Trust Tangini on Turner Decision (video)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rickjet, Feb 2, 2007.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Preseason play is meaningless except to coaching staffs. But thanks for yours. :)

2. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Joseph Addai: 5 years - 11 mil - 5 mil. signing bonus
    Chester Taylor: 4 years - 14 mil - 5.5 mil. signing bonus

So whats the big deal? You act like we will have to offer Turner 7 years, 50 mil. and 20 mil. guaranteed or something like that. Turner will come in cheap. The rookies wont be really cheaper to sign. Turner is a lot more proven than the college backs and he's still only 24. He's actually younger than lots of college players our there.

3. DaBallhawk

Uh..yeah. That doesn't even make sense, but go ahead.

4. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I would have to believe that Turner will command at least Lamont Jordan money. Jordan signed a 5 year 27.5 million dollar contract. Why would he demand any less considering how similar Turner's situation is to what Jordan's was? Come on now - do you still consider that cheap?

To me that kind of money is a big deal. Thank you for looking up Addai's money for me because it puts it into perspective how much more expensive of a gamble Turner will be. Turner will cost us around 5-6 million a year and IF we drafted a rookie in the 1st round it would cost us around 2-3 million a year.

So now that the facts regarding dollars are laid out, I ask again, do you really want to gamble that much on Turner becoming an all-pro?

5. AlToon4prez

AlToon4prez Member

yes, I want to gamble on Turner

6. DaBallhawk

We don't know how much money he's going to ask for. He could ask for a Chester Taylor/Lamont Jordan type of contract, who knows. He's a great guy, he's not selfish or anything like that. I don't think he's going to ask for a huge contract. He's not like Lamont Jordan. And no, i don't want any of the rookie RBs. Michael Bush hasn't played football since 05 and Tony Hunt couldn't outrun Mangini in a footrace. We already have those type of backs on our team in Barlow and Houston. Plus Turner is not a gamble. I've seen enough of this kid. He is young. Great character. He is reliable. He breaks tackles and he can take it to the house from anywhere. You can't ask for much more.

7. baamf

baamf Active Member

I don't agree. This is his chance for a big payday, he owes it to himself and his family to get the most that he can. NFL careers and pay checks don't last for long....

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

In the NFL it's all about money and being set for life. If you think anything other than $$$ is going to be in Turner's mind when he sits down to negotiate his contract you do not fundamentally understand the situation.

9. DaBallhawk

He's only 24, he will have plenty of chances to get his big payday, but he needs to establish himself as a starter first in order to get it, and i hope he realizes it. I have faith in our front office though, they will do the right thing.

10. billo83

billo83 Member

Since when does preseason play have any bearing on the real season? How may times have the Jets gone undefeated in the preseason and then not make the playoffs. You stated that Turner dominated in the preseason against starting defenses. Do you really believe starting defensive players give even half an effort in a meaningless preseason game? Their jobs are not on the line, they are trying to avoid injury, and most of them don't play in that many snaps. Some only make cameo appearances. So "dominating" in a meaningless preseason game means nothing as to how the player will perform when the games start counting.

11. billo83

billo83 Member

Come on you can't be serious. Turner will be looking for a huge contract, especially if teams are foolish enough to offer a 1st round pick, or a second for that matter. All it takes is one injury to end a players career and with no guaranteed contracts the players and their agents are going to go after big money, especially when they are a RFA with high draft picks being offered.

Turner is not a gamble? Wrong! He hasn't proven anything except that he's a good backup, and one who isn't thrown to. Until he proves he can be an every down back, he is a gamble. I see your point with drafting a RB high (I don't really want that either) but Turner would cost that high pick and get 2-3 times more money than a draft pick. In that case I'd rather draft a RB. Both would be gambles, but we'd save a ton of money and have a younger player.

Spending this kind of money and draft picks on Turner would be more reasonable if he was the missing piece to a SB run. But the fact is we have a lot of work to do on both lines, and need to add quality CB before even thinking about giving up a lot on Turner.

#91 billo83, Feb 6, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  12. billo83

billo83 Member

This is the one thing I agree with you on. The FO I'm sure will do the right thing and not give up a ton on Turner. Thanks for your input!!

13. jaybo1015

jaybo1015 New Member

look at it this way:

Michael Turner-RB- Chargers Jan. 23 - 2:56 pm et

Scout.com reports "sources familiar with the Chargers" believe the Jets are willing to trade their first-round pick for Michael Turner.
    Turner, a restricted free agent, isn't even under contract with San Diego, but this appears to be a possibility once he's tendered. The Jets would then explore signing him long term.

that is the 25th pick... if we have to give that up i think it is fine because we have the 38th pick, we can still get an impact young player and we can still do a good job in the rest of the draft like we did last year. i think there is no doubt we need a RB and i think this could be our guy, a true replacement for curtis.

^^^billo you have to take chances in the NFL and looking at turner vs leon/cedric/25th pick, i like turner

#93 jaybo1015, Feb 6, 2007
  14. billo83

billo83 Member

Yes I agree that you have to take chances - but I don't want to take a chance with Turner because I see it as another LJ situation. I'd rather see us improve the lines and secondary before addressing the RB. After all, games are won and lost in the trenches and we need a lot of help on both lines. I think too many people get caught up in the highlight clips and say the player is a must have without thinking about the other needs.

As far as the scout.com comments, they are rumors and should be traeted as such. How may rumors actually come to fruition? That being said, I would lose a lot of respect for the FO if they give up a first rounder and huge contract for Turner at this time.

15. DaBallhawk

I'm not talking about the result of a preseason game. I'm talking about 1st string defenses against 1st string offenses. The outcome of the game is meaningless because the starters only play like one quarter. Turner played against the Bears and he destroyed them. Turner virtually bitchslapped his way through their defense. You can't say it doesn't matter. Do you think Urlacher or any other defender likes to get slapped around? Or to miss a tackle? Or to give up big runs? I'm not saying regular season game = preseason game but you can't just say it doesn't matter at all.

16. baamf

baamf Active Member

I think that is a bit strong to say. He had a total of 55 yards on 6 carries and one of those carries resulted in 45 of those yards. One play does not make him Jim Brown....

Oh and by the way, the Bears won that game 24-3 after being "bitchslapped" :smile:

#96 baamf, Feb 6, 2007
  17. billo83

billo83 Member

Re-read my post - I only mentioned records and the such in the first 2 sentences, the rest was my opinion on Turner vs the defense. Again, the defensive starters don't play anywhere near their ability if they play at all, so I don't think I good performance against them in preseason means much at all. I think you exaggerate a little in your post about his performance, but at any rate, no I don't think Url and the other starters care that much if he had a good game against them. They care about not getting injured, and getting the rust off and not so much about making great plays in a meaningless game.

18. billo83

billo83 Member

Thanks bammf, I didn't realize that was his dominating performance stats wise. He had one great play, and then averaged 2 yards in his other 5 carries? I wouldn't call that bitch slapping the defense.

19. DaBallhawk

Have you watched the game? He dominated them. They tackled him at the line of scrimmage and he still gained yds. He broke a lot of tackles. Watch the 45yd run and you will know what i mean by getting bitchslapped. He broke like 3 tackles, went to the outside and then he bitchslapped CB Tillman out of bounds. It was hilarious. Youtube deleted that file, though. Oh and it's not just ONE big run. It happens EVERY game. Every time he's in there for about 5 carries he will make a bigrun.

20. baamf

baamf Active Member

Listen, I understand you are trying to make your point, but this is not a dominating performance to hang your hat on. He had one nice run (which I have seen), and 5 other mediocre ones. It was a good preseason performance for a RB trying to get into game shape for the regular season. You are putting much to much emphasis on this one game.

1-10-CHI46 (14:52) M.Turner left end to CHI 44 for 2 yards (T.Johnson).
    2-2-SD36 (12:46) M.Turner right guard to SD 36 for no gain (H.Hillenmeyer).
    3-2-SD36 (12:03) M.Turner right tackle to SD 37 for 1 yard (A.Brown, H.Hillenmeyer).
    1-10-SD20 (6:35) M.Turner left guard to SD 23 for 3 yards (A.Brown).
    2-7-SD23 (5:52) M.Turner left guard to SD 27 for 4 yards (B.Urlacher).
    1-10-SD31 (4:21) M.Turner right tackle to CHI 24 for 45 yards (D.Manning).

It is clear you value Turner more than I do, I would not give up our first pick. If Tangini decide to do it, I will embrace it and hope he becomes the next Walter Payton, I just don't think it is the right thing to do at this point. JMHO....