Training camp reports 27/7

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ten, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Denny

Denny Active Member

I'm sure like any other QB Chad is itching and able to go down the field. But his career here in NY has always been conservative due to the nature of the offense. Jets have been a run first team up until last year of which they diverted to more of the short passing game making up the gap left by a questionable running game. Even if the running game is successful as everyone hopes I can't see the passing game evolving enough to make Chad an overnite threat.

Chad will only be as good as the time he gets in the pocket and also his success ties into Jones' ability to change the opponents game plan towards himself. The game plan calls for lots of high percentage passes which fits Chad's abilities. Kendall is still a ? and not sure if the right side of the line will step up and deliver this season. This has been hashed and rehased but it just sticks out. Chad is not good under pressure and dink and dunk will not get this group through the playoffs if they are fortunate to get there. Which would hamper a pro bowl birth. So I'd like to agree but too many variables a nd missing elements to make Chad a pro bowl caliber QB.

2. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I don't think that Smith will stick. I doubt he can stay on the team as a QB and if he can't become a full time receiver then where is there a spot for him?

3. Gator

Gator Active Member

I think he'll definitely be on the team. He's a jack of all trades. If your punt returner or kick returner gets hurt during a game he can fill in there. He can take a handoff, a pitch, he's a good trick play guy. He can play receiver (he made some very big catches last year). He can play QB and run the option for a play if need be....or, he can take the snap and just run off tackle on 3rd and 3. He can throw it too. He also makes tackles and covers on special teams. Good guy to have on your team and by no means a wasted roster spot with all he can do. Every season, something will happen somewhere where you will be happy you had this guy.

I'm expecting big things from him this season wherever he may appear.

4. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

I think his versatility and potential earn him a spot, assuming he continues to develop as expected.

5. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

You forgot Special Teams coverage. He was awesome last year. Kinda dissapointed though, I was hoping he would be the 3rd receiver. Clemens must look like crap.

6. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Obviously these coaches know how to judge talent and development, but still, I want to know why Smith has nto looked like our future #3...

7. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I've never seen such analysis of the very first day of training camp....

Stuff like "Rhodes got beat, that should'nt happen."

I don't get overly excited about the very first day of practice.

8. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

How come nobody is addressing the fact that Cedric Houston is "gone for good"? That seems like the biggest news of the day to me.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

There are a few pictures of him playing QB at training camp today on JI. This is disappointing to me that he's not going to be a WR anymore, hopefully he can do big things as a QB. I was really hoping to see more, not less of Smith this season.

edit: To me, the CS moving him back to his natural position at QB is a very good thing, and not a bad thing as others have suggested. I could be very wrong, but here's how I see it. Coming into the NFL draft, our FO basically told him there's no way you're playing QB for us, but we'd like to have you as a receiver. He comes in and learns how to play receiver gets a decent amount of PT in his rookie season, and impresses on special teams.

For a guy that never played receiver before, I think he did a hell of a job learning and playing the position against the highest level of competition out there. He did this in his FIRST YEAR. For the CS to move him back to his natural position, he must have really showed them something about his ability/potential to play the QB position in the NFL.

Of course this is all just optimistic speculation on my part, but it makes sense to me.

#29 WhiteShoeWillis, Jul 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  10. xBleedingGreen62x

What time is the next practice...5? is there somewhere i can get the TC schedule and times?

11. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Well, considering he was converted to WR just a year ago, I'd imagine the learning curve would be quite steep. To think he'd get it down in just one season may be unfair expectations, despite his obvious physical talent. Another season working the ST unit and gimmick/situational plays should be enough time to buy him some more experience, and hopefully a shoe-in #3 spot next year.

12. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

But Mangini said in the press conference that he is a QB

13. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

I'm back to believing this Kendall thing won't end well.

14. Coach K

Coach K New Member

simple, hes had 1 yr in a complicated offense where the staff has chose to play him at multiple positions. let alone the fact he made a position change going from college to pro.

he hasnt looked like a number 3 because the team is still trying to see exactly how much money they wasted on McCareins before they finally decide to get rid of him.

he also hasnt been put on the field enough at WR to prove he hasnt progressed.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hahahahahahahahaha!

16. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

I haven't caught up to the news today, so I guess I missed that press conference. I'm sure that, just because he's listed as QB, doesn't mean he won't get any time at WR...unless, did Mangini say he would be strictly QB now?

17. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I think he put it as "Brad is a QB who will occasionally play some receiver."

18. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

the people who have said to give Smith more time are absolutely correct; he's still learning a new position. his versatility alone keeps him on the roster.

it's funny, last night i thought back to last year (i think?) when we had that DE from the Browns or something who we thought might make a difference; then he dismissed himself from camp and never came back. looks like the same is happening with Houston. i have to say, i'm disappointed because i thought Houston was solid depth, and i really liked his running style.

cheers

19. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Brad Smith , jack of all trades master of none. Give me a player that is best at his postion over a jack.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Not everyone can be the best at their position (obviously) - especially guys taken late in the draft. Part of the Mangini mantra has been flexibility, so I'm sure he'd like to have a few "Jacks" on the team.

I still have high hopes for Smith.