We Are Penn St.!

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Pam, Aug 15, 2009.

1. jetsandtheunder

he really came back from that knee injury

2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Train wreck! Oh well 3-1 #13 in the nation

3. matt robinson 17

No Sean Lee again?

4. matt robinson 17

Stephom Greene is explosive...4-1

5. matt robinson 17

5-1 :beer: Minnesota this week...

6. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

I'm ready! I hope Sean Lee is playing. I haven't heard any news.

7. matt robinson 17

PF they have to hide his helmet every week or he will run on the field, he dresses for every game even though he's not playing...:smile:

8. Pam

LMAO! The kid has heart, that's for sure.

[​IMG]

9. matt robinson 17

One good thing it wasn't the surgically repaired knee from last year...

10. Pam

I thought this would interest you. :)

Penn State linebacker Navorro Bowman eager to play with Sean Lee
    By Josh Langenbacher
    October 11, 2009, 12:48PM
    . JOE HERMITT, The Patriot-News
    http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2009/10/linebacker_navorro_bowman_eage.html

A case could be made Penn State has two of the best outside linebackers in the country with Sean Lee and Navorro Bowman.

But each barely knows what it's like to play with the other. The pair have only played together for three plays this season because of nagging injuries.

This week’s game against Minnesota is expected to be the time when Bowman and Lee are on the field together at the same time.

“I think if he had to go today, he could have went,” middle linebacker Josh Hull said of Lee after Saturday’s 52-3 win over Eastern Illinois. “I’m pretty sure he’s going to do everything he needs to do to get on the field for the Big Ten game this week, Minnesota.”

Joe Paterno wasn’t so sure, calling Lee’s injury a day-by-day thing – as has been the case for three weeks – and said he won’t have a clearer idea of Lee’s availability until he sees how the captain practices Monday.

“He’s dying to get in there, but as I’ve said many times, we don’t want to do something foolish,” Paterno said. “We want to be careful with him. We’ll take it day by day.”

Lee, who watched Bowman emerge as one of the country’s best linebackers last season as he redshirted with a torn ACL, sprained his other knee and has missed the past three games.

Bowman, meanwhile, left the season opener midway through the first quarter with a tender groin and missed the next two games. His first game back was the first game Lee missed.

Predictably, he is eager to play with Lee.

“It changes a lot having two guys who understand the game from a student aspect to the fullest and two leaders on the field and things like that,” Bowman said. “Like I said, I’m grateful to have a teammate like Sean and anxious to play with him.”

11. matt robinson 17

Bowman is a force also, I would like to see them play together, by the way they are both lights years better than Hull, who gets beat every week and misses tackles every week...

12. Pam

Yup. I can't wait to see them both on the field. Hull has his moment thou. Wonder if he's struggling because they moved him from the middle to the outside?

13. matt robinson 17

He struggled last year also, I just don't think that he is that good, Bowman had that 92 yard fumble return, that was nice...

14. Pam

Great game yesterday. The announcers were talking about where did the phrase "We are....Penn State" came from. I thought I would pass it on. Very interesting. :)

The Origins of "We Are Penn State"

WE ARE! PENN STATE!

That chant and slogan resonates through Happy Valley year round. But where did it come from? Thanks to Lauren Boyer at the Centre Daily Times we now know. And you may be pleasantly surprised.

The year is 1947. Racism and segregation continue to run rampant throughout the country. And yet this was the time when Penn State's most iconic battle cry was born. The 1947 Nittany Lion football team - coached by Bob Higgins and not one Joe Paterno - was undefeated and headed to the Cotton Bowl to take on Southern Methodist. Despite the feeling towards African-Americans around the states, the 9-0 Penn State teams was united. This 1947 squad contained two African-American players, Wally Triplett, who was the first African-American to be drafted and play in the NFL and Dennie Hoggard. And they were part of the team, in every sense of the word. Prior to the Cotton Bowl (played on New Year's Day, 1948) rumors swirled that SMU wanted to meet with Penn State in regards to their black players playing in the game. The University and football team wanted no part in this meeting. It was at this time that Triplett says "We are Penn State" came to be.

?We are Penn State,? Triplett recalled Suhey saying. ?There will be no meetings.?

Suhey is offensive guard and team captain Steve Suhey. Penn State's unwillingness to leave their black players at home is admirable. And what was their reward for standing up for what they believe in? The Dallas hotels around the Cotton Bowl would not admit them due to the presence of Triplett and Hoggard. Did the Nittany Lions ship them off by themselves? No. The team drove 14 miles outside of the city and bunked at the Naval Air Station.

The game was played as scheduled, with no more problems revolving around race. Though SMU may disagree. Triplett scored the decisive tying touchdown and the game ended in a tie, 13-13.

Triplett is ever grateful for Penn State and his former teammates.

Most of [his] success Triplett attributes to ?that team? from Penn State ? a school that he says doesn?t get the credit it deserves for advancing civil rights.

"That team" that stood up for him and did the right thing. "That team" spawned - in all its glory - the everlasting phrase: WE ARE PENN STATE.

http://sportsfountainhead.blogspot.com/2009/02/origins-of-we-are-penn-state.html

15. matt robinson 17

Interesting... 6-1 #11 in the nation, Sean Lee was amazing in limited action...

16. matt robinson 17

Good article about JoePa in this week's Sports Illustrated, PF...

17. Pam

I got it yesterday. Excellent article. Good one on Braylon Edwards too. :)

18. matt robinson 17

19. matt robinson 17

PF please rename this thread to something positive , thank you...

20. Pam

I'll ask a mod to change it. :)

BEAT MICHIGAN!!!