Welcome to the Jets Christian Hackenberg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The 1985er, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, Geno Smith is also three syllables.

donkey likes this.
  2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

How do you go from looking at strictly last names to throwing in Geno's first name?

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  3. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

4. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

fucknagle....also 3 syllables

5. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Can't
    He reports anyone he doesn't like for even quoting his posts. I'm not getting a vacation over his BS

6. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

So is Broken Jaw.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  7. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

The post before me used Joe Namath as three syllables, so the bad with the good and all that.

8. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Ok I didn't see that. My fault. Hackenbergs full name would be 5. Wonder what other QBs have 5.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  9. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

C-C-Combo-breaker!!!!

Poeman and Catfish Billy like this.
  10. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

what a square!

11. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

This CS did not draft Geno, they drafted Petty and Hackenberg. If we sign Fitz or Hoyer, Geno is gone! I will be finally celebrating! Still wish we would had drafted Glennon in the 3rd round that year instead of Smith in the second.

Bill Belichdouche likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Again, I never said that they shouldn't be questioned, and I have no problems with your or anyone questioning the pick. It was the over the top manner in which you and several other posters totally trashed this pick and the Lee pick. There was no mention that you could possibly be wrong, or there might be something about Hack and/or Lee that you guys don't know, rather it was that you knew better than Mac and the Jets scouts. One poster went so far as to say that Mac should be fired immediately. I haven't talked myself into liking the pick, and don't expect anyone else to, either. I'm trying to learn all I can why Mac thinks so highly of him, am trying to stay positive, and am adopting a wait and see attitude.

No, he doesn't have the track record of Newsome, Ron Wolf or other very good GMs. IMO when the Jets get a new GM or HC, we basically have three ways in which we can view that new GM or HC: we can be extremely pessimistic and skeptical, and view every move with suspicion until he proves himself right/worthy of trust; we can take a positive approach, decide to trust him until he proves that he isn't worthy of trust; or we can take more of a middle ground approach, and try to be fair and balanced.

After many years of taking the negative approach, I made a decision three years ago to take the positive approach. I had to do that because I was miserable being a Jets fan, and was ready to walk away from them permanently. I've been a lot happier since I made that decision. I understand that everyone doesn't come to the team or to things in that way. I understand that with others, and based on what you said, you, that trust has to be earned. I can understand that, it's just not where I am.

I didn't think Idzik was the right hire because he wasn't a scouting and personnel guy, but rather an administrator. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but imo he quickly showed that he wasn't competent. With Mac having an extensive scouting and personnel background, and being recommended by Charlie Casserly and Ron Wolf, I believed that he was the best possible available candidate and was ecstatic that he was hired. Thus, he already had a lot of my respect and trust, and it would take a lot for me to lose that. Nothing he has done so far has raised any serious doubts or questions in my mind. As I said in one of my first posts in this thread last night, I can totally understand why guys would be upset and view this as a mistake. What got to me was the level of continued bashing, and over the top comments.

Kudos to you for saying that you hope you're wrong! I haven't seen many others who bashed the pick say that. Perhaps in time they will.

We may have to pick a QB in the 1st round next year. I hope not, and I don't think we will, but we might. After all, how many QBs taken outside of the first round truly pan out and succeed? For that matter, how many QBs in general pan out? Obviously, not that many since there is such a scarcity of true franchise QBs in the NFL and so many JAG QBs are able to hold on for years and years in the NFL. With the prototypical size, intelligence, experience in a pro-style offense, mental ability who understands how to read Ds and change plays at the LOS successfully, I think he has a lot of talent and potential. It's hard to ignore his last two years, but I think that by and large, that's what we have to do. I'm sure that he learned and grew from going through those two years, but I think we need to look more at his freshman season and how he played to get an accurate picture of the type of QB he can possibly be.

HomeoftheJets and BigSnacks54 like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Kudos to you. This is how I expected you to react all along.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  14. gordy

gordy Member

You people are the typical year in year out Jet morons. It's a first round prospect that dropped to us. It was his footwork along with bad coaching , O-line, etc. that messed him up with accuracy and timing. He's been working on this and it showed in his pro day. Plus at the pro level he'll have this all corrected quickly. He played in the Pats offense his freshman year and excelled. His football IQ is off the charts and a monster arm and size. This guy is going to be our future Tom Brady- just a faster version... Gruden said he'd be shocked if Hack wasn't drafted in the first round and that was just weeks ago. To have a franchise QB you usually need picks 1 or 2 unless something occurs where he drops and that's what has happened. And he's just 21 years old. Many of you bitching when we finally land him. Idiots you people are..

#754 gordy, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    matt robinson 17 likes this.
  15. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

His negatives read almost identical to what the final report would say on Ken O'Brien's pro career especially holding the ball too long.

16. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

If they like him, they think they can fix him, why was he not their BPA at 20 rather than 51? Surely if you've got "your guy" at QB that's more valuable than an undersized LB that doesn't even have a claim to fame rushing the passer. Maybe he was their BPA at 20 and Mac thought he could get away with it going around again and did. I struggle to think that some late round 1- mid round 2 OL or LB could be more valuable in the mind of a GM than a QB you like in the first couple rounds, not some late round flyer project QB. That's the thing that's a little troubling for me from the Jets side about the pick although I see a lot to like. The thing that troubles me from Hackenberg's side is that he chose to go to Penn State in the first place and brought all this shit on himself. Sure maybe you're from there and maybe you love Bill Obrien but that makes me question his judgment somewhat.

Can the footwork be fixed? Can those occasionally errant short/midrange throws be whittled away?

17. pcmodem

pcmodem Member

So, I was really confused about this pick - until I started reading and listening to breakdowns, *everyone* says this guy is super football smart - to me, this feels like 'here's a new, smarter, bigger, faster fitzpatrick to for Gailey to mold - Fitzpatrick 2.0' and for cheaper, and longer! My dream world is, sign fitz for cheap, cut geno let hack sit behind fitz and when fitz breaks his (insert_thing_here) hack can take over with Petty backing him up.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Wait? Just because where fans means we don't know more then the GM and CS?

19. NCJetsfan

They both are!

20. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Todd Bowles on Jet Nation said he was our BPA