We should have stayed put

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by al_toon_88, Apr 25, 2009.

1. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

well i was one of them...i hope i end up eating my words again

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

well you just manned up to admit it :up::beer:

3. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

I must say, im pissed we took sanchez, I REALLY think he'll bust, i hope im wrong but look at the team he had around him, i think he had more weapons at sc than he does here and im not even kidding.

We still have a huge hole at WR and maclin was sitting there at number 17. Maclin and Cotch could have been perfect compliments.

People were talking about how we had little depth on the dline, now we have zero and were missing a starter.

Im not really mad about getting rid of Rat and Abram Elam but I just dont think we were in a position to take such a risk, We could have taken a fringe tackle guard or de at 52 and been in a much better position depth wise.

I hope im really wrong, but this whole thing gives me a headache,

With KC in a contract year we can kiss him and any value he had goodbye, even if he plays good, no way we keep him unless we franchise him.

4. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

I actually like the Sanchez pick and hope he makes it but this has PSL's/Woody greed written all over it. He is well spoken and a pretty boy- the perfect new face of the franchise. Hopefully he is also very good!

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

maybe he'll bang some daughters of the models that JWN nailed back in the day

6. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Ryan New York City, New York: do u think the jets gave up too much for Mark Sanchez

SportsNation Mel Kiper:

Sanchez won't be the QB this year, it will be Kellen Clemens. We don't know what kind of player he will be.

Sanchez will be the starter by Year 2 at the latest. Once he's established as the starter, they'll be well on their way, especially because of their defense with Ryan as the head coach. New coach, new QB, that's what you're going to war with. And Sanchez is ideally suited for New York City.

7. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

dude...ratliff played well in the preseason and thats all...id rather have a top 5 QB via draft who has 10x more potential...elam is extremely marginal although he had a decent year last year...teams are going to expose his lack of speed this year...he has a nose for the ball but hes extremely flat footed and is replaceable....and coleman? are you kidding me?? possibly the worst coverage guy i've ever seen...

so we move up to get shonn greene anyway in exchange for late round picks...

ill take sanchez/greene over maclin/marginal players/late round picks/and whoever we would of gotten in the 2nd

8. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

disagreed....and im not saying the wrong thing to do is sit sanchez....but i think especially based on last year seeing flacco and ryan do so well in their rookie years and our HC coming from balt where flacco plays, we will see sanchez starting....

i think theyll call it an open competition but with a favor going to sanchez....

9. ........

........ Trolls

Are you suggesting that if he doesn't start this year, it's a wasted pick?

Look, I was incredibly happy with the pick, and I've been rather vocal about wanting everyone to calm down about him "needing" to start this season, suggesting that a season of learning and developing would be a great way to bring him in.

However, the fact of the matter is they did give up some value (not much, relatively, but some) to grab him. You'd better believe that they're going to be intensely focused on how to get the best value out of the pick. They'll make the right choice on whether to start him, and they'll get the best out of Sanchez.

10. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

I love how people sit around and debate how dumb these moves are. I think most of them think that if they bitch about it enough, it'll change. Like Tanny will come out and say, "Well fuck, these 6 guys on TGG don't approve of our draft, maybe we should fix this..."

It's cool if you aren't buying the picks, that's your right as a fan. But your opinion isn't going to change anything. So do the rest of us a favor, quit bitching about it, and start backing our team....with that, OUR Quarterback. If you dislike him that much, the Patriots bandwagon always has room on it.

And we should give a shit why?

That’s what Un-drafted Free Agents are for.

Wow, so now we’re attacking college careers. Ok. So, since Maclin is such a stud, why can’t he get more then 80 yards verse a decent team? Sorry, 89 yards…at Nebraska. He had 7 Receptions for 39 Yards verse NORTHWESTERN in the Alamo Bowl. Anytime he faced a legitimate defense, he got shut down. And for the record, half of his 1200 Receiving yards last year came against Kansas, Colorado, Nevada and Buffalo. What a stud.

I agree. But what people need to realize is that this will be a CONTROLLED Offense. Sanchez or Clemens aren't going to be out there slinging it 30/35 times a game. They'll be simple plays, simple routes and a lot of running plays. Of any Offense to throw a Rookie QB into, this is the best.

#70 SyracuseJet, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

No point in talking about woulda, coulda, shoulda's.

Here's hoping that both Sanchez and Greene works out.

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

did you have any proof or confirmation that Maclin would have been there at 17 had the Jets not moved up and a player other than Sanchez was drafted at 5, changing who was available past them and who the other teams could have taken, or was that just your own lack of logic or simplified intuition?

13. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

The only way Maclin isn't there at #17 is if Cleveland, staying at #5, takes him or Crabtree. And if you haven't realized by now that there is very little chance that would have happened -- Cleveland traded down 3 times and ended up with a Center, picking in the late 1st round -- next time you should actually watch the draft or check the results before bashing me.

If you want to argue Maclin won't be a good pro, that is open to debate, but I am simply stating fact based on what went down. Now there is no way the Jets could have known Maclin would still be there, but regardless, we would have gotten a good value pick at #17, somebody who could come in and hopefully contribute in 2009.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

that's because Jets fans are scared shitless to take a QB in the draft.

then they complain about not winning SBs.

15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

What is so special about, Maclin? Seriously..

I would've rather of had, Robiskie.

Which is more important for a championship team? QB or WR?

We have enough talent in house to compete this season, who cares about a WR. They are not as rare as a franchise QB. We took a chance at hopefully having one now, out of a very weak draft class to boot. We could still get a good WR if need be, but I doubt it will be essential.

Stop crying..

16. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I think the Jets made the right move, however, the Browns took Crabtree off their draft list last week (Mangina called him a Diva). If the Browns hadn't made the deal with the Jets, they probably would have done something with the redskins.

17. ........

........ Trolls

Holy shit, I just realized you live in my city. Do you happen to know if there are any Applebees around LA?

18. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

Armchair GMs...love them. The Jets pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to scouts and such who do this stuff for a living and they make plenty of mistakes, but they get payed to make decisions like draft Mark Sanchez.

But for some reason, every year the Jets make the worst mistakes because you guys know something that this billion dollar organization didn't know. If you guys have some knowledge that NFL teams don't have why don't you work for the league? The NFL doesn't seem shy to pay well.

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Everyone just assumes we would have taken Maclin. Has anyone been paying attention over the last couple days? We would have taken Harvin, how anyone in their right mind would rather have Harvin over Sanchez is beyond me. The same can be said for Maclin as well but he would not have been the pick.

20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Every man and his dog has this down as good move and good value - people on this forum seem to feel that they need to bitch and moan for the sake of it.

And what if we drafted Maclin and he pulls a Ki Jana Carter in his first pre-season game and ends his career with an injury, or gets busted for something, or whatever - you can't play that game of if's and but's - it was a smart move to make and if it doesnt pan out well thats the rik you take.

There are no certainties in life - only educated guesses at best - and this seems like one to me.