Todd Bowles doesn't need an Elite QB to win games

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsruby, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I'm not getting your point

2. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Look at the Super Bowl winners from the past... I don't know 40 years and tell me you can win without a franchise QB, it's been done but it's very very rare. This is absolutely a QB league and you won't win anything of importance without one.

And Geno is hands down the worst QB in the NFL now that Blaine Gabbert was traded and sat down.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

this is what you say when you dont have an elite QB. and you dont need oen to win, although it makes it 100 times easier. i dont think that means he wants scrubs, but you can get by with a guy who doesnt make mistakes and converts on 3rd downs now and then.

to me this means they arent taking mariotta and arent freaking out about it

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

There are a few average/above average QB's in the league that are considered franchise QB's. If we can just get one of those guys I think we can be alright. Getting an elite QB is a long shot. With the team we have now we could get by with a journey man but that isn't a sustainable model for winning in the long term.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

When you have mediocre QB's on your roster that's all you can hope for.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

you have palmer ahead of roethlisberger? ahead of aaron rodgers? ahead of rivers? ahead of wilson? ahead of luck?

7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yet some here think it's a good plan to build around a jag.

_

8. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I don't think most are saying we don't need a franchise or even a good/great QB. However, we're trying to build the team as best we can without one in the mean time.

9. JStokes

My point is two-fold which supports my criticism of folks wanting to pass on one or both of them.

We're likely not to be in this position for a very long time (drafting top 6) because we're going to have a team that will be at least middle of the pack and it's not likely that there will be 2 QBs coming out in the same draft that whilst we're drafting so high.

Maybe they both fail. Unlikely and even more unlikely that they completely wash out and you get minimal return for them (JaMarcus et al)--plus with the new CBA, the financial hit is minimal.

Passing on one or both of them now to bolster a position that isn't quarterback is perpetuating the mediocrity.

Last year and this year are the years to strike. We may not have this chance again for many many years.

_

#69 JStokes, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    NYJetsO12, Brook! and joe like this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He certainly doesn't have the show biz aspect down...he speaks thoughtfully and intelligently.

What a radical concept. The more I see him in interviews, the better I feel about this new FO.

Rex should've been kept on to lead the J-E-T-S chant...but he'd probably misspell it.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

Would rather have Garrett Grayson or Bryce Petty than Hundley.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Sorry I had Palmer on the brain from my post about The Cards. I meant to include Rodgers. Thanks for the catch.

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

A thought about this smokescreen take on things...

I don't get the idea that the Jets might be pretending to be interested in Mariota, or not for that matter, in order to draw interest to them for a trade of the sixth pick. Either way. The objective reality of the draft is far more significant than atmospherics of that sort. The Bears are behind hte Jets and there's alot of talk that they would be interested very much so in picking Mariota. I think any team that is interested in getting Mariota and thinks they can put together a package that would make it worthwhile for the Jets to trade out of the sixth pick is going to make that call no matter what the Jets brass is saying.

jerseyjay14 likes this.
  14. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

lmfaoooo @ the black rex

15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I love how Bowles never coached an nfl game yet and already "He doesn't need an Elite QB" he isn't Bruce Arians who was an offensive coordinator.Let's just sign Curtis Painter to a 34 million dollar deal then

legler82 likes this.
  16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

So did Tampa Bay

17. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

How many franchise QB's never won a Superbowl due to lack of support in certain areas? Elway was elite for a long time, never did win one until his skills were waning. Football isn't a QB game, it's a team game. Going 2-14 until you get one is stupid.

RexontheBeach likes this.
  18. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

I heard Hundley's accuracy while throwing on the run was like 0%.

And that when his first read is covered or he senses the slightest whiff of pressure he takes off.

Doesn't sound like an NFL starter to me.

We may just need to face the reality that outside of the top 1 or 2 this QB class basically sucks. You can't force it if it's not there.

I'd rather have a semi-blue chip prospect like Philip Dorsett (hypothetically, for argument's sake) in round 2 or 3 than a project like Hundley who seems destined for the Tajh Boyd scrap heap.

19. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Yeah but when a golden opportunity to tank presents itself like with the Curtis Painter "led" Colts and Andrew Luck, you do it with no apologies or reservations.

20. JStokes

Some would call you a bad fan.

Doesn't 4-12 feel SO much better than 2-14?

_