Two Interceptions/Pereira is a joke

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by crutchfield, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

lol @ that being locked...

As for the CJ TD, his hand did not stop moving. The impact forced his hand to hit the ground and that is what the refs wanted to see. It was all one movement. Like I said, I wouldn't overturn that call one way or the other simply because it was doubtful as to whether he let go of the ball or it slipped out of his hands. Ruling on the field should have been the final call.

2. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

Does that apply to the Green Bay player who lost the ball after he recovered the fumble? They refs ruled that the ball came out after he was down and had been touched by a Jet before he went down. Not only did the Green Bay defender not hold on to the ball but he lost on his own after he hit the ground. Keller hit the ground with full possession of the ball and then as soon as the defender touched him or the ball the play is over. Why weren't the Jets allowed to keep the ball and the Packers were? Double standard.

You can only rip the ball out a player's hands or recover it as long as the ball carrier is not down. We know that. Are you saying that Keller and Cotchery were not down with possession of the ball? Cotchery had simultaneous possession with the defender. That's a tie which up to now has always gone to the offense. Keller had the ball ripped out of his hands while he was on the ground.

3. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

As an outsider looking in, I think both of those calls were BS calls. The receiver was down both times and THEN the ball was ripped away. Granted, they were close, but not that close that they should have been called an INT. And CERTAINLY should have been overturned on replay.

4. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

whether they were bs calls or not is irrelevent. Our receivers allowed the ball to be ripped away from them. Our players enabled the BS calls by not protecting the football - ESPECIALLY after we lost 1 of those. No Excuses - We failed. Losers whine about BS calls and the truth is we allowed the ball to be taken from us. We enabled the BS calls to be made.

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that's bullshit. it isn't the players fault if the refs don't do their job, and these were obvious calls that the refs failed to call correctly. the receivers caught the ball and were on the ground -- they did their job. the refs failed in their responsibility plain and simple.

6. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

At this point refereeing in the NFL has been so bad lately that I just see it as another elemental obstacle to overcome, like wind, rain, or a drunk fan throwing D batteries at the players.

7. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

WRONG. they allowed the ball to be taken away from them. That isn't doing your job. Thats called not doing your job.

8. Willie WhiteShoes

Willie WhiteShoes New Member

I know an ex-bookie that's been saying this for years :)

9. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

I think you would make a really good NFL ref. Don't you know the rule that once you have been touched by a defender and you are down the play is over? What about the Packer defender who recovered the fumble and lost it when he hit the ground, the Jets then recovered the ball, and the ref ruled the play dead because the ball came out when he hit the ground? Isn't losing the ball on your own just as bad as having it ripped out of your hands?

I know what you are going to say. You are not doing your job if you let the ball get ripped out of your hands.

But you are doing your job if you lose it on your own?

The refs did not do their job on the BS INTs but did their job on the fumble recovery!

10. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Your rational on this is ridiculous, they didn't enable anything. What your saying is that the players had the ball ripped away from them but according to the rulings they never had possession. Every kid that has ever played football from Pop Warner through the pros knows that once you hit the ground and a defender hits you the play is over. All of a sudden the rule changes that dual possession goes to a defender not once but twice? Why even have the rule then because it was clear that both times there was no clear evidence that the defender ever had possession of the ball?

11. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I actually blame Rex here for not saving his last challenge. Even sitting up in the 300s it was obvious that 2nd challenge wasn't going to get overturned.
    That said...the officials use the replay as a crutch, imo. Its the responsibility of the coaching staff to use those challenges on the right plays. They're just too valuable in today's game to use them on a "what if" or a "looks like it" type of play. Plus you lose a timeout.

12. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I would say the first challenge, down in the 100 level we all thought it would most certainly get overturned.

13. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

hahah. That's why I didn't mention that challenge. I agree with you. The 2nd one was way too ambiguous to challenge. They really needed it on the Keller play, which I agree with the OP, horrible call from the officials. We're all looking at each other up there like, "aren't we the home team?"

14. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

You must have some sort of "see the future" eyes, cuz it obviously was worth challenging. And even with the super slow motion replays, the commentators thought it would get overturned until your buddy Pereira said it won't. Don't blame Rex for the challenge. Every HC in the NFL would challenge that.

15. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

How long do they need to hold the ball? They caught the ball, they hit the ground, they were touched by a member of the opposing team.

Are receivers supposed to consult with refs prior to the play to find out what the rules for a reception and down are this time? They did what they are required to do by the rules.

16. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

TY-

I can't believe a Lions fan is arguing with a Jets fan about 2 obviously shitty calls that went against us.

Oh, actually I can believe it, its' AbundleofSalamim, the self hating Jet fan.

17. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

The problem was based on what Perreira said the play couldn't be overturned so the refs should not have allowed Rex to challenge the play anyway. Based on his comments there was nothing that could have been overturned. Even Moose and Albert were blown away.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

While I do think both those INT calls were BS, the answer to your question is "until the whistle blows". At least that should be there thinking for now on.

19. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Listen up man, the opposing team comes out to play aswell u know. Its not always all about what you do. Our receivers did well. Their primary job was to catch the ball first. The moment they did that, the defenders tried to snatch it out, and since our WRs were going to the ground, they were off balance while defenders were well balanced and could use their full strength to snatch the ball out. Go watch a Jets game sometime.

20. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

Yeah well, I've only seen Perreira a couple of times and both times he hemmed and hawwed until the refs came back with a ruling, and then starting defending that ruling as the correct one for this, this, and that reason. Seemed like a bunch of bull to me.