We are now on Plan L

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jay Bizniss, Mar 13, 2018.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The Jets organization should at least strive for excellence instead of mediocrity. Last year there was no expectations and the Jets won 5 games, but is that really something to hang their hats on? To me, they should try try to improve on that because the bar needs to be set at making the Super Bowl and the steps towards reaching that goal must be carried out in ~3 offseasons.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The real issue is that they've drafted like shit (especially Idziks epic failure) leaving a crumbled core of a team....... who wants to join that if they have other options?

Red Menace and boozer32 like this.
  3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Playoff mandates are fucjing stupid. That kind of shit is why we fire everyone every 3 years and go nowhere.

stinkyB likes this.
  4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Is there a way to EXTRA LIKE a comment?

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

PSLs are the answer to what ails you. They don't care.

6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

what is the point of saying playoffs or we clear house when we have a poor roster and no quality QB on the roster? all it does it put you (the owner) in a bad place of either having to get rid of people that may have done a good job in order not to lose face or losing face - only make ultimatums you think are achievable

7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

how exactly does a team plan to go about acquiring a young hall of fame caliber QB?

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Draft one.

9. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

If you have the right GM in place, you don't need any playoffs-or-bust mandate. Just let the GM do his job. If you don't have the right GM, fire him and hire the right one.

The questions are (1) whether Maccagnan is the right man for the job and (2) if he's not, whether the Johnson Bros. have the remotest clue as to how to find the right man.

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I didn't realise it was that easy - makes me wonder why every team doesn't do it ;)

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'm going to give you a deck of cards and mandate you build the Eiffel tower with it. If you can't pull that off off, your fired and terrible at your job. Also i'll have millions of people watching you criticizing your every card placement waiting and rooting for you to fail

12. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Woody is weak no doubt

Mac needs to have the draft of the year with 4-5 impact starters or he’s finished

Bowles needs to develop young players into stars instead of relying on vets.

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

At this point the Jets are on Plan 9 from outer space.

Josh McNown is all we have to show for $100 mil in cap space while other teams have added pro bowl talent.

Sell the team Woody!

dogg and PennyRoyal10 like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

All it takes is a GM who knows what he's doing. OOOOPS! We don't have one of those, sorry.

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

the real issue - same ole jets!

16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

So you think that the Johnsons don't put any pressure on Macc at all??? Yeah, sorry I'm not buying that. This is make or break for him. If he can't solve QB situation or at least put us in a position for the future at the position, then he's a goner. Guaranteed.

You don't just give a guy a playoff mandate on a rebuilding team, LOL! I could see it if they signed Cousins or something, but they are looking to build the future of the QB of this team.

The idea that Macc is apathetic or not trying is the most absurd notion I've seen in a while and that includes Jethro's posts.

#116 Sam Hammer, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Red Menace likes this.
  17. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I’m becoming more and more convinced that we will be selecting Denzel Ward at #6. Fuck this FO.

18. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

I know that it sounds really simplistic, but think about it. If you have the wrong guy in the GM's chair, you can give him any mandate you want and it won't do any good. Does anyone think that some super-duper special mandate would have turned John Idzik into a competent GM?

Even if you have the right guy, mandates can be counter-productive. Let's say you have a GM who is going about it the right way and is on the path to building a team that will be competitive for years. If the owner gives him a playoffs-or-else mandate, he'll probably have to switch gears and squander all the cap money on declining vets who maybe have enough left in the tank for one playoff run. Then, the team will pay the price the next year, and the year after when those declining vets are shot.

Ultimately, you need an owner with the knowledge to know whether he has the right GM and the patience to let that GM do his job. I'm not sure Woody/Chris has either attribute.

19. ColoradoContrails

I'm not advocating for a "mandate". other than make the team a perennial SB contender.

20. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

You keep drafting them (in the first round) until you find one.

ColoradoContrails likes this.