Tom Brady suspended for four games Overturned!

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Yisman, May 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benhamean

benhamean Member

EXCEPT the CBA does not throw out established labor law, arbitration procedure, and other laws of basic fairness (which the NFL did violate on many fronts).

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

There is nothing unfair in allowing Goodell to decide it if that's what he wanted to do. If the CBA didn't call for that and he did it anyway then it could be vacated. The owners want brady to go down or it would be over and I am sure they have collectively prepared their next move if this doesn't go their way and probably their next move after that too and it can still end up in a lockout if they were to continue to lose.

3. benhamean

benhamean Member

The CBA doesn't put Goodell above the law. The CBA is predicated on labor law. So... Goodall can do what he wants within established legal confines. (This excludes lying and making shit up, sadly for ol' Rog).

4. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

You get one shot to depose a witness. They should have done their due dilligence prior to the first meeting. I wasn't talking to you anyway.

You must be pretty happy to have an animal abuser to back up your rapist starter. All you need now is to get Jared out of jail for a 3rd QB.

New England Patriots likes this.
  5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What did Roger lie and make up? It's not like he claimed "the deflator" was a nickname based on losing weight.

6. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Hey Perry Mason, you don't have a fucking clue whether there is a legal way or not.

I personally have no idea whether he has a legal basis to vacate the decision. But for every Lester Munson that says the NFL can't lose, there are a bunch of attorney's blogging that think he can.

7. Weetabix

Weetabix New Member

I hope grief councilors will be standing by at Hater Elementary School if this punishment is vacated...

8. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Sure hope they have a net installed under the bunker hill memorial bridge when it's upheld.

9. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

So the biggest news to come out of today's highly anticipated hearing was that the courtroom sketch artist spent the days leading up to it practicing how to draw Tom Brady ... and did "better" today....

10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Except it wasn't a deposition, it was an investigation and in an investigation witnesses routinely get questioned more than once.

11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I wish brainless muckers would at least think up something resembling original thought before coming here and wasting space on the site. Fuck you and the last 18 generations of your ancestors.

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  12. SteveGrogan

SteveGrogan Well-Known Member

I hope Brady wins for two reasons.

The obvious, and I hate NFL ownership, especially for taking public money and would love to see them smacked down.

Gunther likes this.
  13. Weetabix

Weetabix New Member

Might also be because Feely was the central figure in the NFLPA's best case example demonstrating how Goodell over-reached by 10 miles here. When the Jets were caught trying to slip tampered K balls to him in 2009, no investigation was ever done on Feely nor was any punishment handed down for "general awareness". I'm sure Jets fans have a million excuses as to how this Brady case is different, but the fact is they accused the Jets of tampering with balls but they never went after the player who would have benefitted from it and obviously knew what was going on.

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I don't recall anything about the Jets tampering with K-balls in 2009. I don't doubt it happened, I just don't seem to remember when. I'm assuming it wasn't during the AFC Championship game?

15. AugustWest

AugustWest Active Member

2009 Jets-Patriots incident becomes issue in Brady case

Posted by Mike Florio on July 30, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

From SpyGate to #DeflateGate to tampering allegations to two (and sometimes three) games per season, the Jets and Patriots have had a combustible relationship in recent years. Fittingly, a previously unknown chapter in the rivalry has made its way into the Tom Brady suspension litigation.

Paragraph 111 of the 54-page lawsuit filed Wednesday by the NFLPA elaborates on a point briefly addressed in the ruling from Commissioner Roger Goodell upholding the Brady discipline. In 2009, the NFL suspended a member of the Jets’ equipment for attempting “to use unapproved equipment to prep the K[icking] Balls” before a game against the Patriots.

As the NFLPA points out, the NFL did not investigate or discipline the Jets kicker for “general awareness” or specific involvement, even though the Jets kicker (like Brady in this case) was the player most likely to benefit from the behavior and, in turn, the player most likely to be aware of the conduct.

The NFLPA explains in its lawsuit that the decision not to investigate or discipline the Jets kicker “was perfectly consistent with the Competitive Integrity Policy’s application to Clubs, not players.”

So why suspend Brady under a policy that applies to teams and not players? At paragraph 108 of the lawsuit, the NFLPA claims that “a fine would not have quenched other NFL owners’ thirst for a more draconian penalty.”

The 54-page filing says nothing more about owners wanting a “more draconian penalty,” and no specific owners are named. Given the history between the Jets and Patriots, the NFLPA probably believes that one of them was Woody Johnson.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...patriotsincident-becomes-issue-in-brady-case/

16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Odd that report takes six years to see the light of day. I wonder if Feely's status within the NFLPA had anything to do with the fact that this is only coming out now.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

thats all a bunch of BS. there is no smoking gun of proof. The unapproved substance was just green tea extract as it was a scheme to lose weight, not anything to do with football DUH

18. AugustWest

AugustWest Active Member

Hmmmm, sounds a lot like Deflategate.

19. benhamean

benhamean Member

Goodell's appeal ruling stated that Brady's testimony about texts with Jastremski didn't mention the deflating controversy, when the released testimony showed that Brady testified that they absolutely did discuss that. Roger lied to try and make Brady look shifty. (Goodell is also facing contempt charges in MN for lying there, BTW).
    Goodell made what the judge called a 'quantum leap' in what Brady was supposedly guilty of, with no new or relevant evidence. Goodell made shit up to make Brady look more guilty.
    The judge ordering this info released has exposed Goodell, and that is why Brady wanted the information public and the NFL did not.

So, the CBA may grant 'sweeping powers' to the commish, but those do not extend to complete non-evidentiary, bogus, fictitious bullshit, or to the option to replace established protocol and precedent with fantasy and partiality.

20. benhamean

benhamean Member

Berman has already stated that he has vacated arbitration rulings for withholding witnesses (which the NFL did). Judge was saying- HERE is PRECEDENT, guys. See it? RIGHT HERE. Sure you don't want to settle?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.