Tim Boyle will start vs Miami

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Nov 20, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

because at the end of the day the offense as a whole is judged on yards gained and points.
    300 yards and 9 points (3 FGs) is better then 100 yards and 7 points (TD)
    an 80 yard TD counts as 1 first down. it's better then getting 5 1st downs and 0 points.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Boyle can probably throw screen passes to Breece as well as Zach, which is our entire offense.

So there is that.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Touchdowns are points scored, duh. But the defense and special teams can score points too - and they have, thank god or we'd be winless.

REVISion, HomeoftheJets and SOJAZ like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

all teams have that same situation which is why technically the NFL ranks them on pure yards, however that doesn't account for turnovers. going 60 yards every drive for 0 points is worse.
    the steelers D has won then 5 games by creating turnovers in the last 3.5 mins of each game. hell one guy on dallas has 4 pick 6's by himself already. tied an NFL record.

5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Man to be a fly on that wall…

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

@broomulack no locker room problems at all. They were/are behind Zach. :D

7. BrowningNagle

so what is your point?

The Jets offense is 31st in pure yardage out of 32 by the way. Only 26 more yards than Carolina who is dead last.

8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…to me it’s weird to add in defensive and ST points scored…they should track Offense Points Scored as it’s own number and then you can add in the defensive and ST ones after the fact…but in the end, I’m just guessing that the D and ST points scored are just not a big enough number to really matter.

But to me, if you’re judging offenses, you should look at offensive points scored, total yards, third down conversions…those 3 stats alone will tell you most of the story. Maybe add in turnovers like picks and fumbles…those are also important and often game changing.

Then if you’d line them all up and compare the 32 teams, you’d have a good sense of which are better than others, and also you’d see outliers like if one team has really high points scored but lower yards, then you’d be able to assume maybe they have a great D getting them turnovers and short fields, etc.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

It's absolutely wild to me that one guy is still dying on the zach wilson hill. Even CC has come over to this side. I haven't seen NCjetsfan in a while. Nania probably hasn't published anything positive about zach and defending him so NCjetsfan has no ammo to use.

Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  10. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Man, if hospitals operated the way the Jets operate, we would all be dead from papercuts.

11. GasedAndConfused

actually were 30th as I already said (goes by YPG not total yards since some teams haven't had a bye yet)
    the point is we are bad, but saying historically bad is a hyperbole. it would imply we are the worst in many years decades even. we aren't even the worst this year currently although It wouldn't surprise me if we finish the year last

12. GasedAndConfused

I'm not dying on a hill. I've literally said all year he's a bad QB. he had a couple of games where he looked good if you grade him on a scale of being a backup, but thats about it.
    it amazes me the lack of reasonable content from fans when their team is bad.

13. GasedAndConfused

it would make more sense to track defensive points separate. but thats the issue with stats. it's just a result recorded. what if the D gets a fumble at the 1 so the offense goes 1 yard for 7 points. not quite the same as a 75 yard drive for 7 points.
    it's why officially they only use yards to rank the offense but even then no system is flawless.
    it's funny though because in FF they don't count defensive scores against the other teams defense for points allowed but they count the XP

Jets79 likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

ok so the Jets are terrible, and will likely finish with the single worst offense in 2023 as you acknowledge, but not "historically bad"

lets raise a fucking banner to celebrate

tomdeb likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

not the point, the point is the extreme hyperbole is just lazy. you can just say the offense is shit without the need to oversell it. we all know it's shit.

16. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

we were suck ON OFFENSE FOR yeARS before Joe D..

we havce managed tio get slightly worse in his "reign" thats damning.

2016 Jets 26th in ypg offense 30th ppg
    2017 28th annd 24th
    2018 29th annnd 23rd

avgs
    27.66 (28) and 26.66 (27)

enter Joe D AFTER 2019 draft so we'll skip 2019

2020 32nd ypg 32nd ppg
    2021 26th and 28th
    2022 24th and 29th
    2024 30th and 30th

28 and 30th

net effect negative closer to the bottom in scoring... whcih, in case you forgot, is HOW YOU WIN!!!

17. BrowningNagle

Hyperbole is calling touchdowns “an obscure stat”

18. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'd prefer Siemien but I understand giving Boyle his shot from the human side of things. Its a real team with real people and Boyle has been there since day 1 putting his work in. Not to mention that he goes back a ways with Hackett and Rodgers. I'm not expecting him to beat the Dolphins but I'm not 100% sure it'll be a debacle.

I hope he goes out there, stabilizes things, and makes it respectable. And I'd like to see the team rally around him trying to do all of those things.

I still feel like this can be a pretty good unit with some OL health/help, another decent WR, and a QB. As bad as the results have been lately I don't feel like this is a raging dumpster fire mid-long term.

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He is the definition of an average back up QB. That is it. I think majority of us get that.

However, this backup QB has not moved the ball for a month. It is time to try something else. Doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. So we make a change and go from scoring less than 1 touchdown to half a touchdown a game? Who the fuck cares at this point? Does it even matter? But not trying something different is quite literally insane. Everyone here knows Zach isn't the only problem, but he is part of the problem.

Not sure why that is so hard to understand for some people

20. GasedAndConfused

no team in the NFL has ever been ranked on TDs alone. they rank offenses on YPG as the official stat and PPG is also used.
    taking 1 stat that is never used to rank a team offense and then using it to say the offense is bad, is disingenuous at best
    the offense is bad, it's awful. you don't need stats to prove a point. we all have eyeballs.