TV's: Plasma vs LED

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Thanks eyedea. I will get it.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Buy a higher grade of HDMI cable and your problems should disappear.

3. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Great advice, you can pick up a good one for a decent price on Amazon.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Do you have any recommendations? I don't know enough about HDMI cables to know which are of a higher grade / quality? I'm certainly willing to try this out. :up:

5. Cman68

What you wanna look for Edge, is the rated "scan rate" of the cable, not the manufacturer. All HDMI cables are NOT created equal as some can handle higher frequencies than others. For example, my TV has a 240Hz scan rate for HD. In order to see the clarity that scan rate provides, I would need a HDMI cable that can handle 240Hz or higher. You could see issues with BD if your HDMI cable is rated only for 60Hz (standard).

Rule of thumb, buy an HDMI cable that can handle the scan rate of your highest rated piece of equipment. That could be your BD player instead of your TV. If your HDtv scans at 60Hz, your BD will be the higher piece. Look for a HDMI cable that at a minimum, can handle 240hz. You'll see higher prices the higher up you go in scan rate capacity of the cable.

Better higher than lower but don't go overboard on the cable. Money is too hard to come by to waste. If you have a HH Gregg nearby, that's would be a great place to start your search.

Now, in your situation, I would think a HDMI cable that can handle 120 or 240Hz should be just what you need. Not overly expensive depending on the length. HDMI cables have scan ratings on their packaging as well. Cable length is always a consideration.

Hope this helps!

#25 Cman68, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  6. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

From what I've read, that scan/speed rating is pure garbage.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/speed-rated-hdmi-cables.htm?hdmidept

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/120-hertz-hdmi-cables

As for the issues mentioned, it could be anything; the way devices are powered on, bad board, bad cable, too long of a cable run, etc.

It's time to either research and play detective or pony up and buy a new TV.

Since you said old, I'd probably go with the latter.

7. Cman68

To each their own.. We all have our experts that we listen to. I know what works for me and I also know cheap cables suck period so I don't believe that all HDMI cables are equal. I'll buy into the cable run length possibility as all cable has some signal loss to a degree.

Cheaply made cables are exactly that. Cheap Cables also age out as well and problems with connector ends happen. New HDMI cable just might be what the man needs.

Not everyone can go buy a new TV so sometimes, if an inexpensive fix can net you a few more years of use, that would be the road to take. Incremental upgrading may be his route here.

#27 Cman68, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  8. xxedge72x

This cable is listed as HDMI Category 2 Certified and is $6.50, good fit you'd think?

http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Sp...TF8&qid=1386680460&sr=1-1&keywords=hdmi+cable

BlueRigger High Speed Braided HDMI cable with Ethernet 6.6 Feet (2m) - Supports 3D and Audio return [Latest Version]

•Category 2 Certified - High-Speed 10.2 gbps / 340 MHz (Supports up to 240hz Refresh Rates and 48-Bit Deep Color)
    •Supports all new HDMI advanced features such as 3D, Audio Return Channel, Ethernet, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master AudioTM
    •Fully compatible with all blu ray players, Xbox 360, PS3. Supports resolution 720p, 1080i, 1080p and beyond
    •Fully Shielded Heavy Duty Premium Nylon braided Cable - 6.6 Feet (2m)
    •1 year warranty

9. Cman68

Sounds like a winner to me. Hell, if it wasn't so much trouble, I'd replace mine but that would mean I'd have to take the TV down off the wall and I'm just too damn lazy for that shit again. :grin:

Again, if this doesn't fix your problem, then you could very well have a major hardware issue. But, spending say $13 buks or so is better than a few hundred especially this time of year.

The reviews of this product and company should give you a sense of security as they seem on the level as far as quality goes.

Hope that fixes your problem Edge. Keep us posted man! :up:

#29 Cman68, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  10. xxedge72x

Thanks for the advice C-Man! Going to pick up 3 of these bad boys and see how it does. I'll let you know once it comes in. :beer: