Welcome to the Jets Christian Hackenberg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The 1985er, Apr 29, 2016.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You are right on. This is exactly IMHO what the Jets College scouts and Mac's staff saw. An extremely talented but raw kid that was absolutely mismanaged, unprotected, and forced to survive playing sandlot football. In the process his mechanics went south and developed some pretty bad habits. But, and that is a big but, he is very smart and has the head for football like Fitz, with the arm to zip it in tight places, unlike Fitz, and the ability to read defenses at the NFL level. If they can correct the mechanics and timing, he could be the anointed one. It is a risk well worth it.
    Our future depends on finding the QB gem, and sure as shit will not happen unless we take calculated chances at each and every draft.

NCJetsfan, Catfish Billy, DrM and 2 others like this.
  2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

That was the tequila talking. :oops:

I'm going to be pulling for this kid to become a superstar. Both he and Petty.

_

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Jstokes....I'm proud of you. Well said. I'm 100% behind this kid. He is a Jet and God willing our long awaited hope. May he and Bryce grow to become a force, and our memory of failed QB experiments a long distant memory.

4. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Check this out guys...

Brady is out, Garoppolo is unknown. Hackenberg was learning Pats system and would be good fit and position of need.
    So the Pats were targeting him very high, but had to wait until 2nd to get him.

So....
    Pats couldn't draft Brady's continuity because they lost 1st rounder thanks to Brady's cheating.

Poetic justice :)

5. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

One of these guys have to be better than Geno and Sanchez, right?

6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I got a feeling one of them is. Maybe ever WAAAAY better

7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

In 2 years we might have a franchise QB AND a nice chip to trade.

_

8. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

I can't remember a 2nd round QB pick with so many negatives attached to him.

...and we suck historically with QB in round 2: Browning Nagle, Geno Smith, and now this Hack! :(
    (help me out if I'm forgetting anyone)
    ...also we seem to usually do better in round 3 than in round 2 in general.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm loving it RuJFan. I think the Mac haters will be eating major crow and gracefully accept it.
    On other hopeful developments, may Amaro and Smith have a stellar season, so we can forever throw in the trash the notion that we can not ever draft well in the second round. In this regime I place my faith.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  10. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Well I doubt they would have taken him in the first round...it's possible I suppose but I doubt it with all the first-round talents that went early in the second round. They might well have taken him in the second though.

11. Truth4U2

We just have to hope this Hack never has to see the field. (well he might develop into a solid backup I guess)

I'm now a much bigger Bryce Petty fan, because by comparison he looks like an Andrew Luck type prospect!

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm just going to take a wild guess here, but judging by your 18 posts that all say the same thing with different wording, you didn't like the pick?

Give it a rest. I think you just reached a new low with "we just have to hope this Hack never has to see the field".

13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Cimini:

"Jets draft QB Christian Hackenberg -- a panic move that changes everything"

I wouldn't call it a panic move and it doesn't change all that much aside from maybe Geno leaving town. I really don't think they are drafting him to start. He'll likely compete for the backup spot until either he or Petty is ready. Cimini sucks.

My personal philosophy is that teams should draft QBs every year until they strike gold and find a good one. It's bound to happen eventually.

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  14. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

Decided id see how you guys liked this pick. Im sure ill be stupid Bills fan, but i admit im kinda jealous of this pick. I had my fingers crossed for Hack. I think he needs to sit for a bit, but dude has a brain and a rocket arm. Sure he regressed when he went away from the pro style but he had no time to throw. Hard to have a good comp % when u have 0 time to throw often. Is he perfect? No. But the strong points are things you cant teach and the weaker points can be coached. This is a double stinger, didnt go to bills and now he will potentially be beating up on us for years. Who knows if itll actually happen, but if he pans out, itll be at the rest of the afc easts expense. Here is a GREAT video that hopefully gets you guys excited. Great watch if you take the time for the whole thing!!

NCJetsfan and F Miami like this.
  15. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Was I upset with the pick? Yes. You see what the issues are from the outside and don't really know whats going on until you really pay attention and you're right. A lot of the kids issues were out of his control. That said, obviously he's got a lot to work on but I am fully supportive. Chan Gailey is one of the only people I would trust in this situation and holy hell we have him. In my opinion the BEST chance for this kid to succeed, and it kills me to say this because I dislike him but it's to have Fitz at QB for 1 maybe 2 more years.

16. Truth4U2

You're right, my bad.

...and despite all the negatives I'm reading about him, he does have great size, a great arm, and played well his freshman year under Bill O'Brien, the Texans' coach. Apparently he was screwed, at least in part, by poor offensive coaches the last 2 seasons after O'Brien left. ...and as for his clunky name, well, it's just a name after all, and I felt the same way about Ben Roethlisberger when he was drafted and I couldn't pronounce his long unwieldy last name lol.
    ...so yes, I'll shut up now. Good call. :D

17. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I want Hackenberg to work out, but I can't talk myself into the pick at all. I'm not going to completely change my opinion on player just because the team I root for picked him. And I know exactly why he made the pick- everyone here knows why the pick was made. My problem is when posters act as if fans cannot criticize GMS because they don't possess the same knowledge of the game as them. We've seen the NFL pass on good QBS and not even give solid Quarterbacs a chance to succeed, due to height , hand size, and other physical tools, completely ignoring their tape and mental aspect of the game. We've seen the NFL take a bust after bust and terrible Quarterbacks such as Tebow in round one, so yes they do deserved to be questioned, especially when they pick a QB who hasn't played competent football in nearly three years.

It's fine to trust Mac, and while he's had a solid first year and a half, he just doesn't have the track record of a Newsome or Belichick(guys who have made massive mistakes as well), where I can fully trust him. Truts needs to earned over a long period of time- no one full year. I believe he made a massive mistake and I hope I'm wrong, but honestly won't be suprised if we pick a QB in round 1 next season.

Truth4U2 likes this.
  18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I place a lot of emphasis on the way he responded positively to the coaching he received from O'Brien and negatively from the poor coaching of the latter regime.

If he Jets can coach him properly, he should respond in a positive way.

Now that said, I've been on the record about the Jets burning picks on projects (Ducasse, et al.) and I'm really not happy about getting little to no production out of the 2nd round pick for 1-2 years.

19. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Yup and that's why I said I was wrong about Pryor right? Or about Fitzpatrick this season? OR about Hackenberg being the next great QB after his freshman year? I was actually high on Hackenberg in his freshman year, but he continued to regress and regress and became a terirble Quarterback. Or about the Jets being terrible this season?

20. Truth4U2

Very well said. My thoughts exactly. ...as you pointed out, even the best GMs make mistakes once in awhile, nobody's perfect.