Welcome to New York, Devin Smith!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, May 1, 2015.

1. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Smith played in 54 games over his Ohio State career and started 30 times. He caught 121 passes for 2,503 for a 20.7 yards-per-catch average with 30 touchdowns. He ranks 11th at Ohio State in receptions, fifth in receiving yards and second - to Cris Carter's 34 - in touchdown receptions. [This strikes me as serious proven production]

Smith led the nation as a senior by averaging a school-record 28.2 yards per catch with 33 receptions for 931 yards. He caught 12 touchdown passes - fourth-most for a single season at Ohio State - including a Big Ten-record tying three touchdown receptions in the Big Ten championship game vs. Wisconsin and a 41-yard scoring reception in the third quarter of the College Football Playoff semifinal game at the Allstate Sugar Bowl vs. No. 1 Alabama that gave the Buckeyes the lead for good.

Smith has two ridiculously interesting stats to his credit: he averaged 37.9 yards per touchdown reception :D:eek::eek::cool:- a figure that includes a school-record 90-yard reception fromKenny Guitonvs. Cal in 2013 and features seven scores of 50-or-more yards [again NFL coaches will know this and have to account for it, noting wrong with the ability of any QB on our roster to throw a deep ball, getting time and being accurate not such a given]- and, in the 22 games in which he caught a touchdown pass, the Buckeyes were 22-0.

Smith, who never missed a game as a Buckeye, competed for Ohio State's track and field team for three springs. He was a sprinter on relays and finished as high as second at the Big Ten championships in the high jump with a leap of 7-0.25 inches in 2013 for one of the Top 5 jumps - outdoors - in Ohio State history.

He was a gunner on special teams (not the return man) and should be excellent here too as he contributes as a rookie.

Turbocharged23 and BacktoQueens like this.
  2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That would be Marshall or Decker. What we needed is exactly what we got, somebody to stretch the field and probably take two coverage guys with him along the way.

3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I think between 20 yard line to end zone he can find separation for a nice long TD

4. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Smith has been a part of the draft academy show. The finale will be tomorrow evening at 7 on ESPN for those who want to watch.

5. Geno Da Meano_

Geno Da Meano_ Active Member

Wonder if w use him like Seattle uses Kearse.

6. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

A few time a season, we see a graphic that shows how piss poor the offense is at pass plays greater than 20 yards. Smith could change that, and he can do so by doing exactly what he did in college. Really, an excellent fit, and he's the pick that I'm most amped about.

Catfish Billy likes this.
  7. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Multiple times you will see him adjust to the ball to make the catch even under pressure with a DB in his face :D the more I see the more I like

NYJetsO12 and Catfish Billy like this.
  8. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

The more I've seen, the more impressed I am. I was not excited on draft day, having preferred strong or DGB. I think my mind has been changed. Looking forward it seeing what this kid can do.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

That ball tracking ability is impressive. Easily my favorite skill of his. I'm not drawing the comparison as players, but the way he finds the ball reminds me of Victor Cruz or Julio Jones. I really don't know that we've ever had a vertical threat like this. I'm more impressed with him today than I was Santana Moss after we drafted him.

Turbocharged23 likes this.
  10. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Little bit of Steve Smith as well....

11. Don

Now if only our QB can actually throw it within 10 yards of him so he can track it down.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

13. BroadwayAaron

Just rewatched that highlight reel, and yes, it's a highlight reel so we are seeing only the good but god damn... the good is GOOD. It's weird, he seems like such a polished receiver when it comes to technique, but OSU used him as strictly a deep threat. You can see in the beginning and then scattered throughout the video, he can do more than just run up a sideline and get open using his speed.

Imagine a set in which you have Smith in the slot with Marshall and Decker out wide, Amaro at TE and Ivory in the backfield. What area of the field does the defense double cover?

This is the pick I'm easily the most excited about.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Don

I am assuming you will see that exact formation a lot which begs to ask the question why we just signed Kerley to a new 4 year deal. I know Gailey likes to run 4 and 5 wideout formations but still it seems a little strange.

15. BroadwayAaron

I think we will see a lot of empty backfield sets this year. We have the personnel to do so. But that makes the Powell contract even more curious. Im really starting to get the impression that the new regime isn't in love with Ivory... maybe they want to utilize Powell more?

16. BroadwayAaron

@Charlie Kelly I can't quote that post because there is no text, but I'm pretty see that roger guy is a Bills, Dolphins or Pats fan just trolling here. Check almost all of his posts. He's either a troll or dumb.

17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the highlight reel probably contains 60% of his catches...lol.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Screw Devin Smith get me that Quarter Back! lol

19. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Would have like to have seen a bit more college production. But I cant get on the Jets for actually drafting a receiver early.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Cardale Jones, if he starts and finishes the yr at OSU, he could declare for the draft and be a top 5 pick. If he came out last year, he would have been a first rounder.

We won't be able to get him more than likely unless his stock drops

NYJetsO12 and Footballgod214 like this.