Vlad Ducasse

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetdic, Nov 18, 2012.

1. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

This is also what I'm seeing next training camp. Maybe the Jets should gamble a 2nd or 3rd rounder on QB prospect? Like the Syracuse kid (assuming Bills coach doesn't take him).

=====
    Coming back to Vlad:
    Vlad + Slauson @ starting guards is gonna be big trouble. That OL is going to be so bad that they'll lose entire games by themselves. With that lineup, if Mangold or Brick knocked out early in the season, Jets could be a 4 win team.

Guard or RT or both MUST be added this draft. Jets have to put themselves in a situation where it's nice if Vlad steps up as a starter but it's not required.

My ideal scenario is that guard is drafted, Vlad starts & Slauson is backup on the OL. He's taken some snaps @ center & I think he'd be an excellent/cheap backup. This would really improve the Jets.

In drafting: Tackle > Guard normally, but I'd rather see Howard sitting @ RT than Slauson+Vlad in starting lineup.

Howard was nothing special last year but at least he's close to average. Slauson/Vlad combo would be really ugly.

#81 ajax, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. BTC

BTC New Member

I have said in two or three other threads that the Jets should draft Nassib from SU. But I have a feeling the god damn Bills are going to pick him up and let him compete with Fitzpatrick in a system he already knows and with an OC he's already familiar with.

3. ekaarons

ekaarons Member

howard at r.t.yu must be kiding me.the guy is a statue.he has to go.

4. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I haven't seen Nassib play much. However, I've been reading up on him and I really like the reports. I'm regretting now that I didn't watch his games last season.

I want a QB competition to be more competitive than McElroy v. Sanchez v. random-7th-rounder.

Bring in a 2nd or 3rd round QB talent. Give the guy one year to develop & if necessary draft another QB again next season. QB position is so weak it drags down the entire team.

#84 ajax, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

QB's don't develop accidentally unless they are all-time HoF types.

One of the reasons that mid-2nd to 4th round QB's don't develop that well is that they don't get the kind of attention they need. Nobody has their career riding on a pick like that. The resources needed to get them over the top just aren't provided and if they were really good they'd have been snatched up by somebody else earlier.

Yeah, now and then you get really lucky after the early 2nd round but that's all it is. Getting really lucky.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I generally agree here except I can see Bell back at the right price, and having both Pouha and DeVito leave is gonna leave a hit on the DL. I would feel differently if I thought Ellis was better than I have seen so far. I don't think he's shown he's starter material, and has had some issues with fragility. Yeah, so have Pouha and DeVito, but you need a rotation on the DL. Thomas is one you didn't mention who will also be gone, and him and Pace often supplemented the DL in certain sets. With them all gone, who do the Jets play beside Coples and Wilkerson???

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying any of them are definitely coming back. It will depend on the price.

7. Big Blocker

I get that Howard is better than Hunter, and also than VD, maybe Slauson, too.

I don't get how that means for some that Howard gets the love. He's not even average.

8. Br4d

Maybe the Jets will draft a tackle and move Howard inside?

9. Big Blocker

Very possible, depending on BPA, and as a temporary move. Two seasons at most. I just think we have already seen Howard's ceiling, and he's not even average. But yeah, if he can play OG, and why not?, he could be an upgrade over VD. Probably Slauson, too.

10. Br4d

I was thinking at RG. Moore is a free agent.

11. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Vlad was one of the few people on offense that improved a good amount this year. I think he'll be a suitable replacement for Moore, he just has to improve his pass protection. He's been really good in run blocking, better than Slauson at least.

12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be too upset with a Brick-Howard-Mangold-Vlad-Rookie lineup. Assuming we take a pass rushing OLB with our first pick and a QB with our second, then a RT with our third?

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Good luck planning on starting your 3rd round RT and not getting you QB killed.

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Not to mention 'A' gap blitzes with Howard & Vlad at OG.

15. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

You're gonna have a new RG & average @ best RT (which is Howard). Mangold is not gonna be able to babysit RG because he'll have a barely serviceable LG on his other shoulder.

If you want to draft RT & push Howard to Guard then you need to draft somebody ready to start from day 1. Tackle that good from 3rd round would be one of the best picks in the entire draft. Also, there's no guarantee Howard will be able to handle Guard.

Mangold is a stud & Brick is solid but the two of them can't carry 3 guys lucky to be starting in the NFL.

===

I'd like to at least consider QB after round one but I think it's even more important for Jets to upgrade at least one of three weak link starters in OL (LG, RG, RT). Otherwise that OL is gonna be so bad that it'll sink the whole team.

16. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

let's say the Syracuse qb has a 3rd round grade. since the bills draft before us, you either have to draft him a round early, or trade up ahead of them at the last minute to grab him. both are unlikely to happen, if we want to add depth and not trade away picks.

17. Big Blocker

A good amount??? Really?

By the last three games, when the Jets were out of the playoffs, and it made sense to give VD more reps, he STILL only was being played on one third of all downs.

Btw the make sense part I forgot to mention before on this thread is in part based on the fact that Slauson is an FA this off season. If I were him I'd go somewhere else, given the way his contract was renegotiated and he had to split time with VD in a weird way (never heard of a standard rotation where a backup OG comes in like clockwork every third series).

But back to VD - I am not saying he showed no improvement, but he is still a long way off from being starter material. Starter material, that is, if one means good starter material. He sucks.

18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

The problem is with this board IMHO is that they delude themselves in believing that a player is good when really they suck & should be classified as a draft pick dud just like VG sorry to say :sad:

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Not sure how close Ducasse was to the 45% but I wouldn't be surprised if this played a part in the decision not to play him more after the season was lost.
    http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/capconcerns.html

20. So basically the exact contrast to what you do by completely drowning yourself in negativity & deprave.