vlad 'the turnstyle' ducasse

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyJETS0511, Aug 15, 2011.

1. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

Oh those numbers. Well, I wasn't averaging out Vlads stats as you suggested, but simply gave an example of a tackle who dominates one area of the game, and fails in another. If I used Vlads actual stats from last night, I would have averaged him out to 48 sacks per year.

As for cutting a decent backup in the last year of his contract... Yes, I would expect that in two years, we will be able to draft a 7th rounder, or pickup an UDFA who can also fill the backup role, but will have more potential, and will cost less.

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Until, what miraculous thing happened?

He got coached by Bill Callahan.

Remind me again, who's bringing Vlad along?

3. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

You are right. He's a year away from being a backup.

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Once upon a time you could have put Brandon Moore in that sentence to same effect...So what's your point?

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

brandon moore wasnt a 2nd round pick.

6. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Pretty sure we didn't even have to draft Vlad he would've been there

7. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

Brandan Moore was a decent starter in his second year after being converted from DT. He showed potential early, unlike Vlad.

As for this comment...

"If you were a QB and you had Vlad Ducasse as your lone blocker and James Harrison coming at you, would you be OK with that?"

I'll change it for you so it's more reasonable...

"If you were a QB and you had Vlad Ducasse as your lone blocker and Jesse Nading coming at you, would you be OK with that?"

No, I would not.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The 2nd round pick argument is equally tiresome when everyone knew he was a project and is going to take time.

Extremists make me laugh.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

What did McElroy say about that play? Seriously. What did he say?

10. IATA

IATA Trolls

that is 100% wrong, actually. he was graded as a 2-3 by most everyone.

so ya, his one bad game with extensive playtime is apperently enough to change history.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I am with you Mrs. Ducasse, extremists make me laugh too.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

It did change history.

Kennedy wouldn't have been killed if Ducasse stopped JJ Watt.

13. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

If you knew draft day that Ducasse wouldn't be ready until year 3 at the earliest do you still make the pick?

I sure as hell don't.

They knew he was raw but I'd be shocked if they thought he was this raw.

14. IATA

IATA Trolls

imagine if gholston had gotten a sack? would the dinosaurs cease to be extint?

15. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

I don't know. Please impress me.

Based on your last post, we seem to be in agreement. You think he needs another year to - "get on the field and not shit the bed"

I think we'd all be in agreement about that. I have a little higher standard though, and prefer my third year 2nd round picks to do better than "not shitting the bed"

Rookie 7th round picks can get on the field and not shit the bed.

I like your optimism, but I think you should hold your draft picks to a bit of a higher standard. You know he's not what you expected. You know you're disappointed with him, and you know he's delayed in his progression. Why do you keep sugar coating it? You said yourself he's a year away from not shitting the bed when he gets on the field.

16. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

My point being at this point in time I'm sure no one would...maybe Vlad will be fantastic and I hope he is, just at this point in time I wouldn't want him protecting me..

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Geez is it really a surprise that the number 2 pick bit is a factor in the analysis here??? It would seem to go rather clearly to how good or bad the FO did in picking Vlad.

I think Tanny has done much good, and has been certainly an upgrade over Badway. But he's made some rather obvious and huge mistakes before. VG being one of them. It;s not like he can't have made another with Vlad.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

ah, its hindsight though. Looking at it like that, of course not.

I don't know either, if they thought he was going to be this raw. I'm gunna chalk that up to no real offseason. He's had 2 weeks of camp with the coaches since last season. That's not going to help a raw player like Ducasse.

I'm convinced he's going to see looks on the unbalanced line as the 6th OL in run plays and he's going to do a great job. He plays very mean on runs. Turner's out, so he's the only one left right now. Unfortunately, the Jets are going to need to find a guy who can play inside and out on the line to be a backup right now.

19. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The problem is Offensive lineman are every down players, its not situational like on the D line. He hasn't shown any skills at all as a pass blocker.

Put yourself in his shoes, you make he NFL, you're an acknowledged project, your weakness is known to all and yet you've done nothing to improve your weakness to improve your chances of making a career from football. I know people will blame the lock out but the guy was horrible last summer and is again and he's had all year last year to improve his technique and hasn't done so.

At some point you have to cut bait. His run blocking may get him a pass again this season and they'll pray they don't have to use him other than to give a guy a break here and there but by the end of this season if he still hasn't improved its time to move on.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Because I don't care about his 2nd round grade when I know he's a project.

I know what to expect, and not hold a standard that he's not going to reach in his 2nd preseason.

He's got one, just one, aspect left to work on - pre-snap assignments.

And McElroy said he changed the protection at the line and Vlad didn't hear it. That's why he got off the ball late. No one communicated to Vlad that things changed.

And what am I sugar coating? My analysis was objective. He can't play right now, but its not this "cut him now he sucks" attitude that the thread has seen. He's almost there.