Vernon Davis and Speculation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsVilma28, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Ramseyfan

Ramseyfan New Member

The new breed of TE means that teams have to try to find safeties who are 230, run the 40 in 4.4 and have good cover skills.

2. Coach K

Coach K New Member

you guys do alot of abbreviating. i dont think Vernon Davis will try to pick up the nickname VD.........Mike Vick has got that on lock.

THE MODS AT GANGGREEN SHOULD GET A RON MEXICO SMILEY ADDED lol

sorry just a suggestion.

3. Tight

Tight Active Member

Figured youd have to be negative. If somebody with 56,000 post would have did this youd be quiet.

If we take vernon davis trust me , I will not complain. I promise.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

VD has to be better than Shockey because Shockey is white. The Jets will own the best TE in NJ!!!!!

5. Tight

Tight Active Member

If we get vernon davis, watch coles numbers jump out the roof. NO linebacker can cover this guy. Therefore the safety will most likely have to guard him leaving coles one on one, and Ill take that matchup anyday !

Coles vs any DB

6. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Pure BS!!!!
    If the Texans were thinking of this they would've been in the J.Abe running and I'm positive we could've had a trade including them.

Man, I can't stand the newspapers.

7. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

I'm impressed by Baker too; but he could be trade bait for a full back or a decent WR.

Only take Davis if Bush, Leinart, and Mario are off the board.

That being said I love Davis. he's a great athlete. I don't think there's luck involved this time. This guy is a once in a generation freak of nature: a TE with a 4.38 40?

8. Ramseyfan

Ramseyfan New Member

Here's the bottom line:

ANY eligible receiver who draws double coverage on most plays potentially makes every facet of the offense work better because double coverage means there's one less defender available who can cover, play up the box to defend against the run, or blitz the QB.

#28 Ramseyfan, Apr 20, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  9. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Baker played in 8 games, stated in 8 games, his stats 18 rec 269yds and 1 td .In the first game of the season agianst Knasas City's weak 24th ranked pass defense he had 7 rec 129 yds and 1 td, I guess u have low expectations if u liked that from Baker.How many te's have we drafted in the 1st round anyway, when i hear some of u guys talk about it seems like draft one every year.

#29 Nesquik, Apr 20, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  10. triplebean

triplebean New Member

First Round TE + NY Jets = DISASTER

11. Nesquik

I guess what your saying is no matter how good our team is at every other position(not counting this year) in the future, and even if we have a strong need for tight end and that could be the missing piece to a superbowl or a repeat to a superbowl, we shouldnt draft a tight end hmmmmmmm, let me see your because we've been unsecsessful at drafting them in the past.
    Now I see why we cant draft Vernon Davis or any other te high, it makes perfect sense now.:up:

12. MyFavoriteMartin28

MyFavoriteMartin28 New Member

Why the hell would the Jets draft a T.E with their first round pick?!?, it doesn't make any sense to me at all. First off, i like wut i saw from Baker last season. He made the receptions and would also get some yards after the catch. Hes a strong, powerful T.E. Now im not saying he is better than Vernon, that would be stupid of me. But what i am saying is were ok at that postion. Thats not one of the positions we have a hole in. We need lineman. Im sick and tired of seeing my QB peeling himself off the turf every freakin play. D'BRICK is who we need to take with our 1st pick. Not a freakin T.E ricky williams

13. Nesquik

I agree with u, our bigger need is OT , i dont particularly want Brick , i want Williams , but if williams isnt their id rather trade down and get Justice because i think that he is not that far behind from Brick compared to the others are from Williams or Davis.

But i dont know why everbody is so high on Baker he didnt play like he could, we cant wait for him just because your scared to draft another te in the first. Thats basically betting that he will fail before he starts.U guys need to stop being blind and accept baker for the player he is.Hes had time to prove he can be a good player in this league, and hasnt proved it.

14. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Davis wouldn't be as bad a pick as some would have you believe. Knowing what Schottenheimer's background is, and the emergence of the TE as more than just a "luxury" position, drafting Vernon Davis, even at #4, wouldn't surprise me.

15. Nesquik

Emergence of a tight end who wasnt even drafted just think of what we could do with Davis.

16. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

So if Vernon Davis becomes Kyle Brady, there won't be any bitching on this board. Or the predictable whining..."Why didn't we take Mario Williams or Matt Leinart?"

17. CMartinJET

CMartinJET New Member

I see this as a way in scaring teams to trade up to the 4th to take Davis before the 49ers do. Not to far down so say like the raiders. A trade to the Raiders would be ideal, hopefully get another second rounder and another pick.

18. Nesquik

Who says Vernon Davis will become Brady and who says Leinert or Williams will be great players. We dont know yet its the draft.Unless u are a psychic and know this info already.

19. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing...

20. Khan

Khan Active Member

did Kyle Brady run a 40 that fast?