as athletically dynamic as Gonzalez or Gates were, but he has amazing body control for his size. He is the best current dual threat TE. The other receiving TE's can't really hold a candle to Gronk in terms of blocking, and are primarily used as receivers.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The TE as WR is a real trend at this point. The Jets now have one of those. If they use him that way they have a real chance to have a special player out of the arrangement. If they try to make him into a TE who splits out or goes in the slot now and then they're probably going to fail in terms of getting great production out of him.

I'm not saying Amaro should never line up inline, just that I don't expect the Jets have an above replacement level player using him that way.

14. MaximusD163

What does "above replacement level player" mean?

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i will be honest, i could careless if amaro ever becomes even a mediocre blocker, we were 6th in rushing last year with a rookie qb and absolutely no one in the passing game that garnered anything other than single coverage. him keeping a safety back to protect the deep middle will serve just as well.

irishwhip03 likes this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It means a player who is clearly better than an average NFL player would be in his spot on the field. The Jets have no reason to believe at this point that Jace Amaro is going to be better than an average NFL TE lined up inline and there's at least some evidence that he won't be that good in that role.

That's 5th, 6th, 7th round value territory if they're using him inline a lot, not 2nd round value.

17. MaximusD163

Well, personally I disagree but only time will tell.

18. jtrain

jtrain Active Member

Live video of jace amaro being drafted

19. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

check this out:https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...e-stats-pass-blocking-efficiency-rbs-and-tes/

some of the best receiving TE's are hardly ever asked to block, Winslow was in the top 10 in terms of starting TE's that had to pass block the least which shows how much that could potentially matter to Amaro in this offense, who I more or less expect to take Winslow's place in that regard.

As for run blocking I've found that Cumberland is our standard blocking TE for better or worse, he's the man the jets go to if they need a man covered on one side or another, ESPECIALLY on running downs, and sometimes he's even used as a tackle.... and he's adequate at it I guess. He usually just tussles with his man just long enough for his role as a blocker to be fulfilled. from what I can tell he usually isn't the cause of plays collapsing as he's usually not all THAT consequential to them in the first place.

seeing as how he's been given an extension I'm guessing the jets think enough of him that they believe he continue to fulfill this role just fine. lets hope so, and that he doesn't get hurt or that the other TE's can handle it too, because Amaro's strong suit is NOT being a traditional TE.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  20. freemantoon

freemantoon Active Member

just curious , is anyone worried about the 2 concussions he had this season? could be a reason why he dropped in the draft a little.