We need a new OL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Why do you think JD can fix the OL next year though is what I am wondering? 4 out of 5 projected starters for this year and all top back-ups are well below average to absolute worse in NFL. Only AVT is above average, and he has been hurt for last 2 years. These are the guys JD intended to be starters this year and their PFF ratings: Duane (not enough snaps but stinks 47.9 grade), Laken (47 of 77), Tipp (29 of 39), AVT (28 of 83), Max (74 of 83). Guys projected as top back-ups: Becton (60 of 83), Billy (not enough snaps but stinks 50.8 grade), CMG (36 of 39), Wes (not enough snaps but stinks 52.7 grade). Out of all these guys only AVT is good. Tipp may be good one day, but so far he has been below average. And that meets the eye test too.

The injuries in this case is the most pathetic excuse as can be. Yes, there have been injures, but all but one player actually played well. And that includes all starters and top back-ups. Right now we have 4 out of 5 projected starters available. And the line is as bad as at has been. So yeah, there were injuries, but aside from AVT all his top guys sucked anyway. With that said, JD had 4+ years to address this problem which he said was the main one when he came here 5 years ago, and said would address. He didn't. Part of it too could be the coaching. But JD hired 2 OC now with their staff, and the line has always been bad. Maybe it is someone else now who should be hiring the coach.

So to me, the obvious thing to do is to ensure that JD is not one fixing the problem that he actually made worse in 4+ years. He can't do it. Even a month back when we were still competing for play-offs, he didn't get a solid RG to finally replace AVT (Ezra Cleveland) when he could and stuck with the shit we have. Actually my mistake, he got Rodger Staffold off the coach. He he back to doing dumb shit he did 5 years ago when he got Ryan Kalil off the couch. Where is Rodger Staffold? I mean we sure need help. JD can't fix the OLine. If we want to increase probability of success for next year, JD and Saleh need to go and we bring new regime to work with current players. Maybe they can actually fix the line and the offense. JD and Saleh have proven they can't.

Ralebird likes this.
  2. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Borat and REVISion like this.
  4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Baby steps.

You need someone who understands personnel to acquire talent for the OL.

Then you need someone who can coach it.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's not that I have faith that Douglas can fix it, I'm just a realist and know that he's likely not going to be fired, so what choice do we have except to hope like hell he's finally learned something? And believe me I don't have much hope there either.

6. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Great stuff here[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

7. ColoradoContrails

It's Zach's fault. /s

8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

There was a time I was thinking we can try to bring back Becton and even Tomlinson - he's been durable and maybe can be serviceable with upgrade around him. I'm not trying to be too reactive from week to week, but the larger body of work for these guys has made me rethink this. They both have to go. For Becton, it would be one thing if he was playing well when healthy, but he's not. Plus he's obviously a huge injury and maturity-issues risk. Tomlinson should offer some consistency but the left side of the line has been atrocious. Inexcusable. He has to be cut too. You can get equal guard play for the veteran minimum. Not sure about the cap rules, but if Tomlinson is designated a Post June 1st cut, the savings are higher and dead money lower. Either way, new left side. Good JXF article^

Tippman is the one sure thing (not that he's been amazing, but serviceable and he's only a rookie). And that he can play OG well too is huge. AVT is a sure thing if healthy, but two straight season-ending injuries is a big concern. That can also play RT effectively is huge. Not that I love shifting these guys around as it seems there's some evidence that's implicated in injury risk, but it's doable.

In a perfect world, they'd draft a franchise LT, sign a legit starting RT and LG and add depth. But all that isn't realistic especially with their needs at WR, backup QB, and impending free agents. At this point they're locked into a LT at 1. The rest is variable but more players are needed. badly. I think you can make the case for bringing back Connor McGovern to play C, slide Tippman to RG and then AVT at LG or RT depending on who else they can acquire. My initial plan was to have Mitchell and Warren compete for the RT job, but that's a hard sell now. Mitchell has somehow looked worse this year. Not that either couldn't take a leap in their next years, but at the absolute minimum they'd need a really solid swing tackle who can start if needed.

Tough decisions, but this is what happens when you try to build through the draft but don't draft well. If JD had hit on Becton and one of Mitchell or Warren (still not impossible but rough start), this would be a completely different situation. Instead, you can't count on all 3. Oh and if he had signed a better LG, we'd also be in much better shape.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I remember that play. That was when I started doing something else.

HomeoftheJets, mezzavo and stinkyB like this.
  10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here's another doozy. Tomlinson, Becton, and Tippmann all apparently blocking each other while two defenders run free? What's going on here?

Jets81, HomeoftheJets, Borat and 4 others like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I missed where anyone on this board said that about the Dolphins game?

stinkyB and Savatage like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I wonder how PFF would score that

13. ColoradoContrails

It's not just this past game, it's been said all along. It's only in the past few games that it's become blindingly obvious that is isn't all Zach's fault, but there are still some who think you can declare him a bust without accounting for this other stuff.

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

To be fair, there are like 1-2 people who act like everything is Zach's fault at this point. And while we haven't done him any favors as an organization, he's definitely a bust.

HomeoftheJets, Ralebird and stinkyB like this.
  15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think they're discussing favorite beers and BBQ recipes...

REVISion likes this.
  16. mezzavo

lol...my stupid app didn't update so I didn't see the earlier post. Oh well, the article was sooooo good that it deserved another posting! :D

Ralebird and Centiment like this.
  17. mezzavo

I can't even say he's a bust at this point. HOW are we going to tell if the Houston game was a fluke if he's getting his head ripped off 85% of the snaps and running for his life the other 15%? I'll say again, it's a hell of a lot easier to find a DIFFERENT O.C. AND o-line coach than it is to find a FQB. It's also easier, for most teams, to find competent o-linemen. (see a new set of coaches and GM) to pick the o-linemen, than it is to find an FQB. We've got Wilson for ONE more year under contract. I STILL say go find competent coaches and a COMPETENT GM FIRST and then see where that leads us.

Let's be real here. NO ONE is going to give us jack for Wilson so may as well see what next year brings. First obstacle, for me at least, is I'm still trying to determine if I want to put anymore energy and love behind this team with Woody "numb nut" Johnson running the show. Not sure what my decision will be yet.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Sadly you know JD is staying and at his end of season bullshit press conferance where the Jet press suck up to him as always, we will hear that that he is happy with the guys he has as he was with his QB room. We are doomed.

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What's this FQB talk? He would have done fine if he could have elevated himself to the level of QB by now. A franchise quarterback is made, not found.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

At this point it will be very difficult for Zach to become true FQB. Big part of it is the Jets mishandling him, big part of it is his own shortcomings. He was probably over drafted too and definitely had to sit and learn like Jordan Love and have a real teacher... But, that's water under the bridge, we are where we are. This is really very similar to Sam. However, I can see clear improvement this year to the point that I think today he is actually a decent back-up. Not unlike Sam. And also still young, which means there is some upside. It's hard for him to show it with more consistency because with this O line and play caller it requires a miracle to have a good game. But has done it a few times.

Think of it like this: Russ has taken a nose dive with Hack to the point where he was QB passer rated only 7 points above where Zach is now (84 vs 77). And Russ had a better Oline than Zach had and some good play makers. Russ is consistently rated around 100. So, I do think Zach has improved to be a decent back-up, like Sam, but this is far cry from saying he is not a bust picked at #2. I may be in the minority, but I actually don't mind having Zach return as a back-up, but we also need a 3d cheaper guy like a Wentz. Unless someone offers something meaningful in a trade (maybe a 4th), which I think is what will ultimately happen. Then we may need to spend for another backup plus a Wentz. We will need to carry 3 QBs next season given Rodgers age and coming off injury.

mezzavo likes this.