Week 9: Jets vs. Jaguars Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, Nov 1, 2015.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, my timing really sucks. After years and years of either watching the Jets on Direct TV or going to a few Jets away games to see them in person I picked this Sunday to fly to NY and watch the Jets at the Meadowland for the first time. I was totally pumped up for the opportunity to be at home enjoying a victory while surrounded by Jet fans for once.

Oh how things change. After two heartbreaking losses, one humiliating to boot, this team is going into Sunday in dire need of a QB as a minimum so I have no idea as to what to expect. Just two weeks ago I was feeling we were at the top of the world with a solid chance at a wild card. Now we a scrambling to remain competitive.

Will we see a new QB under center? Will some of the walking wounded return to bring some respectability back to this team? Will our game plan become even more run dependent now? God help us.
    Well, hell, it is what it is. This team needs to dig deep down, find some resilience and come out fighting.

No matter what, I remain positive and will be there wearing my lucky Favre Jet jersey rooting my ass off, enjoying the sight with a bunch of Jet fans, hoping there are better days ahead.

Footballgod214, tiger8mush and Brook! like this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Haha, nah. Every game is a must-win. Yesterday's was. It would have put the Jets in a great spot. Instead they are not now. Thus, gotta win this week.

3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I really don't know how Wesley Johnson graded out. It wasn't as disastrous as the last time the Jets didn't have Mangold but run blocking wasn't there. And does Mangold return on Sunday. A lot of injuries against the Raiders.

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I really don't know what to expect vs Jacksonville this week. I hope our D comes to play and forces Gabbert into numerous turnovers but I just don't know. And for offense?

What is GENO playing qb this week? that definitely hurts are run game. They are gonna stack the box. Bring pressure and force him to beat them thru the air. GENO was so scared when the pressure came yesterday - just like all of last year. I would like to see a lot of bubble screens to Marshall and force them to tackle him 1v1

5. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

This was absolutely missing from the Raiders game plan. The Jets need to mix things up with some bubble WR screens, some traditional HB screens, H-back flares, and some delays. The Jets have used them to great success so far, and, while they might not be great for scoring quickly, they're excellent for those long game -shortening sustained drives that have kept them up in their wins.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about Jacksonville as they've been irrelevant for a decade but I watched them in their last game against Buffalo and they got an every down linebacker who is fast as fuck. Something Smith. Like a freaking hawk he was all over the field near the football all game. He had that pick 6 of Manuel. But even that doesn't begin to tell the story... he was EVERYWHERE in that game.

He's the type of LB that if he played here would make this defense elite. He is fun to watch so keep an eye on him sunday but I hope he doesn't make the Jets look silly like he did Buffalo

7. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Whew!… Can our fan base not handle a loss or what!?:rolleyes:

Alright, time for a rebound.

I'd actually feel fine if Geno started, so long as all hands are on deck at WR and RB. Ivory, Marshall, Decker, Kerley, and especially Devin Smith should help him keep the edge off, as he seems comfortable with the O in general. it helps that JAX doesn't have the most impressive secondary, Smith might look pretty good this time out, we just have to keep focus and stay ahead of the competition.

Mangold should be back, so theres that bit of stability.

Its also a weaker running D than last time, and despite their impressive pair of MLB's their D-line isn't up to snuff in general, Ivory should be back in dominant fashion again.

We can get by offensively as long as we strike the right run-pass balance. I think we messed up early last time with our persistent need to run on 1st and 2nd, despite the fact that Ivory clearly wasn't getting any leeway against the second best run D in the league after a while.

The Jags don't have an impressive running game, and Bortles, Allen & Hurns have yet to play a pass D as good as ours, sans CAR. Their passing game has been impressive overall but if they're forced to air it out like I think they will be, they'll struggle.

I was somewhat skeptical of our chances in Oakland but I'm feeling confident about this game. The jump off the cliff brigade might not want to here it, but our coaches ARE still quality even if they have a bad outing every once in a while. It happens, maybe fans are in shock because Oakland was a better team than the prognosticators foretold (with excellent run blocking, hot damn). But ya know what? so are we. We're still an above average team worthy of playoff contention, keep calm and carry on jets fans.

27-20 Jets.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

No predictions....no clue how we do here.

Dunno who starts for us

Since Fitz put off his surgery it must mean he can be ready. Lets hope so

9. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I'll tell yall right now if Ivory don't get back to his early season form we not beating the Jags on sunday. and the panic will begin.

10. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i disagree we are in "great shape" with a win.

we would be 5-3. we need a minimum of 10 and maybe 11 wins to make the playoffs after losing the H2H tiebreaker with the raiders. 2 spots with us, oakland, and pitt gunning for them and we currently have no QB.

11. jerseyjay14

The jags arent great, but they shouldnt be disrespected. they have some weapons on offense (Allen robinson, allen hurns, julius thomas, Yeldon) and a QB who can take advantage of them. if we get the same pass rush we have the first 7 games i expect bortles to do exactly what carr did. throw for 300+ and multiple scores

id put this game as a push right now given our QB situation.

we need a 125+ yard performance from ivory and a better pass rush to beat them.

12. GGusta

GGusta Member

jets win easily this week. Can You Say "R-E-L-A-X-A-T-I-V-T-Y" , sure you can, Mr Rogers.

13. jerseyjay14

its not an
    we called 6 screens. most of them were thrown in the dirt or missed. only 2 of 5 went for completions. a 4 yarder to ivory and the long one ot kerley at the end when fitz came in for 2 plays.

geno struggles throwing the screen pass. i dont think we will see many of them

14. jerseyjay14

nope.

if ivory is held under 100 yards we cant win this game. if geno starts and our pass rush is what it has been the past 7 weeks we will get blown out again

JetLifeLo likes this.
  15. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

At least my Mets made it to the WS my Jets won't get a sniff if Fitz is out and geno becomes the qb.

Brook! likes this.
  16. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Why?? In the end Flynn = Geno..

17. Revis Now Redux

Revis Now Redux Active Member

Jags not as bad as you would think.

Still should dominate them and if we lose this game, i have no faith in our coaching staff to get this team back on track.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Bryce Petty looked pretty good in pre-season and will have plenty of help.

With Ivory and Ridley pounding the rock, Marshall and Decker as targets and a good defense he won't be asked to all that much.

All we need is a QB that can move the chains, convert half of the third downs, and execute in the red zone.

Most importantly we need to avoid turnovers at all costs.

I think we have a decent chance to pick up a win as long as Geno does not play QB.

19. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Smith looked good too apparently for most of the offseason…

ugh, I'm already seeing me being called a Geno nut hugger or something, so just to be clear on what I'm saying; I'm almost certain Geno Smith could produce similar if not better results in the fields you mentioned as starter than a rookie in his frigging first start as a QB. (injuries being the variable factor in all this)

take that as you will when talking about Smith's overall potential, but damn it enough with this grass is greener shit. the fact that Bryce Petty hasn't disappointed us yet does not mean he'll be a superior QB than somebody who has, least of all in his ROOKIE SEASON.

Like Smith would somehow not benefit from the same support Petty would receive or Petty would be GUARANTEED to be any less turnover prone than Smith could be…

That all said, should Petty play cause Geno's hurt I hope he knocks it outta the park, and proceeds to earn our coaches trust enough to remain starter for a long time.

I'm just not gonna pretend he's our only hope anymore or that Smith couldn't possibly have a good game vs the 25th rated passing D in the league. by yds a game

And Ryan Fitzpatrick is our starter as soon as he's healthy again, Smith is just a fill in. Veteran presence and all that. Go NY Jets QB's in general, and GO JETS… right?

FJF likes this.
  20. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

What a lazy bunch of fucks. Surely they don't lack energy to go cash their game checks. Probably have a huge smile on their face for that one.
    Let's hope these bums show up this week.

Brook! likes this.