Trust Tangini on Turner Decision (video)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rickjet, Feb 2, 2007.

1. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

[​IMG]

thats the reason why the chargers can run the ball. Neal pancaked 2 lbs at the same time.

2. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

And ONNNNNNNNNNCE again: He broke every record at NIU, so stop the "is he reliable?" crap please. He IS. You don't have to carry the ball 10.000 times in 2 years to prove that you're reliable. There's no reason to assume that he's not.

Dude, every backup RB who doesn't stink could be compared to Lamont Jordan statwise. What's your point? These two guys have nothing in common except for being big backups. Turner is not even an UFA.

3. JetsLookingforDWare

Why IS his college production being ignored? If its cause he went to a small school, so did the "greatest RB of all time" he's backing up.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's not being ignored, it's being accorded the same respect it was by NFL teams who passed on him until 2/3's of the way through the 5th round.

5. DaBallhawk

Thats exactly why he slipped. Because of all the records he broke. :rolleyes:

6. Br4d

He slipped because he does not receive well out of the backfield and because of the fact that teams did not know if he would adjust to the speed and impact of NFL caliber players.

Ron Dayne broke a ton of records at Wisconsin as a huge player with decent speed. Then he got to the NFL and everybody beat him to the holes and was also bigger than him.

Turner seems to have adjusted fairly well to the speed of play, however until he actually has to go up against fresh defenses keying on him nobody is going to know if he's good or just a good change of pace back.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

So this offseason it's going to be obsessive fanboy threads about Michael Turner, then?

8. Br4d

Yah it looks like the fanbois and the tommyknockers are gonna have it out until he's traded somewhere, gets a ridiculous offer from somebody as an RFA or the Chargers just stop pushing the rumor mill.

And yah I'm an unabashed tommyknocker.

9. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Yup this offseason can be summed up pretty much right there. Of course throw in, The how we should have drafted McNeil, Colston and Anderson threads, along with the should we bring back L. Jordan and and trade for R. Moss threads or last but not leastest what if <insert former pro bowler now a scrub here> gets cut should we sign him threads.................

10. DaBallhawk

He pretty much destroyed every preseason opponent the Chargers had the past 2 years. Tomlinson never played a snap in the preseason so Turner is their no.1 back in the preseason. Against 1st string defenses. FRESH defenses. Like i said, he destroyed them.

11. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

But what about Dom Rhodes? He looks like stud to me.....

12. Br4d

Rhodes would fit okay in a RBBC. He's a step up from Barlow and Houston.

13. JetsLookingforDWare

Completely agreed.

Rhodes was mighty impressive tonight (should have been MVP), but this is so typical of NFL fans. Guy has a career game and BAM, he's the new thing. Rhodes is a good talent, but he's much less of starting material than Turner looks to be.

14. billo83

billo83 Member

Preseason means absolutely nothing. Clemmens had an great preseason too, but he's not starter material yet. More than ever now, I hope we avoid this guy like the plague. Over hyped isn't close enough to describe this love fest with Turner.

15. JetsLookingforDWare

This is where I disagree with people.

Turner's only main flaw right now is his price tag. Everything else, unless I'm missing some, can be easily rebutted.

For a second or even a third, I doubt anyone on this board would argue he's the best back available.

16. billo83

billo83 Member

He still hasn't proven anything other than he's a good backup, and one who isn't a good receiver. There's a big difference between being a full time starter and a change of pace back. I think too many people around here get caught up in the highlight reels of Turner in second half and garbage time play. Jordan also looked like a superstar in those type of clips. IMO I would not even give a 2nd for him. We couldn't get that for LJ, why would Turner be any different? Let him become a UFA than go after him.

17. Br4d

Lamont Jordan was actually a much better prospect in 2005 than Turner is now. He had the credentials as a first day pick and he had demonstrated an ability to play all the roles that a mainstay needs to play.

The two questions about him were how he would look when defenses were keying to stop him and how durable he would be as a feature back.

Well in 2005 defenses keyed to stop him and he looked fairly ordinary as a rusher, although his receiving skills stood out in a positive way. So the first season as a feature back was a wash, he didn't positively prove he could handle the whole role and he didn't flunk the audition either.

In 2006 he broke down with a torn MCL.

That in a nutshell tells you how much of a risk Turner actually is.

18. Vegi5894

Vegi5894 New Member

Just wanted to say the vid really does do a good job of showing what he is capable of, and thanks for the link, its great

19. DaBallhawk

Clemens played against 3rd and 4th stringers. That's why he was our backup. Thanks for your input, though. :)

20. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I have yet to hear what your feeling is on paying this guy lamont jordan money. You reply that drafting a RB is a gamble just like Turner. Well somebody here mentioned, and I must have missed your response, what about the difference in what you will be paying Turner(an expenive gamble contract wise) vs. a rookie(cheap gamble comparitively).

Yes we have cap space - but we worked hard to get it. Are you willing to just gamble those dollars away? Should we be stuck with a horrible contract if he doesn't pan out to be the can't miss pro you are billing him as?