Welcome back to the Jets, Morgan Moses!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 13, 2024.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With time to reflect, it is a good move. I've let myself get so down on JD that I found it hard to believe that he could still make a good move.

KY Jets Fan and Borat like this.
  2. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

It's a pick he didn't need to waste if he wasn't bad at his job in the first place

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The move has its pros and cons.
    PRO - Getting a RT upgrade is big for a season were making a superbowl push.
    CON - Using the equivalent of a 5th on a one year rental isn't great for the future.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think there was a study I believe by @REVISion or it could have been someone else, but basically there isn't a massive difference in outcome having a great offensive line vs average one. There was an enormous difference between average and poor. I am content getting Moses at RT as I think he will be a little above average RT for us, like he was a few years back. We do need other players as well of course, so overall we have an average to little above average line. For instance we need a good LT, we need another swing T, swing G.

Of course I would prefer a top OL, but if we can achieve average to little above average OL, which would be an enormous step up for us, this will not preclude us from contending. Moses is a decent piece of that puzzle. A few more pieces like this or better are needed though.

mezzavo and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Honestly I could give a shit about a 5th round pick…8 out of 10 of those guys turn out to be scrubs…we got an average RT and that is a HUGE step up from the absolute dogshit we had at tackle last year…this is a good enough move for now to me

The Dark Knight and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I guess I would be more positive if we didn't have the offensive coaching staff that we do, but I hear what you are saying.

7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's more on the player level -

Having a good overall OL is more about having no weak spots than it is about having elite guys at some spots and disasters at others.

5 average offensive linemen = better OL than 3 studs and 2 awful guys.

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, well, well, look what I stumbled upon: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/ravens-morgan-moses-could-have-shoulder-surgery/

Not sure if he decided to have it or not to have it, but either way, this is not amazing. If he has it, when does he come back? If he does not have it, he might need to struggle the entire season with it. It does explain why the Ravens traded him little draft capital.

If anyone thought we now don't have to go OT round 1, you might want to reconsider.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There's always a catch.

Borat likes this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'll be shocked if he takes the field. Bakhtiari is still in play.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Also, I want to go OT for the future.

NCJetsfan and Borat like this.
  12. abyzmul

Hard to see them not taking an immediate contributor at this point. Everything indicates Win Now. Except the expected results. OT is always development early, even for the can't miss guys.

ouchy likes this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I completely agree that is what will happen.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He might want to consider someone not injury prone with the next OT move.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Indeed, when you deal with Baltimore, you have to ask why they would be willing to do the deal, because they are no dummies. And now we have the answer. I still think JD did the right thing. But - we need another starting OT, that is also beyond obvious. It will be (at least) a 3 men OT rotation this season.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. abyzmul

I think that's Joe's only pitch.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Why would you trade for a player who isn’t going to take the field? Moses will definitely play. He won’t be 100% though. Either recovering from the surgery or still being injured by not having it.

Borat and ouchy like this.
  18. abyzmul

I stopped trying to figure out the Joe Douglas Offensive Line methodology long ago, it defies logic. I just don't expect to see much if anything of Morgan Moses at this point.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Moses said on a Zoom call this morning that he had the surgery 6 weeks ago and expects to be 100% for camp.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That is a good news he decided to go with the surgery and already had it. However, remember how Duane Brown had a shoulder surgery and expected to be 100% and came out game 1 to protect Rodgers? I personally am still trying to forget. We need to count on Moses being out first few games until he is truly 100% and didn't just go through one practice like Duane before Game 1. If he makes it and actually goes through the camp and is ready to play game 1, it's a bonus. Based on this exact scenario last year the operating procedure should be that he will need to miss a couple of games. That means we need a different day 1 starter at RT.