Vilma lost for the year (MERGED)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by falcon4e, Oct 24, 2007.

1. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

What ever, it's not like him being out could make us any worse....

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Vilma has had a potentially degenerative problem in his knee since he played at Miami. He passed a lot of physicals before that draft and no teams flunked him that I am aware of.

I'd hope that if he was showing signs of deterioration in the knee that the Jets would sit him down as they seem to be doing.

Obviously trading him would have been the smart move given all the variables in play, however this would explain why he was not moved at the trading deadline.

3. Tight

Tight Active Member

obviously when he came here he kept him, he didnt trade him like abraham right, so wouldnt that have meant he saw something in him to keep him ?

blah

4. Pride

Pride New Member

small excerpt from yahoo sports on possible players to betraded in the offseason.

Jonathan Vilma, LB, New York Jets
    Jonathan Vilma
    While Vilma has been one of the Jets' best defensive players, he still doesn't appear to be the right fit for coach Eric Mangini's 3-4 defensive alignment. Yahoo! Sports spoke with an AFC pro personnel scout in training camp who speculated the Jets might be willing to listen to offers for the linebacker after the season if Vilma didn't take a significant step (as in a Pro Bowl level jump) forward in the team's scheme. Well, Vilma has been good, but not elite. And there are still opinions that he could be one of the best 4-3 middle linebackers in the league. That translates into some serious trade value. And with only one year left on his contract (at about $1.1 million in base salary), the Jets would be looking at a minimal salary cap hit in a trade.

And now there is the latest controversy over whether Vilma has been hobbled by a knee injury. He was uncharacteristically pulled out of several plays against the Bengals Sunday, after which Mangini claimed Vilma had a serious knee injury. Vilma denied being hurt on WFAN Radio in New York – though the New York Daily News reported Thursday that Vilma could have season-ending knee surgery. With no contract extension in sight, it's a situation that bears watching this offseason.

5. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

True, but we had to get a third team involved. Although, i do think Vilma will carry a high value if they do decide to trade him... He's clearly a talented LB, just doesn't fit into the 3-4. In any type of 4-3 or Cover 2, he's going to be a beast, like he was under the Herm era...

6. wojo2024

wojo2024 New Member

Marshawn Lynch is going to have a 100yard game I think against yall...this time you will have to worry a bit more about Trent

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I bet it's his ACL.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If you were Vilma looking at a 50million dollar pay day in year and a half, would YOU confess to a fn knee injury?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

50 million dollars in his dreams maybe. This isn't baseball and whatever he gets, he will be cut 2 years later anyway.

10. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Player........ Tot Solo Assist Sck Fumb
    Darrelle Revis 48 40 8 0 1
    David Barrett 38 34 4 0 0
    Jonathan Vilma 43 32 11 0 0
    Kenyon Coleman 40 31 9 1 0
    Kerry Rhodes 41 30 11 1 1
    Eric Barton 33 22 11 0 0
    Victor Hobson 31 21 10 1 0
    Bryan Thomas 23 19 4 2 0
    Erik Coleman 39 18 21 0 0
    Dewayne Robertson 23 17 6 0 0
    Shaun Ellis 25 16 9 2 0
    David Harris 25 15 10 0 0

I think we will miss him despite it not looking like hes getting tackles.
    Maybe in Vlimas' absense Harris will step into the role

11. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Sensible titles for all!

Don't get me wrong: I would never wish an injury on a player, especially one as classy as Vilma. I would just hate to see this guy get benched for poor play, which is what seems to be happening now, if you read between the lines. We'll find out Sunday exactly how well Vilma has been playing these seven weeks when we stick Harris in his place, who already has looked like the superior player. But I want maximum trade value for JV at the end of the season, and I honestly believe a star player coming off an injury is more valuable than a player who couldn't cut it.

#111 JCotchrocket, Oct 26, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  12. JCotchrocket

Also, I should note that I'd love to see Vilma play at the top of his game in a system that would properly utilize him. If we traded Vilma to the Lions for a second round pick next season, I think I'd have to make the Lions my new NFC team.

13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I must be misreading your title because you just did wish injury on him.

Terrible post.

If Mangini weren't so damn arrogant we'd have a pretty good defense led by Vilma. I don't understand anyone who wants to ship that off. I'd rather ship off the coaching and keep the personnel.

14. JCotchrocket

As far as Harris being the superior player:

1) watch him stop a runner. He is better against the run, period. More pop, more follow through. Puts a hit on the guy.

2) watch screen passes! Vilma is not even on the screen (tv) when offenses run screens against him. Harris has shut down a couple already in the short amount of time he's been in games. Why is our rookie displaying better field awareness than our experienced captain? (And don't give me the MLB vs. ILB excuse- it's still football!)

15. JCotchrocket

I'm not wishing an injury on anybody. Vilma already IS INJURED. I just hope he's not being INSULTED, as well.

16. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Vilma would fine in the 3-4 if they had a real nose tackle in front of him. Since they don't regardless of injury Harris is a better fit. Harris can actually take on a block and not disappear where if Vilma is ever met at the point of attack he is useless.

17. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

I see this board is still classy, as usual.

18. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

It's official

Jets are now in full on rebuilding mode. 2 years from now, maybe and i say MAYBE 5 guys remain on our roster. Revis, Harris, Washington, DBick, Mangold. Why do I not include Clemens...his Jets career is directly connected to Mangini's (which is not gonna be long at this rate)

Quite frankly, Vilma is a good player, but has never blown me away. As a previous poster mentioned...he didnt have near the impact of John Abraham. Yes I know different positions so lets just say he was no Urlacher or Zach Thomas.

Despite his injury problems and despite the fact it turned out to be a pretty good move i was more annoyed at the thought of losing JAbe. That dude could take over a game (of the 4 games he played in....lol)

Let the rebuilding begin. Woody, there will be no hiding that checkbook in 08. Pay up beoch!

I blame the whole thing on the California Fires.

19. rillo

rillo New Member

Yeah really...some of these threads really piss me off

20. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

I never criticize opinions, but, Jcotchrocket you're either 13 years old and or you're a jerk. The title of this thread is a disgrace.