Training Camp Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jul 19, 2023.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Oh man, please don't let Brownlee be seriously injured! No broken collarbone or shoulder blade, or dislocation, nothing torn.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yes and no. We don't have a 260 pound bruiser for a RB. Those short yardage, say 4th and goal from the 2, or two point tries, a good FB is worth his weight in gold. Picking off the MLB'er up the middle, giving the RB a clear path to glory, etc.

But outside those specific plays, ya a FB is kind of a dying breed.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

and

I freaking LOVE reading these comments!!!! There should be no more comments about his refusing to play RT. He sounds more mature and like his head is on straight. He took responsibility for getting the wrong surgery. He opted to try to come back quicker and had a different, less involved procedure. It didn't work out and it cost him another year. The fact that he tried to come back quicker doesn't sound like he wasn't committed to playing or didn't work at his rehab. His knee still being sore limited him in what he could do. OL are used to eating massive amounts of calories a day. I believe that it's hard to just stop that cold turkey when you're injured, and then have to ramp that back up once healed. That explains why he ballooned to 400 pounds. It wasn't that he was just sitting around loafing and eating.

I have a feeling that in his 20-25 snaps on Thursday night, he's going to make some Browns players very unhappy that he's back.

4. NCJetsfan

I like Hughes but it's comments like the one bolded above that turn me off to his reporting. Why would the Jets trade Becton before week 1? That makes zero sense. Turner has not looked good so far in TC. He's been said to be on skates, which is not what one wants to hear about one's OTs. Brown is coming back from surgery on both sholders and is 38 or 39. Unless a team has one of their starting OTs go down and don't have a quality backup, the Jets would get little in return for him. More importantly, if he's healthy, he's one of, if not the best OL they have. If they're serious about protecting Rodgers and making a SB run, it would be totally stupid to trade Becton. The only they should even begin to think about that is if by the trade deadline Becton isn't starting, Brown and Mitchell are playing at a high level, Turner has started looking a lot better in practice, and some team blows them away with a crazy offer.

KY Jets Fan and Borat like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

It would be nice to have one of those bruisers, but it isn't necessary. Some teams accomplish the same thing by using a TE, a backup OL, or even a backup DL. Remember when Refrigerator Perry played FB some? I think there have been others. Hackett's supposed to be very creative. Roster spots will be at a premium. It would be a crime to lose a young WR, TE, DB, LB, RB, or OL that they'd really like to keep because they kept Bawden.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

What could they even expect in a Becton trade? Nothing that helps them this year, that's for sure.

7. Footballgod214

When Brownlee becomes the first UDFA WR to be admitted into the Hall of Fame on First Ballot, will he go in as a NY Jet? I say, YES! And Aaron Rodgers will be brought in from the Cali Senior Center to give the speech!

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Mini Fridge?

ukjetsfan likes this.
  9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

The depth at receiver is meh, so he really does have a chance to get show this season (barring some late addition).

Footballgod214 and ouchy like this.
  10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

So.. I know Joe Tippmann has been (relegated) to third team duties thus far. Not ideal as a fan. Not something to freak out about either.

However.

I haven't seen or read how he Is actually doing In training camp? I may just be blind.

Can someone enlighten me on how his play on the practice field has been?

Is he sucking ass? I'm confused on why he Is a 3rd stringer right now. Especially when WS has been struggling with handoffs when taking 1st team reps.

?

#470 IIMeanDeanII, Aug 1, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
    Nyjets4eva likes this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I had assumed they were bringing him along slowly. I didn't really take anything from the 3rd string designation. They kept McGovern and have the freedom to do it.

Ruckert disappeared last year too because there were already 2 vet TEs ahead of him and he was sort of redshirted. He's getting some run now.

stinkyB and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  12. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

FTFY

13. NCJetsfan

I haven't seen his name mentioned at all except for what unit he is playing with. I think he's adjusting to the speed of the NFL, learning the complex WCO, and learning to read more complex NFL Ds so he can make protections calls, but who knows?

IIMeanDeanII and westiedog1 like this.
  14. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

drafting Abanikanda is the warning bell

15. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

stark

KY Jets Fan, BacktoQueens and stinkyB like this.
  16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Heading into the first preseason game, here are my layman observations:

The Good:

Jermaine Johnson: I liked the pick but didn't love it last year. Wasn't convinced he could become a dominant pass rusher. By all accounts he's been the star on the defense so far.

Jason Brownlee: UDFAs are impossible to predict, but the jets might have found a good one here. Should make the team as WR #6 and special teamer.

Tony Adams: I said it during the off-season that I thought the Jets staff really liked this guy and now we see why. Another UDFA who could be an impact player.

The Bad:

Tippmann: Drafting their top rated C in the second round I really was expecting him to have an immediate impact. It's early but I was hoping he could step in as a first day starter.

The LB depth: I don't think this was adequately addressed in the off-season and losing out on Kwon stinks.

The Ugly:

The OL situation: Between the injuries and poor play, this unit looks really weak. Obviously, when Brown comes back and the line gets reshuffled, we will have a better idea of what to expect. But right now, it is worrisome.

17. Footballgod214

His name escapes me now, but one of our own Dlineman from a few years ago was our short yardage back. Rex was coach then....didn't really use him tons, but he ran a few balls into the EZ!

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good high level cut at it. Agree
    I would add that a couple of undrafted rookies in the secondary are really shinning, hopefully we can keep them, and the depth and strength of the D line is amazing,
    Aside from Brown that is intentionally held back in training, what other injuries to the O line do we have?
    Thursday game will be fun to watch

Lon Chaney likes this.
  19. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Sheldon Richardson, DT.

Footballgod214 and Lon Chaney like this.
  20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Thanks. That was a close one.

JetFanInNE likes this.