Vilma trade ideas - merged 3X

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsIn2004, Aug 27, 2007.

1. I wouldnt reject the idea of it depending on the return..however..you'll never see a trade like that happen in the NFL.

2. Rhodes_25

Rhodes_25 New Member

let just put vilma at lg

jk jk

3. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I can't believe some of your are actually considering the idea of trading our 25year old Pro-Bowl MLB for a 30 year old free-agent-to-be guard straight up. I personally would have to get A LOT more to consider trading Vilma.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is not a crazy idea at all. Vilma to the 49ers for Justin Smiley and a 2nd round pick next year would help immensely in resolving the Jets issues on both sides of the ball. It would not make us a strong team but having Barton and Harris in the middle of the D plus Smiley at LG would at least solidify both of those units. And the 2nd round pick next year would recover some of the draft damage from this season.

Edit: of course the 49ers might not want Vilma in their 3-4 with Willis there also.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You have to be a child to think that anybody is going to remember a bet that won't be settled until 20 years from now.

6. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

he is a star MLB, so it woul dhave to be a top top top LG in the entire league...I think a linebacker's maximum value far exceeds that of a LG

7. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Im all for trading vilma....but Im thinking trade him for a high draft pick and pick our own guard

8. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

Wow, didn't get flamed at all

9. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Totally agree, and he improved as the game went on. I am not concerned about Bender, I think he will be fine at guard. I was disappointed more in Brick actually, but think he be alright. Lines take time to "gel". Settle on the starters, which I think they have, and let them grow together.

I might trade Vilma by the way, but not for a veteran type guard.

10. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I would consider trading Vilma, but only for a top notch lineman under 28. Most of you don't realize but Faneca really wasn't good last year, he's 30 now and he's looking for a huge contract. That's three strikes. Maybe he picks it up again now that Cowher is gone and the complacency is over in Pitt.

11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

all of a sudden the vilma trade talk is not so much non-sense after all....i actually posted this leading up to the 06 draft cause the new 3-4 was obviously a poor fit for his talent.

i llok at it in other ways - the jets will not be able to pay vilma when he is up for an extension. they will have to cut bait with him cause you are not paying a natural MLB in a 4-3, the money an ILB in a 3-4 is deserved. they do not equate each other and the jets will have to move him.

they will need the cash to pay rhodes anyway.

trouble is, vilmas value was higher 2 years ago than now and the jets need to re-maximize it. that'll be hard to do this year the way things look.

jil

12. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Actually Murrell they have not changed to a 4-3. They let go of Porter because he was awful last year and has knees problems. They drafted Timmons and Woodley to play OLB. Tomlin is letting Dick Lebaue continue to run his 3-4 and they are doing some different things like using Brett Kiesel in multiple roles.

They don't have the personnel for a cover 2, certainly wouldn't be the best use of Troy P. to have him playing a deep zone. And why would they make switch to a 4-3 when they have Casey Hampton one of the few dominating 3-4 Nose tackles?

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Then who would line up next to Harris - Who'd move inside Barton or Hobson? That'd actually probably be a very good move, but it's unlikely to happen.

14. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Barton played inside last year.

15. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

i dont know what the hell any of u guys are smoking, drinking or dropping, but this is preseason, PRESEASON!!!!!!! pennington looked like a high school backup qb last yr in preseaon then torched the titans, u guys need to calm down and trust the braintrust that took a very average team to the playoffs, trading vilma is insane, such a gifted/hardworking/smart player will make the HYBRID3-4 work, thats right, hybrid, not exclusive, unless we are ganna get a dominating nt then now way shud we trade vilma for a lg, or else we will be just as dumb as teams like the vikings who gave steve hutchinson a gazillion dollars and still sucked, if u wanna hate, please hate

16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Oh, I didn't see that they weren't scrapping the 3-4...He probably will eventually soon.

17. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

lets not trade Vilma and say we did

#57 Scikotic, Aug 27, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  18. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

your right....heres your flaming....

[​IMG]
    calm down, the season hasnt even started yet

19. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

:lol:

[​IMG]

20. ViLMaNiaC51

ViLMaNiaC51 New Member

I like this idea.. I Mean a Top 3 Middle Linebacker, which is basically the QB of the defense, for a LG which is just one piece of a 5-man O-Line. It sounds like a great idea.