Vince Young

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreyhoundJet, Apr 11, 2006.

1. akibud

akibud Active Member

I respect your opinion.. But in my opinion, Vince Young is a better QB at this stage than Eli Manning was at the same stage. Eli made a bad college team marginally better. Vince Young made his team national champions.. Eli took over his team in the first year.

2. lightning

lightning Active Member

Well it doesn't really matter, because leinart's better than both of them..:)

3. lightning

lightning Active Member

Eli manning was picked number 1 because of a last name anyway^

4. akibud

akibud Active Member

....... exactly why VY's test scores and odd release don't matter... those are just the reasons to provide the smokescreens necessary to allow him to fall lower into someones grasp. Bottom line.... he's a winner.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge VY person, I wouldn't be upset if we did draft him though. I just don't agree with a lot of what you're saying. Don't have time to get into a debate over this right now because they actually gave me something to do at work.

1) Vince Young can and has passed out of the pocket very well. He reads the defense looking for a pass, checks down, and runs if those options aren't there or he gets in trouble. A lot of the offense at Tennesse was called for him to run, yes you have a valid point. It's not like he isn't looking to pass when a pass play is called though (over 3000 yards passing). So I don't agree that he's a run first passer. I also don't see how VY wouldn't be a team player. You seem to just throw that in there and expect us to believe he's not a team player for some reason. Just because he can run doesn't make him not a team player or not a pass first guy. Steve Young did quite a bit of running in his career and he was a great passer. I'm not comparing VY to SY, I'm just making the point that just because a QB can run well doesn't mean they can't pass or aren't looking to pass.

2) I didn't bring up his HS under center action to try and say he's ready for that in the NFL. My point was that it's incorrect for everyone to say "He's never taken a snap from under center". He has. The Texas coaches saw what kind of athlete they were dealing with and realized they could take advantage of NCAA defenses using the scheme they did. I doubt it was because they weren't confident in his abilities under center. If you have evidence proving otherwise, please share.

3) Your opinion is that he won't do well against NFL defenses. You may be right, you may be wrong. If you take away his running ability, it would definitely take away part of his game. To come up with an arbitrary number like 70% seems a bit out there. Namath was a fantastic running QB in college too but his knee got busted up and he couldn't run anymore. Again, not comparing VY to Namath at all but making another argument that a QB that runs and passes can still do well without running all the time. I agree he will no be able to run so much in the NFL but his running abilities will not be completely taken away.

I hope we draft Ferguson.

#25 WhiteShoeWillis, Apr 11, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  6. lightning

lightning Active Member

and a project...If we draft young we're basically putting the future of the franchise on the line for a guy who has ALOT of work to do, we're gonna have to get a damn good qb coach to work with him. Normally i wouldn't mind, but we're talking about a top 5 pick, i say if we're gonna draft a project qb make it jacobs in round 3

7. parafly

parafly New Member

The Titans are smokescreening. They will take Leinart with their #3 pick, and they are just trying to make sure that nobody trades up to #2 to take him first. Nobody in their right mind takes Young over Leinart.

8. lightning

lightning Active Member

unless leinart eli's his way here, it's hard to believe

9. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Hard to believe we give up what the Giants gave up to get Lienart since he isn't as highly regarded coming out as Eli and won't be the No. 1 pick in the draft.

10. lightning

lightning Active Member

i doubt we even have to do that, since there is a vince young there it may take just a few words to make sure the titans pass on him, but who really knows...

11. parafly

parafly New Member

I don't see the Jets trading up for Leinart. If he's there at #4 (something I don't think will happen), then I say go for it.

If the Jets do decide to draft a QB and Leinart is off the board at #4, I see either Whitehurst, Croyle, or Jacobs in the third round.

12. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

Vince Young is prototype NFL quaterback material the day of the pocket passer is over.Defensive players are bigger faster and stronger than ever.The qb needs to be mobile and able to get away from an oncoming rush.Did you see Vince manhandle USC in the Rose Bowl i did!

13. lightning

lightning Active Member

tell that to the top 5 qbs in the game....

14. akibud

akibud Active Member

I take it that your top5 will not include McNabb, Mcnair or Culpepper or Big Ben..

15. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

And who might they be?

16. lightning

lightning Active Member

nope, especially mcnair, culpepper and big ben, culpepper is very overrated, mcnair maybe a few years ago, but if you remember it took mcnair quite a few years in the league to make an impact

17. lightning

lightning Active Member

ill maybe give you mcnabb because im a syracuse fan...but ok

1. brady
    2. manning
    3. palmer
    4. hasslebeck
    5. mcnabb/delhomme (maybe doesn't have the stats, but he can get it done)

18. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

In my top 5, 3 of them are outstanding passers on the move and can all run. In Palmer's case his knee injury may change that radically?

I would rank the top 5 NFL QB's right now:

Brady
    Palmer
    McNabb
    Roethlisberger
    Manning

19. lightning

lightning Active Member

In comparison to young though, all those athletic qb's were pass first qb's and came in right away and made an impact. I'm not saying young won't but there were alot less questions about there arms then they are for young

20. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

hasselback NO i decent year is not top 5 material
    brady is on the decline opposing defensives have figured him out
    manning im presuming payton has won NOTHING

Young can easily slide into your top 5 list no doubt in my mind the names you mention id say 3 are year in year out consistent for now.