Training Camp Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jul 19, 2023.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Faria:
    Duane Brown getting some OL reps with the group. Mitchell looks to be in for Becton in this drill. #Jets (Video)

First team sessions begin and no Mekhi Becton. He’s off to the side with the rest of the offense. #Jets

It doesn’t look like Becton is in any type of pain. Might just be part of the team’s recovery plan for him. We’ll obviously know more on Saturday. #Jets

Starting offense ran some red zone plays against the 1s on defense. Some notes:
    - Rodgers found Cobb in back of end zone on a great throw. Cobb still knows how to get open.
    - Michael Carter followed some good blocks from Turner and Tomlinson for a score. #Jets

Breece Hall is getting some reps in work against scout defense. #Jets

The Rodgers-Wilson connection is still a work in progress. Wilson ran a great route inside and had room but Rodgers threw behind him. #Jets

The two instantly connect for a TD on the next play. Still plenty of time to develop that chemistry but it’s not perfect just yet. #Jets

Alright that’s it for the media at #Jets training camp.

- Light practice day today with emphasis on install.
    - Rodgers-Wilson connection ends on a high note
    - Good looks in red zone from offense. The group will be much better than in previous years.
    - Next up: #Giants on Saturday.

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Rosenblatt:
    Duane Brown in position drills (along with Joe Tippmann): (Video)

Mekhi Becton isn’t participating in 11 on 11 today it seems like. And didn’t see him in position drills.

#Jets working in the red zone to start practice. Aaron Rodgers with a dime to Randall Cobb in the back of the end zone. TD.

Training camp is over. It ended with an Aaron Rodgers TD pass to Garrett Wilson.

Cimini:
    On the final play of practice, Rodgers finds Wilson in the corner of the end zone for a touchdown. Wide open. Easy pitch and catch. #Jets

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Rosenblatt:
    It was a rest day for Mekhi Becton, per the Jets.

Cimini:
    Update on Mekhi Becton, who didn't practice: The #Jets are calling it a rest day, noting that he participated in the walk-through.

#1323 KY Jets Fan, Aug 24, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
    Borat, NCJetsfan, IDFjet and 2 others like this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Rosenblatt:
    #Jets training camp is over. I've been tracking every Aaron Rodgers throw in 11-on-11 during practice, including who he throws to, for this: Here's my unofficial final tally for all of camp.

Rodgers completed 170 of 268 passes (63.4%) with 18 TD and 4 INT. Targets (with Rodgers throwing):

- WR Garrett Wilson: 35 targets, 22 catches (and this is even with missing two weeks.)
    - WR Allen Lazard: 28 targets, 16 catches
    - RB Michael Carter: 28 targets, 24 catches
    - TE Tyler Conklin: 27 targets, 22 catches
    - WR Randall Cobb: 14 targets, 12 catches
    - WR Mecole Hardman: 12 targets, 6 catches
    - TE CJ Uzomah: 12 targets, 10 catches
    - WR Corey Davis: 11 targets, 3 catches
    - RB Bam Knight: 11 targets, 10 catches
    - TE Jeremy Ruckert: 9 targets, 7 catches
    - WR Malik Taylor: 9 targets, 4 catches
    - FB Nick Bawden: 8 targets, 7 catches
    - TE Kenny Yeboah: 5 targets, 3 catches
    - WR Jason Brownlee: 3 targets, 2 catches
    - RB Breece Hall: 2 target, 2 catches
    - WR Alex Erickson: 3 targets, 2 catches
    - WR Irv Charles: 2 target, 1 catch
    - RB Izzy Abanikanda: 1 target, zero catches

This often can be an indicator of what the target share will look like in the regular season, though it should be noted that Cobb/Uzomah missed the beginning of camp, Dalvin Cook/Breece Hall missed just about all of the 11-on-11 reps and Corey Davis came in and out of the lineup before retiring.

(Another note: I did miss two practices, and in some practices where the media had a bad view it was hard to chart exactly who was targeted on some passes.)

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I hope you are right about Max, but this is the second year. While he did have blood clots, he was able to train in the offseason. "Mitchell was placed on the non-football injury list, but will continue to train this offseason. "When you get to this level, it's minute stuff," he said. "Training my pass set, my explosiveness. I'll take a look back at all my game film. I have definitely some stuff in mind, but just get better and faster and stronger.""

So, I am not willing to give him a pass. I saw him play all pre-season, and he was not good. Pass Pro below average, and running game is atrocious. There is something to be said about Billy Turner being ahead of him, and every report suggests the guy is getting beat like a drum in practice. At least in preseason Billy looked somewhat decent, unlike Max. To me Max is depth, a 3d stringer, PS type of guy right now. And given this is already a second year, I am just not sure he will get much better, though I hope you are right and he will.

6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Well said, anyone who isn’t good by the end of preseason of year 2 will never get better.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. The first time I saw them I almost spit coffee all over my monitor and desk. Truly goofy looking.

8. NCJetsfan

Wow, both Lazard and Hardman really need to step it up. That is not good, especially since we'll be counting on them so heavily this season.

9. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

They are goofy looking, but if the NFL was truly concerned about player safety beyond merely lip service, they would be required equipment. I’m sure someone could make them more aesthetically pleasing , but is that more important than protecting the players? If they do provide better protection then it should be worn at all levels

stinkyB and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Stats don't tell the full picture. It is so comical seeing fans making statements on Jets fan sites based solely on player's stats.

cval and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I wouldn't stress about it too much.

I highly doubt Rosenblatt tracked whether it was a drop by the WR or an errant pass by Rodgers.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

unofficial stats in practice no less

IDFjet and KY Jets Fan like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

True, and as he said, sometimes he was a long ways from the field where the offense was. That said, how many errant throws does Rodgers have? Not that many. I remember reading TC reports and Lazard and Hardman DID drop a lot of passes, and it wasn't just Rosenblatt reporting that.

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Ehh, I wouldn't be so sure. I remember hearing of some miscommunications (hard to tell who messed up without knowing what the playcall was) and even Rodgers said on either Hard Knocks or 1JD that he's been a little inaccurate with GW.

It was TC, they're still trying to gel as a team. We just need to hope they got most of those kinks out during TC/Pre-Season but I envision some early season struggles from the offense as they continue to gel.

15. NCJetsfan

I seriously doubt that any miscommunications were on Rodgers. They would have been on the WRs for running the wrong route or missing one of Rodgers' hand signals changing the play. Rodgers said that he's been a little inaccurate with GW because he's so fast out of his break. He didn't say that he had been inaccurate with other receivers. I'm sure that he probably has missed a throw or two to other receivers, that's natural as they're building timing and chemistry, and learning each other, but I still think that most of the problem has been the WRs. What's Lazard's excuse? How many years has he played with Rodgers? They know each other very well, and have great chemistry. They both know the scheme backwards and forwards. We've seen Lazard drop quite a few passes that were accurate. I'm not really concerned yet, but after seeing all the dropped passes from Jets receivers over the last several years, I'm tired of it and see no excuse for it. There are some WRs in the NFL who are fast and more athletic than they are football players, so their hands may be more suspect, but most NFL WRs should rarely drop a pass, especially when it hits them right in the hands.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

With the training camp over, what's next? Week off next week then game week practice a week after or there are some activities next week?

17. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

for those who have been to practice im very curious about Sauce vs Wilson. Does one seem to have the edge over the other or is it pretty even? Also how does 8 ever have time to throw when up against the 1st team Dline?

18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but we don't have a "week off" any time soon.

19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I think Xavier Gipson won his spot on the team with yesterday's performance. He's more explosive than Brownlee albeit definitely smaller.

I think the Jets roll with 5 WRs and 4 TEs, Brownlee and Kuntz to the practice squad.

20. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Who is your 4th TE if it's not Kuntz?