Weight loss tips for men

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by deerow84, Jul 16, 2012.

1. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Yeah, I agree, I was just stating the bolded. I mean, it does work, but a lot of people are like "ooooo, I lost 6 pounds!", and then they gain it right back in a few days.

But, for serious athletes (I'm assuming OP isn't one), I'd recommend high-carb, even on a cut.

Also, if OP goes to the gym and wants to gain muscle, I'd recommend creatine on a cut. Really helps retain muscle and increase energy during workouts.

I know I'm posting a lot in here, but this is literally my second-favorite thing to do in life.

2. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Number one being pounding reps at the combine weight?

(I couldn't help myself)

3. silent scream

silent scream Well-Known Member

Haha I love the beta-alinine feeling. That histamine flush really gets me ready to go lift.

That's fucking great that you gave it to an unsuspecting friend. If you don't know it's coming you probably think your skin is on fire.

4. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Actually, that's still up there. Trying to beat the record before I'm out of college :breakdance:

Although, I'm on a HUGE cut, so my progress has slowed a bit. I'm guessing you're saying that because maybe I've posted videos here before? I really don't remember if I have.

5. silent scream

silent scream Well-Known Member

No matter what kind of diet you're on, it's not a bad idea to do some glycogen (long strands of glucose stored in muscle and the liver) depletion exercise right at the beginning to kickstart things. Think high-rep low-rest kind of stuff. Then the calorie deficit runs on almost all fat oxidation. Stored glycogen won't be restored because you'll be ideally in a caloric deficit.

6. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Thanks, appreciate the tips and encouragement!

7. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Im not going to lie though, losing weight isnt easy at all. Putting yourself in a caloric defecit is hard, because for me at least, if im in a defecit, ALL I think about is food and it wont stop until I get the food. The only way I ever managed to lose the fat I had was by doing the 2 hour cardio, burning probably over 1000 calories in that span. I put my body in such a defecit that I didnt have enough time while I was awake to consume the amount of food to put me over. And I swear even after I quit the 2 hour cardio thing, my digestive system was moving so quick that my weight just continued to drop. I went from 185 to 165 in mere weeks. The lowest I got to was 153 and since just been building it back wit muscle.

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Another tip, although I dont suggest it for everyone is lets say you work an 8-9 hour shift. Do not bring any money with you at all, only food like a yogurt and 2 fruits. That would be only like 400 calories over 9 hours which means huge caloric deficit.

My job is only like 2 miles away from me so I do it all the time, obviously not carrying any money is kinda risky but if I have money on me I swear on my breaks I buy so much shit, I cant help it though.

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Been thinking about Intermittent Fasting for a while. Im going to do it.

Basically you dont eat for 16 hours, then you have an 8 hour window to eat 3 meals. Sounds good to me, ill tell you how it goes.

10. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Yeah, it really works, and I enjoy it a lot. But, I think it's worth mentioning though that the fast includes all beverages as well, except water.

Water is your friend. If you don't drink enough, your fast will be very unpleasant. If you do drink enough, it shouldn't be too hard at all.

11. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

just started atkins diet a week ago and already notice a difference. did it during the summer after my sophmore year in college. left school 210 came back 175.

12. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

I didn't read the whole thread so this might already be posted.

I gave up all drinks with sugar in them- soda, fruit juice, etc- and nothing else. A can of soda averages 150 calories; give up three a day= 450 calories; times 7 days a week= 3150 calories. Since a pound is appx. 3500 calories you'll lose close to a pound a week without doing anything else. I lost 17 pounds that way, from 170 to 153- a 10% body weight decrease. Took about six months or so.

13. Corrado Sparano

Corrado Sparano New Member

don't completely cut out carbs as they are your bodies main source of energy

simple tip is to swap all your white breads for wholemeal or wholegrain foods
    bread/pasta/potatoes/cereals

Avoid the white stuff
    works a treat
    :)

14. Mantana Soss

They are the main source, yes, but fat is the #2 source. That's why you burn more of it in a carb deficit.

I believe that carbs, fat, protein, and alcohol (srsly) are the body's 4 possible caloric energy sources, am I missing any?

15. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Furthermore any attempt at "dieting" will result in failure because the end notion is that you can achieve your goal and revert to your former eating habits.

In the past, when I've coached people on dietary habits, instead of "dieting", it's really a complete lifestyle change.

If you're thinking about dieting, you're recognizing that what you're currently doing is not working and thus your habits, diet, exercise, knowledge, etc. need a complete overhaul.

17. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

^This post is very true.

I needed to lose weight as I was around 6'6 252 with a big beer gut. I decided it was time to cut out the beer for a while. I picked up insanity and started doing it and changed my diet. I ate every few hours (at my job I can snack a bit). This wud be my sample diet:(I work 11am to 7pm)

wake up at 6am and do insanity
    breakfast then i had turkey and egg whites with hot sauce
    just b4 11am getting into work i had a banana
    1pm i had an apple and until my lunch break at 330pm i had celery
    at 330 i wud have salmon (substitute grilled chicken and other fish) with spinach and an orange
    530 i wud have cottage cheese with pineapple
    730 after work i wud have a chobani yogurt with almonds
    when i got home if i was hungry id have more cottage cheese if not id have a glass of 1%milk

right now im 6'6 232 and I have started to lift weight and do more cardio (biking, swimming, running) if i get a new schedule at work i plan on starting mixed martial arts. This is why i highlighted the previous post as its not a diet but a lifestyle change. I took a week off went back to my old diet and put 5lbs on again like that so you gotta keep it up. Good luck

18. MURDR

MURDR Banned

^Good job on the weight loss man, but fuck you. 6'6"...strong genetics! :breakdance:

When will it be my turn to be 6'6"? BRB, being the average 6'0" due to shitty genetics...

19. Mantana Soss

5'10 is average, you're doing okay.

20. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Well, maybe for the average non-athlete, but I still play middle linebacker and I box, so height has always screwed me over. I'd be twice the player I am now if I was 6'6", haha.

I'm just hoping that I get one of those extremely late growth spurts and get up to like 6'3"-6'4"!