Vick is miles better than Sanchez and Geno,not even close

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by champmv7, Mar 23, 2014.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Eli Manning?

2. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Dalton is a below average QB. He's capable of having a big game but can turn around and look like utter garbage the next week. Way to inconsistent to invest in long term. He has talent, but lacks consistency.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Marino I think was actually a case of where his HC and FO tried to help him, but ended up undermining him.

The key was that for his OL they went consistently for players who excelled at pass blocking, but who were not good in the running game. I mean it wasn't a rule or anything that they HAD to be bad at run blocking. They just were not chosen for their talents in such capacity.

Marino never really had a solid running game to change it up. If he had, and a decent enough D, I think he likely would have won an SB.

4. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Romo without the 108mil contract lol

5. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

you put those two together and you might have a competent well rounded QB.:rolleyes:

I think extending him might be a good idea if ( and only if) they get him on a cheaper contract with maybe two guaranteed years including 2014.

Kind of like the sanchez deal... only actually necessary by way of having one year left on the deal rather than two.

have him make 14-16 million between this and next season followed by a few years where he'd make about that much annually.

If he asks for a higher average salary like a Flacco or Cutler got, tell him to earn it and worry about it in the winter, since theres apparently no financial gain to be had by doing it now.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I always thought of Marino as a stubborn guy. You don't think so?

I definitely agree with the personnel issues though, they never had a run game or a defense.

7. Big Blocker

I agree he was stubborn, and imo he likely supported Miami's approach to their OL. The irony is their focus on pass blockers ended up undermining Marino, who would have been much better served if they had a decent running game.

The obvious comparitor was Elway, who finally made it over the hump once he got a good running game.

8. Charlie Kelly

Marino had a canned ham between his ears and still does, it's part of why he never really bothered to learn how to hand the ball off properly until he was in his late thirties

9. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

People are insane. Our rookie QB with worst offensive talent in the league had a sub-par year ... and now he is being left for dead. Geno is far from out of this race. Vick has him in experience, and should have the edge, but Geno will be the better passer before its all said and done. Basically playing the entire season without the same group of receivers from game to game ... he already threw for more attempts in a season than Vick ever has, and has already eclipsed 3,000 yards passing which Vick has only done twice. TWICE in a league where your not mentioned as being a decent QB until your throwing for 4k + a season.

Vick has the best shot to start the season as the starter, but my money is on Geno to be the man before its over.

10. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

debate over, Geno passed for 3k yards, surprised he hasn't been inducted into the HOF yet

11. Big Blocker

This is a totally misleading analysis. Anyone who knows anything about Vick's career knows his game changed after he went to Philly, which taking out the first year, when McNabb was still their starter, consisted of four years from 2010 through 2013. The first two years in that period were the years he threw for over 3,000 yards.

Why is your post misleading? Because Vick was hurt both of the remaining two years in Philly, and was replaced by Nick Foles, who finished the season in awesome style and is now their starter, likely will be for years. OF COURSE Vick did not pass for over 3,000 yards in 12 and 13. Do you think people here are stupid?

Vick even in those years of 10 and 11 played only 12 and 13 games, respectively. but it took Smith a full 16 games to barely reach 3,000.

A better metric would be yards per game. Last year Smith threw for an average of just over 190 yards per game. This is one of my big concerns about him. All the times the Jets were down and the very few times they had solid leads, when a passing attack is needed, he falls far below NFL standards for game yardage.

Meanhwhile yards per game for Vick in 10 was over 250, in 11 was over 254, in 12 was over 236. Only in 13, when he was hurt and only played six games, did his per game number fall to just over 173.

The stats and use of a fairer set of metrics completely undermine your post.

12. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yeah? Oh Yeah? Well...what about...yeah what about his last 4 games? Huh? Most awesomest QB rating in the league.

You try to poke holes in THAT stat.

:D
    _

13. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Again ... Vick SHOULD have a better yards per game based simply upon personel and the fact that he is a 11 year player in the league.

Fact ... Vick completed 44% of his passes his rookie year.
    Fact ... his career completion percentage is 56% - and has exceeded 60% once
    Fact ... other than 2010 his TD/INT ratio is bad - though to be fair at least its a positive number
    Fact ... Vick has had a better cast of supporting players around him the last few years (when his numbers improved a bit) than Geno had a year ago

And my post is NOT misleading ... it was spot on. Staying healthy and on the field is part of the job ... vick has completed 16 games once. But I guess we should just ignore that fact. And just to be clear ... I did state that Vick should win this battle, I just don't believe he will keep it.

*** My post was more about people ready to kick Geno to the curb than hating on Vick. I don't hate Vick ... in fact he is one of the most exciting players I have ever seen. But just because I think he is exciting to watch, doesn't mean I think he is a great QB.

#133 Spike_D, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  14. Big Blocker

You complained that Vick has passed for over 3,000 yards only twice. I nailed how unfair that was. Just give up.

And if your post was more about Smith and whatever, the fact remains you used an unfair metric on Vick.

15. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

This year is the year. Fingers crossed.

16. Charlie Kelly

You left out rushing yards. The only Jets who have more career rushing yards than Michael Vick are Curtis Martin, Freeman McNeil and Emerson Boozer.

17. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

What an upgrade for the Jets!!!!! I just hope Geno wins the job because Vick would be a better backup then starter since he gets hurt playing a full season so for the first time if our starter goes down the season is not over. If Folk goes down for the season Eagle fans, its over fellas.

18. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

All of this doesn't matter if our FO doesn't get us that top quality rec and rb to compliment our qb.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I love that Geno Smith defeating the Raiders, Browns and Dolphins, without throwing for more than 219 yards in any of the games, makes people think he is good or has any potential. It is pretty funny to me. If Vick can't beat him out, then he needs to retire. Geno has a lot of work to do. If he puts in the work, steadily improves week to week, maybe by 2016 he can be an average NFL starter. A decent QB like Jason Campbell, something like that. I am being nice, but I hope for the best for Geno.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I believe the perception of those games for many is warped too far towards the positive end of the scale because he was so god awful leading up to that point.

He went from tim tebow levels to looking competent against mediocre competition. I've seen people refer to that competent level as "great" which is laughable.