We need a new OL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I hear you guys when you say we have to keep Tomlinson because we have bigger problems at tackle but they should explore upgrading left guard.

It might feel like a luxury to do so but Tomlinson being healthy and on the roster shouldn’t really be a reason to keep the guy around. He is not a good player at all.

It’s easier to find a good guard than tackle and there are a bunch of good ones in FA.

2. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Becton laughing and smiling yesterday was a joke. Idk if they even care to resign him. Bring him back as a RT maybe? Really need Alt or the PSU kid.

but where are the developmental OL? How do we miss so badly on Max Mitchell? Carter Warren?

barfolomew likes this.
  3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think OT obviously needs to be the pick at six. Becton is more than likely gone (especially after these last two games). I was on board with keeping him, but if the Jets have a chance at one of the top OTs in the draft, he's obviously not gonna be here.

I think the Jets biggest goal this offseason is finding out why everyone is always getting hurt. Are they really just that unlucky. The OL played pretty well for the few games where AVT was moved to RT.

Tomlinson, Tippman and Vera Tucker are going to be here next season. Carter Warren is going to be here as well. Obviously, I dont know how the Jets feel about him, but it would be nice to see a couple games of him. Having a RT already here ready to take over would be huge. Tomlinson makes a lot of money, so he's not going anywhere. Maybe he can be replaced with a late rounder or something.

Fashanu/Alt
    Tomlinson
    Tippman
    Vera Tucker
    Warren

Its not pretty, but it would probably be solid if healthy. If healthy.

barfolomew likes this.
  4. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

You know, I recall these same conversations with Fant and Moses too. We bring guys in that had success in the past, they play like total ass here, then go on to have success elsewhere. Tomlinson was a good player before he came here. I’m much more apt to believe that we just have very poor coaching

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Fair point and don't disagree with you at all. It's all going to come down to how they approach FA and the draft I guess. If they want to throw money at WR, I doubt they will be able to fix 2 tackle spots + another guard spot. If they draft, lets say Nabers and want to throw money at OL, then I think it's feasible.

Replying to a different post, but great point about the 3/5 starting OL for this team. Really puts things in perspective when you take a step back.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Moses and Fant were decent here though. The most puzzling one is Greg Van Roten. He’s been one of the better guards in the league this year and was one of the worst offensive lineman I’ve ever seen try to play the game.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

I think I’m out on top-tier free agent receivers. I’d like to see them try to do what Jacksonville did minus Kirk. Find some good possession receivers ala Zay Jones, Marvin Jones last year, Engram off the tightend scrap heap and add volume of #3 types.

Cut Tomlinson, sign a big time guard. Re-sign McGovern and play the new guard-McGovern-Tippman until AVT is back on the interior.

Draft a tackle in the first round, sign a journeyman RT ala Jermaine Eluemunor from the Raiders and the line is rebuilt.

Would love to get a big time receiver but we can go after one in the 3rd. It’s a decent class down the line.

tomdeb likes this.
  8. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

A bunch of good FA? Other then Robert Hunt on the dolphins (currently hurt) who are the bunch of guys your referring?

adarius peat (a 1st round bust) ? Greg van rotten ? Please name 3 guys other then Robert hunt

9. nevbeats319

Who is the big time guard please let me know and your stating you want to upgrade the line but sign in the same sentence " sign a journyman guy"

#149 nevbeats319, Dec 18, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonah Jackson is the name I’m looking at from the Lions. Damien Lewis is having a decent career for the Seahawks. Kevin Dotson is a bit older to sign to a bigger deal but having a really good year with the Rams.

Jon Runyan on the Packers? Hal Vaitai doesn’t even start for the Lions and could be had on a decent deal I’d imagine.

There are a lot more options at guard than tackle. It’s basically Jonah Williams, Onwenu on the Patriots and everyone else.

11. nevbeats319

Im sorry - ill state this again. Having a better QB fixes the O-line itself making it decent.

The Texans had issues across the board other then LT. Did George Fant all of a sudden become a really good RT? No, he is blocking for CJ stroud instead of Zack Wilson

#151 nevbeats319, Dec 18, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  12. nevbeats319

ok, Kevin Dotson was on the Steelers (whos line stunk last year) they wanted to upgrade and they traded him. So you want to sign him after he played 1 decent year in a great Offensive system ( like Laken Tomilson)

Hal Vaitai is regarded as one the worst contracts ever givin to a O-lineman and is a career backup

every guy you named is what Laken was with the 49ers, probably not even as good

i understand they need to get bodies here but none of it is the clear upgrade people are pounding the table for.

13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I still remember when people on this board tried to convince everyone that being 370 lbs had zero impact on ability to come back from knee injuries. The Jets homer rejection of logic knows no bounds.

abyzmul, stinkyB, Trainer and 3 others like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Did you see the other names or you just blew past them? What would you do then, champ?

I wouldn’t just settle for a shitty left guard because he’s a breathing body on the roster next to a rookie left tackle personally. We’ve settled for shit sandwiches across the entire offensive line for years and I’d be aggressive to go fix it rather than patch fixing it.

15. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I think it's the turf. Made by a company called Tarkett I think. Not good stuff. Remember when our field lifted off the ground after heavy rain? The turf has to have something to do with it.

16. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

The dolphins were without 4 of their 5 starting o-line man and still dominated our defense. Coaching,

barfolomew and REVISion like this.
  17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This goes back to the rigidity of our coaches. They are completely dogmatic in their philosophies. Both Hackett and Saleh.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

I noticed the edits just now. Dotson is the only one close to Tomlinson except he didn’t play between two Hall of Fame offensive lineman in a contract year to get $13 million.

It’s not some unbelievably difficult feat to turn over 3/5 offensive lineman in an offseason. The Rams just did it with 4/5 offensive lineman in a single offseason from 2022 to 2023 and poof they’re in the playoff hunt.

19. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Jeez, - you're right about Van Rotten. I mean PFF is not the ultimate final measuring stick, - but at least it gives some kind of indication.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Check out this clip guys:

Connor Rodgers nails it - you can start at 2:10 mark. First he mentions how Sauce has not been maximized by lining up again the best players, but his bigger point is that the O line is uncompetitive. Not just bad - that would have still been a major upgrade of what we have. It is simply not competitive at NFL level. OLine is the foundation of scoring points in NFL. Without it even if there are shiny players around like Breece and GW - you are still fucked on offense, because it is lacking a basic foundation. And this is what some of us tried to point out again and again and again during this (and every other, but particularly this) off-season.

JD was originally hired to fix the OLine for Darnold. He even promised it to his parents. He failed. He then failed Zach, Mike White, and Rodgers by never putting out a competitive OLine out there. As Connor is saying, it has nothing to do with who is the QB - with bad OLine you just can't function. Frankly I don't even know exactly how much Zach improved from last year, because the O line is not allowing to see a clear picture. And this is not to defend Zach or Sam, who probably would not have been great QBs anyway, but JD sure didn't help the development of the very high investment (two top 3 picks) by not giving them a solid foundation of the OLine. Nor a very high investment on the 40 year old QB, who clearly needed a better protection.

To me, this is squarely on JD. You can say coaching too, but he hired these coaches. We are on the 2nd OC and OLine coach. Should we just try for the 3d? That would be the definition of insanity. We need to clean house. I don't want to see JD around this team, and frankly I don't want to see these coaches either. Saleh has failed with 2 OCs and 2 OLine coaches already. Yes, defense is good, though Sauce is vastly underutilized and can be improved also, but if you are a defensive HC, you'd better hit on these OCs, and he failed twice. JD needs to be gone ASAP, and that means Saleh as well. They are on the same timeline, and the time is up.

Centiment, stinkyB, Ralebird and 2 others like this.