Vick is miles better than Sanchez and Geno,not even close

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by champmv7, Mar 23, 2014.

1. ncjetfan

ncjetfan Member

First off you make legit points but compare what foles was able to do with same weapons Vick had then factor in that Vick hasn't stayed healthy in yrs. Mccown is right around 60% comp for career which I really put stock in. Vick is better player if he could stay healthy but ability to play has to factor into equation.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

well I'd rather have foles but that ship has sailed. I wanted him last offseason when it was rumoured he could be had.

3. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I still say Geno is better off not starting this year. Let Rex figure out how this defense is going to shape up without the added pressure on Geno to have to carry the team if the defense struggles the first few weeks. Vick has experience, he is tough enough (mentally) to handle carrying the load.

4. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Vick is a move for headline - 35TD and 37 Turnovers the last 3 years, can't stay healthy, will assuredly get hurt, Smith will sit on the bench and sulk until he has to play and will suck. Season ends and Vick goes on his way and we are left with a useless 3rd year QB. Sustainable success is not made with a 34 year old starting qb with injury issues on a one year deal.

Best hope they draft a QB that beats them both out and Rex has the balls to play him.

5. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Even if Vick starts the season, Geno will be in by midseason because Vick can't stay healthy. The chances of Vick playing a complete season for us are slim to none. But Geno finished last season strong; he threw 4 TD vs. only 2 INT his last 4 games for us, and we were 3-1 in those games (look it up). Project that for a full 16, and Geno would have 16 TD, 8 INT, and a 12-4 record.....I'll take that! :D

6. 85inthehall

He isn't a backup = he is the new starting QB of the Jets. Only way he doesn't start is he gets injured or the jets draft a QB that lights it up in camp.

They are basically saying Smith isn't the guy and in a year when expectations aren't sky high the only way he gets a shot is if the 34 year old qb on a one year deal gets hurt.

So next year they go into camp with Smith -- who will have no confidence, Matt Simms, and no one else

7. 85inthehall

I am stating that as a fact. Vick did not come here to sit behind Smith. He will easily beat him out, he knows the entire playbook, he will have new weapons to play with, and the offense will need to put up more points with a weaker secondary. Smith isn't good enough to beat out Sanchez he isn't beating out Vick.

8. 85inthehall

Oh Vick isn't going to finish the season -- he will get hurt - that is what he does. However, once that happens Geno is going to flop. He would have lost the QB battle twice and if Simms has a good camp would have been outplayed but 3 QBs in two camps. I just don't see how you don't start Vick and I don't see how Vick does anything for sustainable success.

9. 85inthehall

Take it how you like it -- The signing of Smith signals the end for Geno. They haven't backed him once this off season. The only positive came from Rex when he said geno will be tough to beat and that he has some skills. He isn't costing the jets anything as a second round pick, Vick is costing much more, the hope they have is that Geno can watch Smith run the offense like it is designed - not a watered down version he ran - and learn something. They will most liley draft a QB in April too which will create even more unrest in Smith's head. Add to that Rex is coaching for his job and if Rex goes the staff will go with him which means a new head coach and new OC in 2015. Think geno will survive that purge?

10. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

What do you mean by backing him? The only way to back him is to give him the starting job right now, which he definitely didn't earn just like that.

Vick at one year, 5million is costing the Jets more than a 2nd round pick? I doubt that too. In fact, the idea that it's such a short deal means it isn't costing the Jets much at all.

Do we know it's likely they draft a QB in April? And if they do, why will it cause unrest only for Geno? Wouldn't it cause unrest for all QBs, adding another QB to the mix?

Rex "coached for his job" in 2012 and trotted out Mark Sanchez. Rex "coached for his job" last year and trotted out Geno. I doubt that's stopping him, and if he was "coaching for his job" wouldn't it be better to develop a young a QB, than try and find success with a QB on a one year contract?

There are way too many variables and signing Vick to a one year deal doesn't signal the end for Geno at all. That's if Geno doesn't improve at all and Vick plays like the Vick we think he can play at all. Those are two big situations to just guarantee and ignore all other possibilities.

11. 85inthehall

Vick will cost $5milllion - Geno $1.25 -- that is a tad bit more. I think 400% more is much more for your "backup" QB.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Matt Flynn was making far more then Russell Wilson

13. displacedfan

Blaine Gabbert is making more than Colin Kaep.

14. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We gave Vick 5 million dollar 1 year contract,I'm pretty sure Genos contract is 4 years 5 million dollars for his rookie deal.The money Vicks getting is not backup QB money its lowend starter money.You can think what you want but we did not bring Vick here to be a mentor or a backup he is hear for one reason

15. 85inthehall

Backing him with anything - you don't hand him the job because he hasn't earned it, but JI who drafted him doesn't even seem sold on the guy. Ryan needs the guy to be his backup, but he knows his job is on the line and starting Smith is not the answer.

Vick is a veteran and would have no issue battling a rookie and an avg 2nd year player. Smith would be more impacted by the signing of Vick and drafting of a QB.''

2012 - what option did he have? Mark or Tebow? With no receivers and no OC.

16. 85inthehall

My hope would be they draft a QB and he lights it up. Would rex have the guts to start a rookie again though? Flynn was on a multi year deal and they made the bold move -- Vick only 1 and done.

17. displacedfan

Rex backed him. They can't give him the job, so they didn't. They aren't sold on him, what's wrong with that? You don't think he understands he has to get better? They are improving the offense and we don't even know what they'll do in the draft in the offense to help him. They are playing it perfectly fine. I would be worried if they said Geno was the starter and didn't look to upgrade QB position. This doesn't mean it's over for Geno, it means he has to play well to get the job, which is how it should be.

You think starting Smith isn't the answer. Again, there's a whole array of possibilities where he has to be the answer or is actually the answer you're ignoring. The signing itself doesn't signal the end for Geno unless Vick stays healthy, Vick plays well, Geno doesn't play well, Vick starts and stays healthy all season, Geno doesn't improve at all and is cut at the end of next year because Vick is then resigned to a long term contract. Even at that rate, I don't see why the Jets would cut Geno. Then of course Vick has to stay healthy two years from now all season, Geno needs to be beaten out for the #2 job, and then he would be done. The Vick signing doesn't signal the ned for Geno. It signals that Geno is not guaranteed a starting spot next year.

Vick wouldn't be off put that after signing him the Jets still think the QB position needed upgrading? Granted this guy already lost his job and was fired by his old team.

Yes Mark or Tebow, "coaching for his job" and he sent out Mark and even Greg McElroy.

This move signals the Jets aren't sure what they have Geno, not that they have given up on Geno.

TonyMaC and NotSatoshiNakamoto like this.
  18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

It should be intresting to see Vick start in the "Snoopy Bowl",the back pages are gonna have a field day with that

19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence about who I think should start this year. It would be so much easier if Vick was 30 going on 31 instead of 33/34. This way you could feasibly see him taking the reigns for 5/6 years instead of only 2/3. It's hard to justify such a short-sighted move when your GM's plan is for down the road.

20. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Please explain. You can't just say dumb ass post without explaining your reasoning. Vick sure as hell isn't bringing a Lombardi trophy here.