We need a new OL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's been 4 years now. Mac is ancient history at this point. And I am not even saying to get rid of JD necessarily because he did build great defense and Rodgers will be back next year, which might just be enough to get another year by the skin of his teeth. But can we call spade a spade also and be fair? 4 full years and still poor OLine and offense in general is not a good thing even if Mac sucked 5 years ago.

barfolomew likes this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its true we used the 11th pick on Becton. Yet we declined his 5th year option last year and knew this was his last season. Then we draft a DE to prepare for the future, even though we already essentially released his highest OL pick. Preparing for the future would have been replacing Becton, not adding to our deepest position. It goes to show where JDs priorities are, and why he fails to build a complete team.

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is precisely the point! He declined Becton's option - and was right to do so: Becton hasn't played for two years and cannot be counted on. But then can we re-evaluate and realize we don't have a single young good OT on the roster? Was he counting on Max? I mean Max was a day 3 talent from a small school who sucked last year and then had a physical condition that sent him packing for the year. We needed a major infusion of top young talent. And even more so when he could not score Orlando Brown. Then he botched Broderick Jones, we don't have a 3d, and somehow Dawand Jones slips to 4th. It would have taken a 6th round pick to move up to get this talent, which is considered by everyone way higher than Max or older injury prone Warren. I mean neither of these two guys could hold a jock strap for Dawand in College and Carter Warren is actually older than Becton and was also out for the year last year.

Instead JD moves down in the 4th to get an extra 6th round pick. Priorities are just not there, and coupled with poor evaluation and decision making we ended up in a tough spot.

4. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

JohnnyJet likes this.
  5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I know nothing about the young guys you talk about drafting but I like what you are saying about the current roster. Agreed 100% about Bechton. He is a serviceable OLineman he simply isn't top tier. Having said that, you know they are going to let him walk. His ego has already shown us who he "thinks" he is. Maybe reality sets in and he understands that any NFL paycheck is better than no paycheck at all. No one is going to give him top L-tackle money period. IF a team does give him a shot it will be a 1 year deal to see if he can stay healthy.

6. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

I pray that he is not conducting the draft. He's going to draft an edge pass rusher, who is taxi squaded for 2 years.

7. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Welcome to last offseason....seriously...the "plan" for the Oline was to hope that the oldest OLineman in the league would heal up and be a servicable LT and that an injury-plagued OT that had only played one game in the two previous seaons would bookend the line for a season. It's not really "the injuries" alone that have killed the Kets Oline--- it is that even in best circumstances it would have been middling at best. And the coaching and scheme just suck to really amplify the injuries and poor FO planning. I'd like this CS and FO to put as much interest in the Oline as they do the Dline. Then maybe the offense wouldn't be one of the worst in the last 50 years in the NFL.

ColoradoContrails and jets_fan like this.
  8. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

The Jets gave up 7 sacks to Miami yesterday. After the Hail Mary play, I could not watch the game anymore. I hope the Jets improve their OL during the offseason and Keith Carter works out. My initial impression is he is good at coaching run blocking buts sucks at coaching pass blocking. I believe this is the reason he was fired by the Titans. I hope I am wrong here about Carter.

Borat likes this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yes as long as we dump the WCO and go to an E-P offense with man blocking. Pull blocking needs lighter tackles and I'm tired of waiting for them to figure that out.

10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

How bad of a move would it be for the Jets to just extend the injured AVT? Basically tell him we get it... you went down covering our sorry asses but we value you and want to make sure your a Jet. Just make a deal. This is America after all... just make it happen so at least retaining AVT isn't a future problem.

11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets have a pretty good O-line if healthy, but they have been devastated by injuries...again. I think the team needs to figure out why they keep getting so many OL injuries. It seems like more than coincidence at this point.

12. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

No more giants on the OL. Too injury prone.

13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

If we get AVT healthy back again next year, just feels like we should keep him at guard. We have Tippman at C and McGovern can be kept as well (not sure if he’s actually under contract next year or not). And while Tomlinson has not been good, if we have to restructure or pay cut and keep, that may work. We need two starting tackles though. Becton is hurt. Again. Shock to no one. He’s been what, average, for us so far? I think we need two starting tackles…can get one in free agency and one in the draft but we need two. Warren is still an unknown, and Mitchell is looking more like a backup every week.

So ideally, if we can get 2 starting tackles and a starting guard to upgrade Tomlinson, that would go a long way. If we can’t realistically upgrade Tomlinson, then it’s not the end of the world either if we can find the two tackles.

There is no QB or OC who can make this offense work without an OL

BrooklynJetsFan and Borat like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Mitchell to me is looking like a guy who should not even be on a PS. This is his second year, he is 24 now and he regressed from the year before. I bet we can put Cerdrik in right now and he can do just as good (bad). He did last year.

And Carter Warren looks bad too and is even older than Max. He is a rookie, so I am willing to see what he can do next year, but so far between his preseason, regular season performance in 2 games and injury history it's not looking amazing. Maybe he can be a back-up, we'll see. Sucks that with a small trade up many people were begging JD to do, we could have had Dawand. Instead traded down and settled for older injury prone inferior talent in Warren, and here we are. But hey JD saved a 6th round pick it would have required to get Dawand, so we were able to get much needed Zaire Barnes, who helped so much this year. Great stuff, JD.

15. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Go get Joe Alt.

NYJ1970 likes this.
  16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The only two guarantees on the roster next year are Tippman and AVT. They without a doubt have to go OL with whatever pick they have in R1. That gives you 3 spots. I think they keep Laken which is the 4th spot and maybe Wez Schwiezter can hold the fort down at the other guard spot if they leave AVT at tackle?

17. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

The Jets O-Line issues the past 2 years were INJURY related, the jets have been down to 3rd,4th string O-lineman. You can have 5 1st round picks and 5 backup FA. if they all get hurt this what you get,

You guys need to understand, having 5 very good lineman today is very hard to build. there isnt enough GOOD lineman in the draft and a GREAT one is NEVER available in FA. In another post, a poster was ranting about how bad the Oline on CINN is and got Burrow hurt ( and i knew everyone would be saying they want Jonah Williams)

They need to look at their medical staff first and find ways to improve their training to stay healthy,

and most teams o line is a line of 1-2 good players and 2-3 average players that could play for string of games together.

LT- they need one ( how they get a good one if they dont pick in the top10, who knows
    LG - Tomilson - He is a average guard, yea he makes alot of money but again, your not going to get one for cheap
    C - Tippman - Good here
    RG- AVT - GREAT here, need a backup to play both spots
    RT - Need one - i would sign Jonah williams as well. he can play LT too but you will be paying franchise tackle money for a very average one

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

One of three possibilities in the 1st and OT is definitely one of them. A top QB would be hard to pass up as would a top WR, but I do think they'll go after Davante Adams or Mike Evans to pair with GW and Lazard (unfortunately) if Rodgers is back.
    So I'm leaning toward an LT high in the 1st. Becton might be better off with a fresh start and he hasn't been great this year anyway, but I also wouldn't completely rule out resigning him at a reasonable price.

I'd be open to cutting Tomlinson but his availability is such a plus and I don't he's been as bad this year. At RT I would let Carter Warren and Max Mitchell compete. I'd also resign McGovern and Schweitzer for depth.

Jets79 likes this.
  19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The average number of players on the IR is 8.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The medical/training group definitely has some issues. I am not certain but I think Joe Douglas & group has brought in several new guys, including a new medical director ,and new "sports performance director" in recent years.

There are several examples over the past couple years but what stands out to me is throwing people out there on game day who are not in shape. Becton in 2022 Duane Brown in 2023. Makes you wonder about the physical condition of the rest of the team compared to the opponents. Injuries will happen but physically we can't be behind the opponents

--

Also we've all commented on the strange, often secretive messaging behind injuries. That is not good for this front office.

It's not just a fan thing, the players need to be able to trust their in-house medical team. That is huge for retaining talent and for free agency.

We've seen several players go public with their gripes about how the Jets handle injuries including Ty Johnson who was told he needed season ending surgery, now Johnson is getting multiple carries every week for a division rival. (Scored a TD against us last week - ugh)

mezzavo likes this.