Vilma lost for the year (MERGED)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by falcon4e, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I know I'm in the minority, but I still contend that Vilma is fine in the 3-4, and is one of our best athletes. Trading him would be a HUGE mistake. Bruschi had trouble adapting to the 3-4 as well, and that turned out OK.

The fact is, you don't get better by trading your best players away.

And Jeaux, Vima has looked like garbage? Heh. Sure thing, pal.

2. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Watch some jet games for crying out loud. There is a reason Vilma said on WFAN that his benching, had nothing to do with his knee injury.
    Now Tony you do know the diffrence sizewise between Ted Bruschi and J vilma. J Vilma is an undersized LB, that more closer to be a safety size. Youcan give Vilma four more years in 3-4, and its not going to matter. He just dosen't have the size to hold up in that scheme.

JVilma was once your best defender, but thanks to mangenius, has made him a JAG.(Just another guy/scrub)
    Hey you can keep your DROY(at least till next offseason) and watch him continue to be a nonfactor, or you can get what you can get(third rounder), and move on. Nobody knows if Vilma will ever be the player he was two years ago. Like I said two years is a long time, in football years.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

What did VIlma do two years ago that made him great?

4. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Compare to the last two years. Vilma looked great. Lets just say he's no Kirk Morrison or Thomas Howard. Who can play in any derfense.

5. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

really, I dont remember the Raiders running a 3-4 in the last 3 years...

6. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

And if anyone knows more about "men sizes" it would be Jeaux. :up:

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

You misread what I meant, by saying Vilma is a first round pick I meant that is what he is worth to the Jets.

Vilma's problem isn't his play, whenever he gets protection he makes a lot of good plays. the problem is he's not getting protection from the DLine because Mangini INSISTS on starting Robertson at NT, where he constantly gets blown off the ball and allows guards to slip into the second level. Vilma is not the only guy who is struggling, he is just the scapegoat because he's the biggest name. Vilma, Barton, Hobson, and Thomas are all equally struggling, so to decide that since Vilma is the biggest name in the group that his value is suddenly reduced is lunacy.

The fact is, no team is doing us a favor by trading for Vilma. If they want a quality product, they will be made to pay for it. Now rip the Jets coaching all you want, it is deserved, but the Jets have been good with most of their trades, and WILL get good value from someone who wants to pay for it.

If the Jets were to get a big fat nasty NT in the middle, like Jamaal Williams or Albert Haynesworth, you will see Vilma suddenly return to form. Vilma is too young and too valuable to let go for a fart in a bag.

8. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Yes they did run a 3-4 three years ago. (W sapp to De experiment that went wrong) Neither K morrison or Thomas Howard played in it. Thats correct, but neither wouldn't have a problem in it. In fact I said it numerous times Raiders could throw out an awesome three - four defense right now.
    Lets see LDE Tom Kelly 6'6 300 NT g warren 6'4 330/ T sands 6'7 335 RDe J Richardson 6'6 285 OLBs D burgess6'2 266 , Thomas Howard 6'3 240(guy can play anywhere LB, safety and occasional even CB)/ C Clemons 6'3 240
    ILBs kirk morrison 6'2 240 . sam williams 6'5 260 FS - Micheal huff 6'1 205(more natural for him than ss)
    Ss Jon Alston 6'0 225( hopefully he eventually winds up here. What the defense is missing.
    CB N Asomougha 6'2 210 CB S routt 6'1 195 Two physical cbs.

Lets see Raiders outside pass rushers can get to the QB- Burgess, Howard, Clemons, and sam williams. Raiders ILB can stuff the run Morrison, Sam williams, Howard. That defensiveline would eat up alot of Olineman freeing up the lbs.
    Raiders are probably heading for a 3-4 defense in the near future- probably when sapp retires.

Now look at who you have trying to play the 3-4, and tell me which 3-4 more impressive.l

#148 Raiderjoe, Oct 26, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

it is amazing that with all that world class talent on the Raiders D that they still suck so bad.

10. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Again you wish you could put the talent, the Raiders put out there, on defense. Want to debate that one. Right now due to injuries the defense not at full strength yet .
    Also Rod woodson was correct they have to do something about SS ,as they have two players in M Huff and s Schweigert who are more FS, than ss types. That where I hope J alston 6'0 225 eventually comes in. Raiders defense gets better every week, just have to eliminate the one big play.

11. Attackett

Actually I wish the Jets could put the kind of talent the Patriots do on D, the Raiders not so much. I don't know, maybe you have been watching a different Raiders D than I have but the one I have been watching stinks, bad..

12. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

the raiders defense is very good, saying they stink is ignorant

13. Attackett

Have you watched them this year? I have and they stink..

14. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Well You tried to copy the patriot blueprint on defense, but not so easy when Bellichik not the guy running it. Mangini reputation was built on defense, and wherever he been DC, that defense hasn't done anything.

Raiders have more talent on defense than patriots. Just when patriots 0ffense is playing as well, makes your defense job much easier. (see Colts - who everyone can run on ,but there offense makes you have to play catch up)

Again I wouldn't trade anyone defense with raiders. Its young and only matter of time before they start playing up to capabilities.

15. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

IM Glad you have time to watch every team. Okay if my team was as bad, as Jets, I probably watch other games too. NOw if the Raiders defense stinks, what do you call, the jet defense. Or can you call it a defense.

16. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

You realize he's been DC for 1 yr and 1 yr only right...

[/quote]
    The colts only began winning when they started stopping the run. I'm talking important games here.... They were destined to lose again until they figured out how to stop the run.

17. Attackett

What does this have to do with the Jets, the Jets D stinks too. I'm not delusional to believe otherwise. Its also not much to be proud of to have a D that is better than the Jets, the sad part for you though is they are a hell of alot closer to the Jets D ranking than they are to the top. Again, Raiders D stinks and have proven me to be correct in saying that they were so overrated after last year, which obviously they were.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

What the hell does the Raiders D have to do with Vilma possibly being gone for the year??

Jumping to the last page of this thread was a big mistake :smile:

19. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

A raider fan calling another team bad??? The Raiders are 2-4 and the Jets are 1-6, HUGE difference there I know :rolleyes: . They both suck and both are bottom feeders, to believe anything else is delusional. Give me a friggin' break.

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I appreciate the fact that the Raiders are having a renaissance season this year as "Just win Baby" rattles around this very hopeful 2 and 4 season. Enjoy the ride and congrats on the great Raider season so far, you deserve it for hanging in there as long as you have.

#160 winstonbiggs, Oct 26, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2007