We need a new OL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Nov 23, 2023.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Becton is the size of a dump truck, he'll get a better deal from a man blocking team and he'll be a better fit there because we keep handcuffing ourselves to the WCO scheme.

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

That's a great point. There are too many reasons to not resign him (not that I think he'd want to be back here anyway).

I think the case for OT in the 1st is getting stronger by the week. Better hit on this one Joe...

3. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I've also been concerned about Becton's not fitting the zone scheme. That's why I'm skeptical about taking an oversized lineman like Latham (Evan Neal redux?) in the draft. That being said, maybe Becton can lose a few more pounds and move better with another year removed from his knee surgery? He seems pretty bonded with Aaron Rodgers.

barfolomew likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Kaleb Mcgary is a similar lineman and career path to Becton. Massive dude, 1st round pick the year before. Struggles with pass protection and staying healthy.

The Falcons declined his 5th year option too but they resigned him last year at 3 years / $34 Million. That's around what you can expect it would take for Becton to be back. Although he may ask for more since he is a left tackle and Mcgary is a right tackle.

Is that what we want to do? Give Becton around 11 or 12 million a year. Idk about that... I wish we could have a different GM, with better eyes than Joe Douglas making that decision.

BrooklynJetsFan and joelip like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think it's his height as well as his bulk that hurts him in the ZBS. I think if they could trade him for a decent return and upgrade both tackles it's be a better move.

joelip likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wonder how many times Hackett has changed blocking schemes and why. Maybe the LaFleur influence?

Because he was following Marrone around from Buffalo to Jacksonville and you know that meathead was running man blocking schemes.

abyzmul likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I can't remember the last time I saw some mid-season aggressive scheme change by a Jets coaching staff during my adult life. Bonus points if it worked.

8. BrowningNagle

You just know that Rodgers' friend Bakhtiari is going to be the Day 1 starter at LT next year

no chance he lasts all 17 games but he will be the big offseason acquisition

stinkyB, barfolomew and abyzmul like this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Here is a great article on Becton, citing multiple analytics publications and film:
    https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/12/12/ny-jets-mekhi-becton-re-sign/

This is what some of us have been saying for a while. Becton is below average, possibly bottom 3d player this season. Still injury risk even if he lasts this year. The reality that he is arguably our best OLineman is an indictment on how bad of a job JD has done building the unit. We cannot go into the season with him as a projected starter. We need to get two other starting caliber tackles. If Becton takes under 10 mil to stay also, that would not be the worst move as he could complete for a starting spot, but we need to add two strong tackles to the current unit instead of Max and Billy.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Another JD mistake.. Lets hope he's not as stubborn with Becton as he is with Zach.

Centiment, Borat and teamgreen like this.
  11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Heard Conor Rodgers this morning talk about how Becton a little. I was thinking a 10m bridge deal could be fine, but he was at half that for 1 year and let him prove it/build his value up. A good year at LT for the Jets and Rodgers could bolster his value quite a bit, but I could totally see someone else throw multiple years at him since he is so big and still young.

The main concern with Becton is that he is awful vs speed pass rushers which you can live with if he is mauling people in the run game. He isn't even doing that.

Borat and barfolomew like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

Becton still looks a little out of shape to me. He throws his hands out at people instead of engaging.

He's got some big azz mitts but you'd love to see all his power thrown at the defender than a hand or two. His legs are behind his head/arms

barfolomew and abyzmul like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think Becton gets more on the open market than that which is unfortunate for us because as below average as I think he’s been, he’s the best we got.

The tackle market is pretty thin behind Williams. I can see him getting a Jack Conklin type 3/$42-$48 million.

14. dawinner127

God that's a scary contract and I'm probably out on that deal.

Andrus Peat is someone who I think could be a solid option. Going into 2024 with

LT - ?
    LG - Laken
    C - Tipp
    RG - AVT
    RT - ?

Rookie + Jonah Williams/Andrus Peat could work.

Borat likes this.
  15. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I hope we keep Becton. We need to be adding pieces not discarding them. He's serviceable. More than I can say for others.

16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

With all the work to do on the OL, I'm accepting that Laken might not be the biggest of our problems. Especially with cap restructuring to help that huge number he has.

Ideally I'd like two new starting OTs too - 1st rounder at LT then a FA at RT.

Somebody mentioned in another thread David Bahktiari following Rodgers here in 2024. Could definitely see that. Great player, but older and when was the last time he stayed healthy?

Borat and Jets79 like this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And that's the biggest indictment on JD. A strong argument can be made Becton in aggregate for the year has been the best Olineman for us, though Tipp albeit inconsistent particularly in the running game, is an ascending player. And Becton, while is not terrible like a lot of others, is still below average/bottom 3d. I mean with Becton's injury history we are lucky he is even playing, even though he is below average. JD actually had Duane and Max projected to start who are awful when healthy.

Basically, JD conditioned us to look at mediocre to bottom feeder OLineman and hope we overpay and keep them because others we've had are even worse! This is just wrong on many levels.

barfolomew likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

The Jets will save $8mill on the cap if Laken Tomlinson is cut prior to June 1st. Otherwise he will make nearly $19 million next season

19. dawinner127

Just think it might be to much work to replace 3 starters with Laken. The only guy to remain healthy all year as well. I think you leave that spot unfortunately. Hopefully an improvement at LT and Tippman taking another leap will help Laken.

barfolomew likes this.
  20. dawinner127

I really wouldn't want to go down that road. That dudes legs on this turf? I'm good honestly.

barfolomew likes this.