Week 1 Studs and Duds NYJ vs Buff

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 12, 2023.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

A player drops back to pass... one of three things are happening:

Completed pass
    Incomplete pass (which allows the Bills to keep a timeout)
    Turnover

You feel good about asking Zach Wilson to do something that has a 33.3% chance of working out? Bold isn't always smart.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Lol not a math major huh? Wilson completed 66.7% of his passes on the day so if you are going to use a percentage you should use that one

You gotta be more aggressive in that situation, the Bills were shellshocked and on their heels. The only chance they had was if they got the ball back in their two best players' hands (Allen/Diggs) and the Jets gave that to them

Acad23 likes this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I can understand why they didn't let Zach throw... but I don't understand why Breece never got the ball after we got the 1st down on the quarterback sneak.

NCJetsfan and NY Jets68 like this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

This is an unbelievably black and white way to look at things. All throws are not equal. Saleh handled this absolutely correctly in terms of throw vs. pass. You 10000% do not let one of the worst QBs throw the ball with the game on the line with under 2 mins left. You just don't.

LAJet likes this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Like @BrowningNagle so aptly pointed out... your math kinda sucks.

Garrett Wilson was one on one with a not so good rookie DB on that last series...

6. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i think they should have thrown the ball on first down. the clock was at 2:06 and was probably going to stop anyway after the play

play action, max protect, hit wilson on an in-breaking one on one route

7. BroadwayAaron

No you just want to compare apples to oranges. Completion percentage doesn't take into account a million different variables. You have to combine logic and math on this one. You have less to gain from throwing the ball than running it, it's as simple as that. It's why most teams do it in the exact same situation. If you want to bash the personnel on the field, fine, but the decision was a good one.

8. BrowningNagle

You have to! This is the NFL in 2023. Teams blow games every week by leaving time on the clock for their opponents.

Overly-conservative coordinators like Hackett are getting phased out of the game and he himself has been fired multiple times in part because of decisions like that. A first down there ends the football game and doesn't give Buffalo a chance. Go for that

Decisions like that are going to cost this team a game or two this season

Acad23 likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You're the one bashing the personnel on the field.

Forget the pass for a minute... Breece was ripping off yardage every time he got the ball.
    Why have Dalvin Cook and Michael Carter finish off that drive?

That's not conservative... that's stupid.

10. BroadwayAaron

This is confusing. You're bashing the personnel on the field, then telling me I'm the one bashing personnel on the field? We're agreeing so I'm trying to find what it is you're mad at. I said earlier that Saleh had a plan for Hall and maybe he didn't think a run right into the heart of a defense was the best time to push a guy playing his first game since an ACL tear. I wanted Hall in there. I did not want to throw and I'm glad Saleh realized it was much smarter not to.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We can't turn Breece into a work horse right away. Its a long season and he shouldn't get more than 10 - 12 carries for the first month.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

there was 1 scramble drill. the others sauce just let up the catch underneath. looks like he was winded and trying not to let up the big play. I seen him flat footed and grabby a few times too. he got away with some calls

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The dude watched his savior go down in the first quarter and somehow kept his guys motivated enough to win the game. That's a Coach of the Year-level performance.

14. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

Also Chaz surratt with the great block otherwise Gipson may have gotten tackled, who knows if jets score with Wilson at helm in overtime if he gets tackled at about the 35

IDFjet likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

breece is coming off an injury and probably hit his limit. he was getting winded easily, he ran out of gas on that 83 yard run. last year he blows everyone away easily. also cook is good at securing the ball, breece did have a fumble OOB backwards earlier in the game that cost us yards.

16. GasedAndConfused

he actually had 2 good blocks on it. one prior to the last one

17. BrowningNagle

It was very odd, the Carter run cold off the bench on 3rd down was really stupid especially considering Carter fumbled away the game in Buffalo last december. You had 3 backs and hes the one least known for his ball security

it was a pussy attempt to get them to burn their timeouts, the focus should've been on getting the first down.

I woulda rolled Wilson out on one of those plays, a safe rollout burns as much clock as a run does and actually has a chance of picking up a 1st down

Acad23 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Sauce, it was pointed out multiple times last night how he only works one side of the field. When do we allow him to follow the number 1 receiver wherever he lines up? He’s NOT Revis (yet) and obviously only in year 2, but if he truly wants to be a shutdown corner, does he NEED to follow the number 1 target?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

This not how Ulbricht's defense is schemed. In this defense the corners do not follow the defense. They play their half or third.

JETSJETSJETS17 likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

Saleh’s defense doesn’t call for it. And not for nothing, I’m rolling with Saleh’s opinion.

JETSJETSJETS17 likes this.