Training camp reports 27/7

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ten, Jul 27, 2007.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

he'll do for now , but we should be aiming higher in the future.

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I'm not worried about Smith at all. He showed obvious talent last year, in a transition to positions he hadn't been playing at the collegiate level. He'll be fine.

As for Mangini saying he'll be a QB who only plays occasional WR, may I remind you that this is the same Mangini who doesn't tell us what he ate for breakfast.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't know how much more you can expect out of a 4th round rookie project player playing a new position for the first time. IMO he did a hell of a job last season.

#43 WhiteShoeWillis, Jul 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  4. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

seriously.

how many guys with that description even see the field their first year?

cheers

5. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Exactly. I don't know what more you could want from him. He's already playing up to his worth, IMO, and I still see him improving in the coming years.

My only concern is that, depending on Mangini and Schotty's growing creativity, will they be able to come up with fresh gimmick plays for him? In the NFL, trick plays wear out their novelty real quickly, as teams learn and adjust at a rapid pace. Opponents will be looking out for him this coming season (like they were near the end of last year), so it'll be doubly hard for the offense to get away with those sorts of tactics again.

6. CuseMO57

CuseMO57 New Member

he's certainly a useful player to keep around, even if he is not the number 3 or even 4 receiver right now...he plays great on special teams and can do a lot of different things and has the potential to be very good. they just need to find him a better role than obvious runs from the shutgun formation

7. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

This is the usual bunch of first day rumor crap!

To hell with Kendall. What the heck is Vindictive about the Jets keeping him. He signed his contract, and he got plenty of up front money to take a cut of his base salary. He made the deal, and now he's acting like a spoiled brat. Maybe he wants to play in Miami - but to heck with him. Maybe we keep him and he'll play or maybe we put him on the bench. I used to - that is USED TO like Kendall.

I'm not worried about Smith at QB or WR. I think he'll end up a very very good WR - and never play QB. Mangini does like to smoke screen.

Big deal, Reavis isn't in yet. If he misses more than a week, I'll worry - until then no issue.

Yes they looked ugly on day one, so what? What they look like by the start of the regular season is all that REALLY matters.

8. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

i agree.

if anything, i don't mind him learning several positions because he'll know the Offense that much better -- probably more than anyone not named Pennington. so by the time he's (hopefully) ready to be a WR, he'll know exactly where to be and what to do on every down.

cheers

9. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

^
    ^^
    ^^^
    ^^^^
    Whoever.

Yes hes OK , but thats it , OK. I'm not happy with OK.
    There are gems to be had in the lower rounds and yes hes done OK. But thats it.
    Personally I don't like gimmick players which if I'm honest I see him as. I don't care that hes a 6th round pick , hes on the team and Mangini sees something in him , enough to keep him around anyway.
    I have two questions , why now start talking about him as a QB? Is he done as a WR?

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Here are my thoughts on the change to the QB position. There are obviously a number of other possible reasons - I'd really like to hear Mangini talk about why this move is being made, but I'm almost positive he'll say next to nothing about it.

reporter: So why did you decide to move Smith to the QB position?
    Mangini: Brad is a good player for us. He's very smart with an excellent work ethic and I think he can help our team at a number of positions. QB is one of those positions.

11. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Brad Smith is something else. Can you imagine if we have a Change of Pace Qb that actually throws passes instead of just running. That will give DC's fits. I love it, they will have to plan for Smith as well (hopefully) which should take some pressure off Chad P.

I'm sure if something happens to our depth he can step in at wr on a bigger basis.

12. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

brad smith is a 4th round pick....houston was a 6th..just to clarify that
    smith is a great flex player...not great at any position but decent at a few
    and bc of his style of qb play...he will play as much or more than he did last year
    which means teams will continue to have to game plan for 2 completely different qb styles
    adds competition to the slack areas...such as 3rd qb/5th wr/and 3rd rb

13. In Mangini We Trust

In Mangini We Trust New Member

pro bowl season for Chad in the AFC with quarterbacks like Brady, Manning, and Palmer will be toughhhhhhhhh...he will have to have a season like 2002 when he was young, healthy and the NFL didn't see much of him which led to 22 TD and 6 INT....wow, how great was he that year

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

and Vince Young now too...if the Madden Curse doesn't get him, everyone that just jumped off of the Vick Bandwagon will be jumping on to Vince's.

15. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

I'll be honest, I wasn't that impressed with Clemens today. However, its very early and I'm definitely willing to wait because I think he will be very good.

I'll post pics later tonight. It was hot as balls today :)

16. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Funny moment of the day:

Around 9:30, Leon is walking back towards the endzone, turns and barfs up a healthy amount of vomit. He then kneels down for a while, rinses out his helmet, and gets back to work. The volume was McNabb-esque, I was impressed. He practiced well today too.

17. CurtisMartin 28

that should be a fun game....................

18. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

While I'm still in major baseball mode, reading all of these reports is getting me back into football mode.

19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The early reports seem to indicate that he's not improved much, and that he's not even close to challenging for the starting position. It's kind of disappointing to hear, but I'm willing to wait it out before passing judgment. At least until we see him in the preseason games anyway.

Hope he gets it together...especially since all the Phins fans are crooning about Beck and how well he seems to be preforming in workouts and his first day of TC.

20. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

I'm a training camp n00b, and it was a great first experience. I only stayed for the morning practice, but I saw a great deal. Some thoughts on some issues that caught my eye

1) Wadsworth is in great physical shape, He wasn't too explosive today and was blocked real well in one play I saw by Sean Ryan. I'm pulling hard for him. He's a big guy so he looks a little weird as an OLB at first glance but my early impressions are good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2) Danny Ware could be our #3- I like his vision that he showed in non-contact drills and it carried over in the mini-scrimmages they had. He's got a good burst but isn't too elusive. He's not a good returner either from what I saw. He's got good size too so it will be fun to see him throughout camp. Thomas Jones is a bad, bad man and will be a great asset for us but he did have trouble blocking one LB during some pass-protection drills (think it was Kowaleski or however you spell it!). Leon throwing up was funny (after he ran a lap from fumbling, I got a lucky picture of that)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]