Todd Bowles new Jets HC per Schefter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BigGreenUgly, Jan 13, 2015.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think Quinn was 1A w/ Bowles being 1B. Bowles was always in the conversation - it's crazy every football guy is talking Bowles up big time.

Glad we don't have to wait until after the SB to hire Quinn - we got an early start.

2. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

They were 24th in yards but 5th in scoring

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Really? I think he's 63. Nobody's asking him to open holes in the line, just to use his mind. Do you know a lot of people whose thought process has failed them at such an age?

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Do I know of a few folks that shouldn't be making instant critical decisions at age 63? As a matter of fact I do. Don't forget, he's gotta be at the Jets facility for some really long hours going over film and devising game plans. He's going on road trips to very distant places. He's got to put in almost as many hours as Bowles will to be successful. On top of all that, he's gonna have to teach his system in TC and most likely throughout the first year too. Waking up in the morning is gonna be a bitch for Chan after a few months back in the league.

Chandalf will earn his keep no doubt. Trust me, all that travel and long days take a toll when you get past a certain age. Now unless he's the very picture of senior health, lets not forget that he IS a senior. Westhoff is about the same age isn't he?

I wonder if Chandalf is really asking: Do I really want to put myself thru the NFL grind again?

#384 Cman68, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's a SIX in 63, not an EIGHT. How old is your father? What is/was he doing at 63? Most people of 63 are still working and working very effectively.

6. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Let's face facts, no one knew or cared about Todd Bowles before he came on the radar as the Jets new coach. 24th in total defense this year with three pro-bowlers, zero experience running an offense, yeah great pick.

I mean maybe he'll be great but most first time coaches flop badly and the last thing we need is to take a flyer on a guy with no experience and who has been a marginal defensive coordinator in his short tenure.

Really dumb emotional pick IMO. And WTF is Maccagnan, and WTF is this guy Casserly making every critical decision for this team? He started working for the Jets 5 minutes ago and now he's picking every single cog for our team? No one on this site ever heard of any of these guys until two weeks ago. First time GM, first time HC, no quarterback, should be an awesome 2015 season, looking forward to the cheap tickets by week 7.

GoldenShowers likes this.
  7. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/01/new_jets_head_coach_todd_bowles_named_assistant_co.html

8. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I heard talk of Bowles as a HC a couple months ago actually.

among league circles, well he was interviewed damn near everywhere and was considered one of the bigger HC catches in the carousel.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

[​IMG]

Jeti likes this.
  10. TonyMaC

11. dr.velociraptor

Bowles inherited a top 10 defense and by his second year they're 24th in total defense (29th against the pass) with 3 pro-bowlers on the unit. Whatever, the guy isn't as good as Rex on defense and knows even less about the offense. He has absolutely no credentials to be named a HC in the NFL. This was an emotional pick because of his ties to Arians, kind of like the Mangini hiring.

The Jets were 6th in total defense with NO SECONDARY, I mean Rex did an amazing job with absolute crap, no players in the secondary and the worst QB in the NFL. I get a shake up IF the right coach is there, but Todd Bowles? Give me a break...

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Please stop Mehta-ing the poor guy. He's a good coach and Rex sucks.

13. dr.velociraptor

He can't hold Rex's jock on defense and has zero experience as a HC so your assumption is of course retarded. Rex took us further than any HC in basically half a century.

Rex 6th in total defense with no secondary, literally the worst defensive backs in the NFL. He also had the absolute worst QB in the NFL now that Blaine Gabbert is out of a job for the last two years.

Idzik was terrible and had no players and sat on 20 million, he's an idiot and it's why he'll never work in the NFL again. Rex will have a career in the NFL for the next 20 years if he wants it.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I bet those 63 year old folks aren't putting in a solid 18hr/7day week at work either not counting travel. I have a feeling they're not going Xcountry once a week, 8 times a season and then spending several days there nor have the kind of pressure that exists on a NFL sideline. 63 is old for that sort of thing. I'm not saying he can't do it at his age, but please don't try to convince me that being a NFL asst. coach is anything like a normal 9-5 cause no way I'm buying that.

Now if Chandalf is gonna halfass the job, that's an entirely different discussion isn't it..

#394 Cman68, Jan 15, 2015
  15. TonyMaC

16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'll take Bowles over Rex any day of the week. Those are lame excuses for a 4-12. Bowles had injuries too at Arizona and was able to adjust. Rex was down one CB (and had a ton of 1st round guys on the line and at LB) and all you hear are excuses. His D was good for two downs but on 3rd and long he sucked the big one. He got his stats but what about the losses.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. dr.velociraptor

Rex didn't draft Geno, Rex didn't put the team together with no defensive backs (which Rex's defense is centered on), Rex didn't sit on 20 million and pass on Revis, Rex did none of these things and managed again a top defense, we were 4-12 because Geno was terrible, and Vick was terrible, and Idzik was the worst Jets GM in recent history, not because of Rex.

So you'll take Bowles over Rex? Why? Give one legitimate reason other than "well maybe he'll be good"?

Bowles had 3 pro-bowlers he adjusted? he had the 29th ranked pass defense and 24th overall, the only reason he gets any notoriety is because the team made made the playoffs. He inherited a top 10 defense basically and left them 24th in total defense. He has zero experience with offense and will be saddled with no QB and a terrible offense just like Rex.

18. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

Tood Bowles was interim head coach for the Dolphins in 2011 after they fired Sparano.

Arizona's defense was 7th in defensive DVOA while the Jets were 21st in defensive DVOA- according to profootballoutsiders - often taken to be a more indicative, cumulative statistic of a team's ability

Todd Bowles' team made the playoffs. Rex's did not.

Just sayin.

74 likes this.
  19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I watched a bunch of Cards games this year and they had a very good defense - better than anything Rex had here after 2010. They may have given up yards to make them 24th overall but they were 5th best in points allowed which is far more important than yards allowed seeing how that's how they decide who wins games. The Jets were 24th in that category btw. The reason they won 11 games was the defense.

I see Rex has brainwashed people into his mentality of yards allowed by his defense are the most important thing.

#399 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Jan 15, 2015
  20. dr.velociraptor

It wasn't Todd Bowles team, he was the DC with the 24th ranked total defense, just sayin...