Welcome to the Jets Christian Hackenberg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The 1985er, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Check last years 2nd round to see if this is true

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Ummm...yeah.

That's how it works.

Geno007 likes this.
  3. Vanbiesbrouck

Vanbiesbrouck Active Member

That was actually the point I was making. The poster said "It was his footwork along with bad coaching , O-line, etc. that messed him up with accuracy and timing. He's been working on this and it showed in his pro day. Plus at the pro level he'll have this all corrected quickly. "

Sanchez & Geno both had similar problems. Being in the NFL didn't see those problems "all corrected quickly". That was the point of my post.

If you want to say that our coaching staff is great now, and was crap then, I can see your point, but it underscores my point that being in the NFL isn't a guarantee that all of your problems will be solved. CHack is a project. Him being in a better environment here than he was in there might improve things, but it still might not be enough to overcome his significant shortcomings as a QB.

Brick is gone. Mangold might retire after 2016. If CHack sits a year & starts in 2017, with no Brick & no Mangold, possibly with no Breno either...how do we know his O-line will be sufficient to avoid the same problems he experienced in college? Being in the NFL doesn't mean his O-line will be tip-top; sure didn't for David Carr.

The original poster seems to make light of:

- poor accuracy
    - bad footwork
    - poor timing
    - bad O-line
    - bad coaching

Let's assume Chan stays 2 more years, and that our QB coaching is above average. Let's also assume our O-line is average or above. Two assumptions in, CHack would still need to fix issues with accuracy, footwork and timing. I'm not saying that he can't do it. I'm saying it's a lot to ask, and just assuming that he'll have those problems magically fixed by the benevolent wand of NFL coaching is making a number of assumptions I'm just not comfortable making. Feel free to believe it- your mileage may vary.

#803 Vanbiesbrouck, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

What are the reasons he struggled in his sophomore and junior years?

5. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I just looked and there's several guys just from that round that are good players to have on a team including one of the best corners in that draft and btw Lockett and David Johnson went in the 3rd and already flashed they are gonna be game changers so yes it's true

6. Catfish Billy

David Johnson is good, but my point is the other dudes like kendricks and yeldon weren't even enough to get them to the playoffs. Only a QB can make that much of a difference. I don't think our team has THAT many holes where a dude somewhere else would make a vast difference, at that spot (not a top 15 picks)

7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

You realize it's a TEAM sport?? draft 5 busts and you got nothing. Draft 5 solid guys and you have a great core

8. Catfish Billy

I think we already have a solid core

9. 74

74 Well-Known Member

We didn't even make the playoffs with a cupcake schedule. How many winning teams did we beat? You think we can piss away our draft picks on lottery tickets, fine be happy with our craptastic draft strategy. At least we got a punter.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Correlation is not causation.

11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

'zactly

12. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

13. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Mac felt like he was drafting freshman Hack. I am OK with that.

Plus the idea that this damns petty is ridiculous. A 4th round QB should be expected to one day be a good backup/borderline starter. All expectations beyond that are of the lottery ticket variety.

14. Zuckpsu

Zuckpsu Member

No pro-style QB in America would have been successful behind the PSU OL and with John Donovan as an OC. Donovan was a below-average OC at Vanderbilt, and was god awful at PSU. Dialed up slow developing plays with a line that couldn't hold blocks.

The last 2 years, Hack was stuck behind two of the worst O-lines in PSU history and in college football due to sanctions and shitty OL recruiting by O'Brien. Year 2 OL: True freshman Nelson who was not ready, 3-star DT in Gaia who converted to OL, an overrated center in Mangiro, Dowrey - another 2/3 star DT converted to OL, and Donovan Smith at LT, who had his worst year yet. Line couldn't run or pass block.

Year 3 OL: 1st year JUCO player at LT who couldn't bench 250 upon arrival at PSU, Gaia who got beat repeatedly in every game, Mangiro, who was outplayed by his backup, where said backup is now overshadowed by a RS FR, a true Soph in Mahon, who will likely not start this yr, and Nelson - the best of the bunch who was hurt all year long. They couldn't stop a 3 man rush against Temple and struggled blocking against Army.

However, Hack lacks touch on short throws and screen passes. He also holds onto the ball too long. Could have avoided a bunch of sacks if he threw the ball away, or ran more often.

15. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

That's actually my main concern with him. Seems like he doesn't have the delicate throwing motion on short throws.

16. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Good man Stokes... I thought that when you had some time to reflect you would see its not a bad gamble by Mac. Hackenberg has potential to be very very good. And his being on the team will only push Petty to be a better QB.

Much better to have 2 young prospects with potential than where the Jets were for the last decade:
    An inexperienced Sanchez then Shit out of luck behind him.
    An inexperienced Geno then nothing.

At least now if they go to Petty and he doesn't perform they have Hack in the pipeline (and vice versa.)

Walt White likes this.
  17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

This is another good non-freshman year game. Lots of workable stuff in here. I've noticed he has some savvy in him; he likes to use hard counts to draw the defense offsides/get them to tip their hand, and he'll also snap the ball quickly if the defense has 12 men or a receiver is uncovered.

Walt White likes this.
  18. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I heard Mike Mac say in an interview when discussing QBs. He said he once asked Ron Wolf what his approach was to finding a franchise quarterback. Wolf told him to draft one every year until you find him. It looks like Mac is doing exactly that. I applaud this pick.

19. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

I sure like CHack a lot more than any of the QB's we have on the roster right now. He has the arm strength to throw it deep, unlike......

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Can't argue the upside just have to hope the bad habits he developed at Penn State go away. My confidence in the Jets developing a QB are slim to none so I hope I am wrong

SonofDinger likes this.